Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2010, 12:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Brand New Build

Hey all, Thinking about building a new computer, just been using my laptop for a while and I believe I need a solid desktop that I can run 24/7.

What I'm thinking is that I will be using it mainly for daily tasks, not a lot of gaming, here and there, not much time to game. The main thing is Virtual Machines. I will be running/experimenting with some images and would ideally like to run atleast a couple at once so I need a system that can handle it without slowing down, I hate waiting :P

I will also be experiementing with overclocking, not sure If i will be watercooling, but definately OC.

Things I need are the usual - Mobo, cpu, ram, psu, gpu, case, hdd's, cooling options??

Budget Approx $1500

If im missing out something just let me know, Cheers

Last edited by homer98; March 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old March 1, 2010, 01:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Well, atleast two images at once. so lets say ~ 1GB allocated for each image. as for the speed of the RAM isnt a major concern, 1600 is fine. But I will be running some server images as well so im not sure how much load will increase at the moment.

I enjoy playing Company of Heroes a lot, which i know is fairly resource dependant, not sure exactly how much though since it is a slightly older game??
Old March 1, 2010, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

CoH is still a gpu intensive game, though a 4850 should handle it decently (why not get a 5 series? a 5770 perhaps?)

perhaps, slower ram, but more of it? jump to 12 gigs off the bat for VMs, just to give a bit of headroom.

also, scrap the SSD -> unnecessary spending of $300+, can be upgraded later if needed.
Old March 1, 2010, 03:47 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

mhmm, i think it will be more beneficial for me to have more ram but a bit slower. Can always upgrade later.

With the hdd, what should i start off with then? maybe a raid 0?
Old March 1, 2010, 06:12 PM
MVP

For the love of god, don't get an Antec 900. Terrible case compared to what you can get for the same price. I'd go with a K62 personally, but no. Just no.

RAID 0 is a good option, but I'd make sure it was backed up. It's still not "likely" to fail, but it's more likely than a standard HDD. Regardless of the situation I recommend having at least one backup (be it RAID 1, external disk, etc.)
Old March 1, 2010, 08:04 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I used 900 just as a filler since everyone has their taste on case, I personally love my HAF's :D (sorry forgot to type it)

I disagree on scrapping ssd as the difference in I/O and speed is on another level. Especially you are running several VM's. And you hate waiting on general operations. Maybe a cheaper SSD?

4850 is 99dollar ish..... 5770 is like 180 dollar. I put out 4850 due to OP mentioned not too much gaming.... Therefore I put majority of the $ on SSD.

I personally would hold off on 12gb ram, and when you noticed you need them then insert another 6gb.
Old March 1, 2010, 08:41 PM
MVP

Fair enough regarding the 900, but I think we're at a point in the lifespan of enclosures that we can just stop recommending it all together.
Old March 2, 2010, 08:53 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

So what I get an understanding from you guys is to go with a SSD ( ~60-80 gb? should suffice for starters atleast?)

Also, with the cpu cooler, if im planning on OC'ing, is that a decent one to purchase? or would i get cooler temps/higher clocks with a better air cooler?
Old March 2, 2010, 09:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I just put a 60gb SSD in my system a couple of weeks ago. I think that's about the minimum size I'd recommend to anyone. It's sitting at 38gb used right now (all games/data on another HD), and will go up from there unless I disable system restore.

The Hyper 212+ is a good & cheap starting point. There's lots of people on here who'll never need anything more. For a mild to medium OC, it will perform just fine. If you intend to push the ragged edge, you may want a better HSF.