Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2010, 01:58 PM
Rookie

Default New build for photoshop, for review and comment

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Photoshop CS2 now, CS5 64 bit when it comes out. Home video, Adobe Premiere Elements, Corel Painter, office work, browsing.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
The more it is under $2000 the better.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from. Canada, eh?

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
Intel

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Completely new build.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Absolutely, but I've reached saturation point, I am somewhat knowledgeable, but no guru. Takes me a while to understand some of the new (to me) concepts, ie dual vs triple mem, cuda.....

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
In the next few months, I am saving for it right now.

I had already written this out:

This is a completely new build, my kids will be getting my existing P4 computer.

It is for Photoshop (CS2 now, I intend to upgrade to CS5 when it comes out). Also for home video editing, Adobe Premiere Elements, and Painter. Browsing, office, no gaming.

If I can save money by getting LESS powerful pieces, then please let me know. If I am missing something or should upgrade, please let me know!

No mouse or keyboard listed.

I know *some* stuff, but am certainly no guru. I will not be overclocking. After reading, and thinking that I understand this - I decided to go i7 860 rather than i7 920, because it and the accompanying bits run cooler (?), and so I won't need extra cooling? - trying to cut costs. Also the memory is less.

I am in Canada, and this is a local builder with a good rep. I don't want to build my own.

I did add a heatsink for the cpu, because I thought I needed one (?).

I am not sure what dvd burner to get.

I chose the mb because it is well-rated and is usb 3.0 capable.

8GB memory included.

I chose the video card because it is cuda compatible. However I want the possibility of two monitors down the road, so I will have to choose another card.

I figured 3 hard drives right now. 1 500gb for os and programs. 1TB for documents. 1 500gb for scratch disk. Didn't see much point in going smaller for that as the prices aren't much less.
Will likely add another HD for data in the upcoming year(s), as my current and stored files will half fill the 1 TB.

I think I understand that I need a fairly big power supply because of the number of HDs. Do I need a cooler for the PS?

I wouldn't even mind more HDs, for backup, otherwise I will create external drives for backup. I think it is less expensive to just put another HD drive internally, than an

Is the case suitable?

text here:
1 Intel Core i7 860 2.8GHz S1156 Processor, Retail
1 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Intel P55 S1156 ATX Mainboard (Audio/Gigabit LAN)
1 Coolermaster Hyper TX 3 CPU Heatsink for S775/S1156/AM2/AM3/939/940
2 OCZ Platinum 4GB DC PC3-1600 DDR3 Memory Kit
2 WD Black 500GB 7200RPM 32MB 3.5" SATA Hard Drive
1 WD Black 1TB 7200RPM 32MB 3.5" SATA Hard Drive
1 LG GH22LS50 22X SATA LightScribe DVD-RW Drive, Black
1 Asus GF GT240 1GB PCIe 2.0 Video Card, Retail
1 Gigabyte GN-WP01GS 802.11g PCI Wireless Controller Card
1 Coolermaster HAF 922M Full Tower Case w/No PS, Black
1 Antec EarthWatts 650 Watt Power Supply
1 Dell 2209WA UltraSharp 22" Wide LCD Monitor, Black
1 *OEM - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64

Any comments appreciated!

this is a copy of the order, with prices.
Old February 26, 2010, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Dell 2209WA will be on sale for $209 on Tuesday.

All parts look almost like my future build (later this year). Will be used for PS, AI, ID and WAMP.
But I'm thinking of Corsair 650 PSU and Radeon 5670 video.
Old February 26, 2010, 02:52 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
Dell 2209WA will be on sale for $209 on Tuesday.

All parts look almost like my future build (later this year). Will be used for PS, AI, ID and WAMP.
But I'm thinking of Corsair 650 PSU and Radeon 5670 video.

for a work PC Ati is better, with long exposure Nvidia is hard on the eyes
Old February 26, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
for a work PC Ati is better, with long exposure Nvidia is hard on the eyes
NVIDIA is hard on the eyes? Wtf?

Since you're buying in the next few months, I suggest that you put off your build idea till you got the money. A lot can happen in a few months, such as the release of AMD Phenom II X6, price drops, etc.
Old February 26, 2010, 03:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
NVIDIA is hard on the eyes? Wtf?
I happen to agree. The desktop picture quality and font rendering on my 4870 was noticeably better than my GTX 260 or GTX 285. For long hours of daily use, especially in a photo editing build, I'd do some research, and even try out the cards in the shop's existing builds.
Old February 27, 2010, 03:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

plan on doing any 3d rendering?
Old February 27, 2010, 05:28 AM
Rookie

Victor - yay! I will watch for the 2209wa sale and get one now!

Markone and SugarJ - I will check both ati and nvidea card reviews and see if I can look at both in store. Thanks!

Geokilla - I have $2000 right now, but with taxes, an ups to buy and possible other bits, I will likely wait a month or so. However I need a place to start, a good list, which is why I posted and asked. Thank you for the tip, I will make sure I am up to date on the best possible buys, when I am ready to spend.

Backpack - I have no intention of 3d rendering now, but doesn't mean I won't want to in the future, I'm am always reading and trying out new stuff. So I will buy for current needs and hopefully be able to upgrade later if need be.

Thank you all for your input, it seems like I have a decent package, and just need to fine tune and check out various local builders.
Old February 27, 2010, 05:40 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Markone and SugarJ - I will check both ati and nvidea card reviews and see if I can look at both in store. Thanks!.
it's not something they talk in the review, and if you want to check it in the store, bring a chair, it's not after 10 minutes you will feel the diference.
Old February 27, 2010, 06:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
it's not something they talk in the review, and if you want to check it in the store, bring a chair, it's not after 10 minutes you will feel the diference.

2 week ago when I change my 4870 for a 260 color has shock me. I was needed to re-do all the color setting of my screen to finally get something that is not to much flashy. If I could I would plug a little ATI with screen in and use 260 for gaming. But I can't so i have to stick with that. Like mark said it's not after 10 min that it will be ahrd on eye but after a day long it can be.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||