Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2010, 02:12 PM
Restricted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Mark, it's XMP...

XMP is basically just a performance-oriented RAM settings profile. If you have a kit with an XMP profile and a motherboard that supports it (basically, a board with an Intel chipset), then you can enable it and theoretically obtain better memory performance. You shouldn't need to use XMP to run 6 sticks, though for overclockers it might help obtain better stability at higher speeds.

See here: Serial presence detect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for clearing that up Zero. I'll be OCing for sure, we'll see if I get that much of a difference when using 12GB or 6GB. I didn't notice much on my previous rig when using 4GB with the CPU at 4.2GHz stable WCed, then 8GB 4.1GHz stable same cooling method. Same type of OCZ RAM also.
Old March 14, 2010, 02:31 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
You shouldn't need to use XMP to run 6 sticks, though for overclockers it might help obtain better stability at higher speeds.

Rezo, I means Zore , Zoro .. anyway ... it's in the qualify list of asus , they said it's qualify for 6 sticks with XMP only , don't know if they means qualify with or without OC, put I know that many peoples have to give more volts even to just post with 6 sticks... so it will make sense.

to the OP.. why you don't get other rams on the list, Corsairs have quite a few listed, who don't need XMP ( I have to check the order of those F*** letters all the time )
Old March 14, 2010, 05:13 PM
Restricted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Rezo, I means Zore , Zoro .. anyway ... it's in the qualify list of asus , they said it's qualify for 6 sticks with XMP only , don't know if they means qualify with or without OC, put I know that many peoples have to give more volts even to just post with 6 sticks... so it will make sense.

to the OP.. why you don't get other rams on the list, Corsairs have quite a few listed, who don't need XMP ( I have to check the order of those F*** letters all the time )
I may still. Depends on pricing. The OCZ's are only $169.99 per kit.
Old March 14, 2010, 05:20 PM
Banned
F@H

don't just look at the price , especially if you want 12 gb..
Old March 14, 2010, 05:32 PM
Restricted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
don't just look at the price , especially if you want 12 gb..
$1500 was my original budget for this build and as it stands with everything I'm at almost $1700 including taxes. Already $200 over. O_o I have to consider money.
Old March 19, 2010, 03:15 PM
Restricted Poster

Okay, I just grabbed my parts today;

Intel i7 930
Asus Rampage II GENE
12GB OCZ's
Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
WD 500GB Black SATA
WD 1.5TB Green SATA
Cooler Master 212

Now it's dismantling and building over the next little while. I'm selling my current parts (Q9550, Gigabyte Mobo, RAM, and Sapphire 4890) for around $400-$500. All are less than 7 months old and in amazing condition. PM me for details. I have a few bites already, I choose to deal locally if possible so it can be a face to face transaction. hehe Can't wait to OC! Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread, your help was much appreciated. :)
Old March 19, 2010, 07:59 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Let us know how it goes .
Old March 20, 2010, 05:12 PM
Restricted Poster

So far so good! Temps are hovering around 35C idle and 52C give or take a few degrees load. Haven't even tried OCing yet. The BIOS differs from what I'm use to, and I have never OC'd a i7 before. Anyone have some suggestions on where I should start? Like what to disable for sure before I start my OCing journey.