Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2010, 09:44 PM
Rookie

Default Help needed on new gaming and 3D graphics system! (i7 X58 or i7 P55)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within 2 weeks.
BUDGET RANGE: 1500$-2000$

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Heavy gaming, AutoDesk Maya (3D Animation and Modeling and Rendering), Photoshop, video editing, programming, music encoding and editing, and everyday uses like surfing and watching HD movies.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
Keyboard, mouse, monitor, and speakers.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
NCIX only. If there is a cheaper price elsewhere in Canada, I can price match easily.

PARTS PREFERENCES:
None.

OVERCLOCKING:
100% sure. Heavy overclocking.

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
1920x1080.

Case:
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Case
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/182299/C...ER/RC_932_KKN1/
139.79$

CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7 930 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Welcome to Filtech Computer: Your Best Computer Bargain in Toronto.
315.99$ when available with NCIX and price match with above link.

Heatsink:
Noctua NH-D14 NF-P14 140MM & NF-P12 120MM Fan
NCIX.com - Buy Noctua NH-D14 LGA775/1156/1366/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler W/ NF-P14 140MM & NF-P12 120MM Fan - NH-D14 In Canada.
89.99$

Memory: I need help for RAM. I want the best bang/buck 6GB combo. This is what I found, and it has great reviews, but I am unsure.
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=...facture=G.SKILL
166.92$

Video Card:
ATI Radeon HD 5850 - 1GB DirectX 11 Support
http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?modul...l&id=449815

Motherboard: This is another one that I need major help with. I want a good board that can overclock very well, but I want best bang/buck. Currently I chose the P6X58D, but it's very expensive.
ASUS P6X58D Premium -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported
http://www.agileelectronics.ca/prod_detail...6X58D%20PREMIUM
308.40$

Power Supply:
Corsair CMPSU-750TX Power Supply SLI Ready
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=...facture=CORSAIR
100.46$

Hard Drive:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB (Two of them for RAID 0)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...SUNG-_-22152181
56.99$ x 2 = 113.98$

Optical Drive:
Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE 24X Black DVD Writer SATA OEM
http://www.swiftgamers.com/ProductDetails....e=SH-S243D/BEBE
22.66$

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=...cture=MICROSOFT
105.79$

Sound Card:
Asus Xonar DX 7.1
http://www.agileelectronics.ca/prod_detail...d_id=XONAR%20DX
84.39$

TOTAL PRICE
1738.36$

So what I need help with is choosing the right RAM and motherboard for my build. I am considering the P55 route with an i7 860 (I need hyperthread). If you think that going the P55 platform with i7 860 is the better router, please tell me why. If I do take the P55 route, I will save about 120$. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old February 27, 2010, 10:17 PM
MVP

Overall that looks like a very sold system. There's a couple of changes and general suggestions I'd make:

Motherboard: If you don't need the USB 3 and SATA 6, there's no real reason to get that motherboard. A personal favorite of mine for price/performance is the EVGA X58 SLI LE. If you do need the new USB and SATA, the P6X58D is the best choice available.

HDD: In that price range I'd try to get the Caviar Black 640s (though I'm actually not sure how they compare in speed to the F3 500GBs).

RAM: Honestly, RAM makes very little real-world performance difference. I'd say just find something 1600MHz or better for cheap. Get something like that and you're set. Likely it will be G.Skill, but if you can get Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, etc. they tend to OC very well.

You can save a bit on the cooler (assuming noise isn't a major factor, since it's the D14's major benefit) by going with the Titan Fenrir. It's a VERY solid cooler for usually about $60. Often beats out the D14 even.

GPU: If you can get the Sapphire Toxic 5850 it's pretty effing awesome. It's got the Vapor-X cooler so it runs outstandingly cool, and it's got some good speed bumps to boot. Not a huge price premium, if I remember correctly, either.

Soundcard: I've seen mixed reviews for the Xonar DX. I'd say go with the HT Omega Striker. It's about the same price and, though it's on a PCI bus, seems to be the best card in the price range.

OS: I'm actually really confused regarding the OEM Windows 7s, since I've heard that you can't install them more than once (and they're tied to the motherboard, so you need a new copy if you do major upgrades) but I've also heard stories of that being bulls---, so I'm not really sure what to believe anymore. Anyway, I suggest getting an upgrade copy (it's about the same price as the OEM), installing XP or Vista, anything you've got lying around, then "upgrading" to Windows 7.
Old February 28, 2010, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I suggest getting an upgrade copy (it's about the same price as the OEM), installing XP or Vista, anything you've got lying around, then "upgrading" to Windows 7.
God I HATE seeing someone suggest this for a Brand New build......a "Clean Installation" of W7 please....no "upgrade" versions, instaling this version first...then this upgrade..ouch... on a new System...man oh man..this is a no brainer!

Quote:
RAM: Honestly, RAM makes very little real-world performance difference. I'd say just find something 1600MHz or better for cheap.
Wrong...to the OP..do some "research" Evga.com if your going to go with the Evga Mobo..some RAM Brands do not play nicely with these Boards, stick to what others are finding success with (as in 1st time Boot ups) etc....

Your choice of Parts looks very good
Old February 28, 2010, 03:41 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
God I HATE seeing someone suggest this for a Brand New build......a "Clean Installation" of W7 please....no "upgrade" versions, instaling this version first...then this upgrade..ouch... on a new System...man oh man..this is a no brainer!
I don't like it either. It's quite inconvenient. But from the majority of what I've seen you won't be able to change a motherboard and keep a Windows 7 OEM key. Seeing as the retail copies are about twice as expensive this seems like the best alternative. It may be inconvenient to install...then do another install, but it's better than purchasing a new key when you want to change out your motherboard.
Old February 28, 2010, 05:21 PM
Banned

Just do a clean install from a upgrade version of Windows 7. You only need to do it once.
Old February 28, 2010, 06:12 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the help. Are there any other suggestions?
Old February 28, 2010, 07:32 PM
MVP

You've had a solid list from the start, I've offered some changes, take whichever you think are best, maybe someone else will suggest some new parts, but regardless, you'll have a really good build.
Old February 28, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I don't like it either. It's quite inconvenient. But from the majority of what I've seen you won't be able to change a motherboard and keep a Windows 7 OEM key.
Quote:
Just do a clean install from a upgrade version of Windows 7.
No and no...spend the $100 and get a "fresh n clean" OEM version of W7.....c'mon guys...honestly ;)
Old February 28, 2010, 08:46 PM
MVP

...So you're saying that the whole "non-upgradable OEM keys" thing is a myth?

Well, if that's the case OEM for sure...but if and only if...
Old March 1, 2010, 04:41 AM
Banned

No he is quite wrong actually. You can do a COMPLETE FULL install of a Windows 7 OS from a upgrade Retail version. Saves you money. I have done it over a dozen times on different PC's already.

A lot of people are saying that you cannot do this.....and they simple part is that they are WRONG. In Vista you could do the same but you had to upgrade over the "trial" install and this is simply not so in Windows 7.