Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2010, 02:39 PM
Top Prospect

Default Input on New Build

Hi,

Would like some feedback on the following build I have planned as an upgrade to my current one.
  • Gigabyte P55A-UD7 - $300
  • Intel i7 860 - $305
  • G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 (x2) - $219
  • Thermalright Venomous X - $60

My reason for choosing the Gigabyte board is that it has the nForce200 chip when I plan to SLI and a PLX chip for USB/SATA3 PCI-E lanes.

The RAM I have chosen has been used for a few computers I have built and have been rock solid. If there is something else I should consider for that price feel free to let me know.

My budget is set at $1500 because I have left room for a video card upgrade if Fermi shows performance that is worth upgrading to.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Gaming/Movies/Photoshop

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
$1500 including 5% tax/shipping/1.5% insurance

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.
Intel, Nvidia

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Video card, PSU, sound card, hard drives, case

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Overclock

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Within next 4 months

9. What resolution do you use?
1920x1200

Last edited by Spitfire; March 5, 2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old March 5, 2010, 06:48 PM
MVP

Looks like a plan. Nothing I'd really change, barring the Venemous X sucking, but I don't really see that happening.

My only suggestion is to keep on the lookout for new motherboards, since they crop up frequently and you may not build for 4 months.

Oh, and I'd like to point out that for about the same money you could build a similar X58 build that would be compatible with Gulftown down the road and perform a bit better even now. Just throwing it out there.
Old March 5, 2010, 11:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Dont they have that ram in a CL7 variation for roughly the same price? or am I off my rocker... DDR3 1600 CL9 seems rather dented.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 5, 2010, 11:48 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408
Oh, and I'd like to point out that for about the same money you could build a similar X58 build that would be compatible with Gulftown down the road and perform a bit better even now. Just throwing it out there.
Heh, don't think I'd be willing to spend over $1000 on a CPU in the near future. I think by the time hexacores become mainstream it'll be time to upgrade to a new build again anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift
Dont they have that ram in a CL7 variation for roughly the same price? or am I off my rocker... DDR3 1600 CL9 seems rather dented.
Yeah, you're right. Must have missed it on the NCIX sale page. The Corsair XMS3's are on sale for $130.
Old March 6, 2010, 02:16 AM
MVP

Fair, but why restrict yourself? The way I see it, all this does is add expenses down the road. May as well get something that can be used with the new tech down the road.
Old March 6, 2010, 02:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The LGA1156 platform is new tech, and its already been said that the X58 platform is going to become the enterprise end of things. I wouldnt be looking at X58 for a new build either, its over priced for what you get compared to the P55 gear.

Also this ram...

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...ture=G%2ESkill

and

and

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 6, 2010, 12:55 PM
MVP

Normally I'd agree, but he's spending the same amount on a P55 build that he would spend on a good X58 build. If you're going to jump for $300 P55 motherboard and 8GB of RAM that's when I recommend seriously considering X58.

As for P55 being new tech, I'd have agreed several months ago, but the tech on the boards seems to have mostly evened out (SATA III- and USB 3-wise) and though P55 got the first 32nm chips, X58 is getting them soon enough in the form of Gulftown which, while currently restricted to "Extreme" chips, should be released at a similar level to the 930. To be fair we don't know what the future of P55 will bring (in terms of 6-core CPUs, etc.), but we do know what X58 is bringing and it looks pretty awesome.
Old March 19, 2010, 09:50 AM
Top Prospect

I've been thinking about it for a while and I decided to wait until Intel officially supports SATA3/USB3.0 on their chipsets. Going to buy a new bike instead.
Old March 19, 2010, 10:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Check the Thermalright MUX-120 also, does a freaking good job on my I5 750, witch i overcloaked to 4ghz and the temps are lower than STock speed with stock cooler LOL! (about 66C at load). I bought it for 42$..
Old March 19, 2010, 11:16 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoohki View Post
Check the Thermalright MUX-120 also, does a freaking good job on my I5 750, witch i overcloaked to 4ghz and the temps are lower than STock speed with stock cooler LOL! (about 66C at load). I bought it for 42$..
The MUX-120 only has 4 heatpipes compared to the 6 on the Venomous X so I would assume that the Venomous X can dissipate heat better. The price difference is only ~$10-15 more anyways. I'm currently using the TRUE 120 (NF-P12's in push-pull config) and keeps my CPU in the mid 40's under load.

Earlier this year I built an P55 (i7 860) build for my dad using the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 (4 heatpipes) and at 4 GHz (~1.27 V with HT on, Turbo off) temperatures were reaching the low 70's (open bench). Since the temps were a bit too high for me, I have since lowered down the OC to 3.36 GHz (stock voltage, HT on, Turbo off) and temps are around the high 50's (open bench).

I know you can't compare a Core 2 Duo to the i7 but in theory having the two extra heatpipes should keep the CPU cooler.