Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2010, 04:34 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default New i7 Build

Hey HWC,
This is my first build and I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on weather this is a good build or not.

Components:
Case: Cooler Master HAF RC 932
MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU: Intel Core i7 930
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green
Power Supply: Thermaltake LIFE TIME WARRANTY ToughPower QFan 750W
RAM: G.Skill 6GB (3 x 2GB) Tri Channel Memory
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 5850
CD Drive: Lite-On IHAS124 DVD-RW Internal Drive
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: CM Storm Sentinel Advance Mouse
Monitor: LG W2253TQ-PF - LCD display - TFT - 22" - widescreen - 1920 x 1080

Total: $2270.18 (AUD)

What do you guys think? anything need to be changed? Or is it all good?

Thanks in advance,
Jamula66
Old March 12, 2010, 07:40 PM
MVP

Two changes should be made, one is possible;

Swap out the PSU for a Corsair 750TX or (if you really care about modularity and can afford to pay for it) the 750HX.

As for the HDD, go for either a Caviar Black or (if it's on the site) a Spinpoint F3. The F3 is a bit faster, but the Black has a longer warranty, to put the advantages simply.

I've also heard some poor things about the Lycosa, and you might consider instead going with something like a G110.
Old March 12, 2010, 08:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the advice Raserei,

I think I'll stay with the power supply because it is modular and it's cheaper than the HX750

I probably would change the hard drive but my dad is paying for 60% and he wanted 1TB

I too have heard mixed reviews about the Lycosa but I decided that I'd give it a try, I hadn't seen the G110 before and after a quick look I think I will go with it.
Old March 12, 2010, 10:02 PM
MVP

I'd take the 750TX over the Toughpower. It may not be modular, but that's really only an issue if you're not willing to work at all on cable management (or your case just has horrible cable management, which is just not the case with the HAF. You can take literally every cable from the PSU and throw it immediately into a hole behind the motherboard tray. If you don't need it, there's room enough that you can just leave it there. Hell, I've got a non-modular PSU in an Antec 900 (terrible cable management) but it doesn't look half-bad. Took maybe a half-an-hour to an hour of work, but definitely worth it.

Looking on the site (and just now realizing the Caviar Black is $150, which is FAR overpriced; not sure why they only have the 64Mb version available...) your best HDD option is the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB. It's only a hair more than the Caviar Green (which are just too slow, especially as a boot drive) and it'll actually perform quite well. Some people have had issues with Seagate drives, but those are the 7200.11 revisions; I've never read of unusual problems (at unusually high rates of occurrence) with the 7200.12s.
Old March 12, 2010, 11:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post

Looking on the site (and just now realizing the Caviar Black is $150, which is FAR overpriced.
It's in Australian dollars, the price is ok.
Old March 13, 2010, 12:13 AM
MVP

...I'm aware, but even in comparison to the other HDDs on the site it was outrageous. The comparable Seagate drive I recommended was only $102.
Old March 13, 2010, 01:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Any perticular reason not to go with thermaltake or is Corsiar just a personal perference?

With the hard drive I chose the Western Digital because it had a 64mb buffer (the seagate has 32mb) and because it has "adveanced format". And the seagate has the same transfer rate so would there really be any noticable difference?

Sorry if these questions sound kind of harsh seeing as your only trying to help, but it's my first build and I want to make sure that everything works and that I get the right parts for me.
Old March 13, 2010, 06:58 AM
Banned
F@H

Welcome to the board Jamula66, what part of the Australia you are living ?, for the drive , you would not see a difference in real application. those are only bench number, for the OS take a black, the green is design for storage not for an OS, and the black have 5 years waranty, so it's a winner perio. now if you choose an Asus Rampage Gene instead of the Gigabyte, you save enough money to buy a 5870 instead of a 5850. All true the Gigabyte is a good board too, I was just give you a best bang for the buck choice. The Gene have a superior sound card, and in Australia, Asus give a better waranty service.
Old March 13, 2010, 09:32 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamula66 View Post
Any perticular reason not to go with thermaltake or is Corsiar just a personal perference?

With the hard drive I chose the Western Digital because it had a 64mb buffer (the seagate has 32mb) and because it has "adveanced format". And the seagate has the same transfer rate so would there really be any noticable difference?
The Corsair is just a better quality PSU. All there is to it.

As for the HDD, I'd still go with the Seagate. Like Mark said, the 64mb buffer won't make any real-world difference, and while it's got a longer warranty it's also $50 more expensive. Not exactly worth it IMO for a longer warranty. Regardless, if you take either one you will be very happy with the performance.
Old March 13, 2010, 09:32 AM
Restricted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Welcome to the board Jamula66, what part of the Australia you are living ?, for the drive , you would not see a difference in real application. those are only bench number, for the OS take a black, the green is design for storage not for an OS, and the black have 5 years waranty, so it's a winner perio. now if you choose an Asus Rampage Gene instead of the Gigabyte, you save enough money to buy a 5870 instead of a 5850. All true the Gigabyte is a good board too, I was just give you a best bang for the buck choice. The Gene have a superior sound card, and in Australia, Asus give a better waranty service.
+1 On the GENE, better choice.