Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2010, 12:27 PM
Rookie

For now I'm using a 9800GT 512mb. So I think it will be just a little bit better, but on a 24" monitor, 1080p. Anyway, I can't afford the 5850. So I'll stick to the 5770. If needed, i'll just lower the resolution in game.

I know Intel tend to perform more than AMD in photo editing, but for the price and the gaming performance, I'll prefer AMD. The few seconds of delay in photoshop aren't a big deal =).

And what's about the serial number of AMD? I just never heard anything about it, so please explain a little bit more Cranker. Thanks.
Old February 27, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just curious but whats the prices for the build?
Also, have you considered a Gigabyte P55 UD2/i5 750 build or even a x3440 if you need hyperthreading. Should only be 30-40$ more.

However, everything else looks to be pretty good.

Old February 27, 2010, 03:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick363 View Post
Hi!

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad Core AM3 Black Edition
GIBABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P
Is everything OK?
As you are going for a single GPU setup, why not choose the newer Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3.
While it's slot lay-out is...well, a tad remarkable, it's a very decent quality board with USB3.0 and SATA3.0. (Same quality as the one on your list)

Also, throw in an air cooler like the Scythe Mugen2 or a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus and you'll be able to OC the 955BE towards 3.8-4.0GHz.

When choosing a 955BE, make sure to get a revision C model with SKU HDZ955FBGMBOX.
The revision C runs on 0.850V-1.4V, compared to the older rev. B with 0.875V-1.5V.
The older rev B has SKU HDZ955FBGIBOX

Cheers.
Old February 27, 2010, 04:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Seasonic makes some of the best PSUs out there. Know the Corsair HX series? Seasonic OEMs. From what I've seen individual products can be poorer quality, but on the whole the brand is awesome.

As for 24" gaming with a 5770, it's perfectly possible. I've got one running my 1080p monitor fine (I was using a 9800 GT before that and still getting acceptable frames). The way I see it, a 5770 is the lower end of what will power games on a 24" monitor. You'll be able to max out most games (though you may need to stick to 2x or 4x AA depending) and stay above at least 30FPS. Granted, this is mostly with DX9 games. No comments on how it will handle DX11.

Channel Well Technologies. HX750 and 850 at least. I think the 650 is Seasonic. Just to Clairfy.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 27, 2010, 07:12 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
make no sense.... it's the lower end and it's max out

let's talk about the x11 games.. they don't take less processing power, they need more.
Let me rephrase; It's what I consider to be the minimum graphics card to deliver really good performance on a 24" screen. It will max out most games (all but the obnoxiously-power-hungry ones) though you may be limited to 2x or 4x AA.

As for DX11, I said I wouldn't comment because it probably wouldn't handle most DX11 games at that resolution. However, the benefits of DX11 don't seem to be stellar (DX9 games still look great) and the drop in framerates doesn't usually seem to be worth it anyway (from my point of view).

I'll say again; if you're gaming on a 24" screen, the 5770 is a fine choice.
Old February 27, 2010, 07:34 PM
Rookie

First of all, thanks for your answers.

The cost of the build is: 1216.99$ CAD, before taxes, including the monitor and the speakers (like I said I'm from Quebec, so two taxes!).
The Gigabyte P55 UD2/i5 750 build cost a little bit too much for me, I've already looked for this.
About the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3, I'll check this out.
Maybe in a few months I will look for a CPU cooler, but for now I've really reached the top of my budget. Anyway, I'm not familiar with overclocking, so...

And just a little question: Probably because I'm french and I don't understand everything perfectly, but I'm a bit confused. Is the PSU I've chosen a good deal or not?
Old February 27, 2010, 07:57 PM
Rookie

The GA-770TA-UD3P cost 13$ more (90.90$ vs 103.90$). Is the Sata 3.0 and the USB 3.0 worth this price difference? My HDD are SATA2, of course, and the USB 3.0 devices seems to hit only the high end market for now. So I'm not sure...
Old February 27, 2010, 09:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

About you psu question, yes, SeaSonic makes great power supplies. Whether it is a good deal or not depends on the price that you are paying.
If you can find a Corsair for less dollars, then buy that. The 650 and lower wattage Corsairs are made by seasonic, and as mentioned in a
previous post, the corsair 750 watt and above are made by CWT.

You pretty much can't go wrong with corsair or seasonic, both are very high quality power supplies.
Old February 28, 2010, 05:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick363 View Post
The GA-770TA-UD3P cost 13$ more (90.90$ vs 103.90$). Is the Sata 3.0 and the USB 3.0 worth this price difference? My HDD are SATA2, of course, and the USB 3.0 devices seems to hit only the high end market for now. So I'm not sure...
You can always add a PCI-E card later on (examples) for USB3.0 and/or SATA3.0 and they'll probably drop in price considerably in a couple of years time.
I guess it depends on how soon you're likely to add a USB3.0/SATA3.0 device.
While those are high end products for now, they'll become standard pretty fast though.
Old February 28, 2010, 07:14 PM
Rookie

Finally, I'll probably take the GA-770TA-UD3. Thanks for the suggestion. In the description of the card, it is written: "2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors on the back panel supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices". On my case, the CM Storm Scout, there is a e-sata port on the front. Will I be able to use this port with these connectors?