Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2010, 06:24 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Watercooling build Help

Alright everyone, I need some help with some watercooling components. I have never done WC before so I am new to it, been reading some threads and such, but I would like some help deciding what parts I will need and what will work together. Maybe some options, I dont know what is better than the other or why.

Also all the parts I will need including tubes and barbs and everything. a complete loop. Thinking about cooling the CPU and GPU, thats I think it for now. also looking for suggestions on maybe some other components that WC might be good for.

I have a Core i7 920 and haven't decided on a vid card yet, 5000 series not sure which one though.

If there is any other info you guys need just let me know. Thanks for all the help, I love these forums ! go HC
Old March 8, 2010, 06:28 PM
Banned
F@H

the first thing you do when you build a WC is make a sketch of the loop, and for do it we need to know what case you gone use and if you plan to include the gpu, now or latter in the loop. the kind of case you use will determine what kind of rad you can put inside.
Old March 8, 2010, 06:33 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I was thinking about getting a new case, I need one. A suggestion for that would help as well then, I would like to try some Overclocking which will produce more heat. I dunno if I need a dual or triple rad or what kind, I would prefer to mount the rad inside the case. Thanks
Old March 8, 2010, 06:49 PM
Banned
F@H

what is your budget for a case ? , are you ready to use a dremel to modify a case or you want a case that you just screw the stuf in it
Old March 8, 2010, 06:51 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

around $150-200, maybe a bit more depending if it is a really nice case. will spend a bit more for quality, that goes for the watercooling components as well. Since I don't know what the prices are like, maybe a few options??
Old March 8, 2010, 06:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you plan on cooling an i7 and a GPU in the same loop, I'd recommend a triple rad. Not the Swiftech, but a thicker one like the Feser or Thermochill.

CPU - Heatkiller or EK Supreme would be my choice.
Res - EK Multioption, available in different sizes. The number is the length of the tube in mm.
GPU - again, Heatkiller or EK.
Pump - MCP355 or MCP655
Barbs or compression fittings - Bitspower, 2 for each part. If you use compressions, you'll probably need elbows as well.
Tubing - Feser or Primochill. 3/8 or 1/2" ID, doesn't make much of a difference in temps, more on what you want for a look.

Case - if you want to internally mount the rad, Corsair 800D, Coolermaster ATCS840 or my fave - the Silverstone TJ07. The rad and fans take up a lot of room inside any case.

EDIT: just saw your case budget. All 3 are outside that. Lancool K-62 maybe?
Old March 8, 2010, 07:00 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

What is the difference between the Pumps?? will either suffice?

Barbs - What do the compression fittings do? what do they allow for? How do the barbs connect to the blocks?

Also, if the case is worth the extra money, I dont mind paying more for a good case.
Old March 8, 2010, 07:05 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
.........Tubing - Feser or Primochill. 3/8 or 1/2" ID, doesn't make much of a difference in temps, more on what you want for a look.

EDIT: just saw your case budget. All 3 are outside that. Lancool K-62 maybe?
I order 1/2 black feser and primochill tube... they are exactly the same , I can't see the difference....
for the Lancool K-62, one of my favorit e ..well I don't see how you can fit a rad inside without removing the drives cage.

cooler master have 840 refurbs free shipping . I order a 690 before xmas, I receive a brand new one, not trace of refurbishing, I pay the exact amount they ask , but I insist to have it ship by USPS, not UPS, so I do not pay customs brokage

here a link CM Store

on a personal note.. I don't like compression fitting, it's too easy to mess with them and make a weak connection, especially with 1/2 one , I prefer the barb one , they are cheaper too, but it was not my critaria.
Old March 8, 2010, 07:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Here is the loop I am building just for cooling my CPU (I7 920). When I was first researching depending on the overclock most people will recommend dual loops to cool the GPU's separately. I am not positive but if your doing a light overclock you could add a GPU to my loop loop.

Thermochill PA120.3
Swiftech Apogee XT
MCP655 Pump (Variable Speed) (I bought a Top but its not needed)
EK150 Res
3xS-Flex G Fans
Primochill Black Tubing 1/2ID 3/4OD
Mix of fittings and barbs
Worm Clamps

You might want to look at the Coolermaster ACTS840 for you case. It can fit two rads without modding and retails for around $199.

You can get the Corsair Obsidian on sale for ~$200-240 from NCIX some weeks. Its one of my fav cases for the price range.
Old March 8, 2010, 07:23 PM
MVP

+1 for the ATCS 840. If you want a classy-looking tower, there literally isn't a better choice, IMO.

On the other hand, if you want something a bit more...out there...go for the HAF 932.