Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2010, 11:41 AM
Rookie

Default help building video editing pc - about $2000

Greetings fellow builders,

I plan to build my 1st desktop although I was repairing PCs for many years.
I'm a speed freak. I just hate to wait on my PC for any reason.
Absolutely no games. Some video and picture editing. Testing tons of different software as IT professional.without monitor.
Planning multiple OS for testing with VMware access.
Roughly $2000. Will do basic Overclocking.
I've been out of component buying for a while.
Definitely want I7 processor and SSD hard drive.
Quality and durability is important
I live in Canada.

Can any good Dude (Dudette) help me start on this project?

Thanks
Old February 28, 2010, 02:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Let me have a go at it...

Intel Core i7 920 (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=38881&...ufacture=Intel)
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=49015&...cture=Gigabyte)
3x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=37149&...r&promoid=1060)
XFX Radeon HD 5850 (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=44142&...anufacture=XFX)
Intel X25-M 80GB SSD (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41732&...ufacture=Intel)
2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=31000&...D&promoid=1060)
Generic Optical Drive (Whatever is cheap)
Corsair HX750W PSU ( http://ncix.com/products/?sku=38649&...acture=Corsair)
~$150 for a case, Something like a Lancool or a 690 II
Heatsink, maybe a Hyper 212+

Those prices are slightly inflated, check around first. You'd probably be able to shave off $200. A P55 platform may also be better, which is about $150 less.
Old February 28, 2010, 02:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix View Post
No. For video editing you will want to go NVIDIA + CUDA. They have excellent support for GPU acceleration in Loiloscope, Nero Move, MediaShow Espresso, vReveal, TMPGenc, PowerDirector 7 and TotalMedia Theatre 3. AMD does not.
Old February 28, 2010, 03:37 PM
MVP

For the SSD I'd go with something with an Indilinx or Samsung controller, since the Intel SSDs tend to have poor write speeds (if slightly better reads), not to mention you can get a 60GB Vertex for about $200, so it's better price / capacity as well.

The PSU is a bit overkill. Period. I'd say drop to either a HX650 or 750TX depending on whether quality/efficiency or wattage is more important to the OP. Both are excellent though, don't get me wrong. The one selected is fine...though I don't feel the benefits of the 750HX outweigh the cost relative to the 750TX.
Old March 1, 2010, 05:20 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your responses guys.
I will definitely consider your comments.
Old March 2, 2010, 11:31 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
For the SSD I'd go with something with an Indilinx or Samsung controller, since the Intel SSDs tend to have poor write speeds (if slightly better reads), not to mention you can get a 60GB Vertex for about $200, so it's better price / capacity as well....
the vertex 60 is far less performing that is big brother 120 GB, and since when you need fast writting on an OS drive... they mainly just read.. INtel is you best option, expecially at the special of NewEgg

the Intel is at $ 235 free shipping at new egg at this time.

Newegg.ca - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

Last edited by MarkOne; March 2, 2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old March 2, 2010, 11:56 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
For the SSD I'd go with something with an Indilinx or Samsung controller, since the Intel SSDs tend to have poor write speeds (if slightly better reads), not to mention you can get a 60GB Vertex for about $200, so it's better price / capacity as well.
Im sorry but that is just plain WRONG. The Indilinx controller based SSDs have higher sequential and higher mid size transfer speeds....but those numbers are no where near as important as a SMALL read and write performance. Your OS is reading and writing small chunks of data on a damn near continuous basis.

In the all important small read and write area Intel is the undisputed king of SSDs. They are literally twice as fast as a Indi drive. Does this mean the Indilinx SSDs are slow or half as fast as Intel in the "realworld"? No, mid size performance does have an impact on how fast a system feels. Some people find the Indilinx's slightly faster, most find Intel slightly faster. Both are very good. But right now Intel is the best MLC SSD out there. Though that may change soon with SandForce, Marvel or even Indilinx's Jetstream controller's land!

As for Samsung SSD's.....meh. You are much better off going with a Indilinx or Intel. You WILL notice a huge difference between those two and the Sammy's. YMMV but please dont use Sequnetail speed to chose a SSD. IF you have to use a synthetic benchmark use IOMeter IOPS or Crystal DiskMark's small read/write test to chose. Still wont give you a clear picture of them but it is a whole lot better than HDTach or HDTune sequential benchmarks!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 2, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
No. For video editing you will want to go NVIDIA + CUDA. They have excellent support for GPU acceleration in Loiloscope, Nero Move, MediaShow Espresso, vReveal, TMPGenc, PowerDirector 7 and TotalMedia Theatre 3. AMD does not.
yup yup and yup nvidia is where you want to go. but you also means you want to wait for fermi
edit my next raid0 ssd's are going to be 3 x intel V 40gb if i buy more soon. look at the 4k
Old March 3, 2010, 04:33 PM
Rookie

Would I need a CrossFirex SLI mobo even if I don't play games at all?
Old March 3, 2010, 04:55 PM
Rookie

Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
What do you guys think of this kit to start with? Can buy SSD & other components separately.