Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need Opinions on $6,500+ Machines

Ok, so I have a couple people here at work that need a new machine and I am looking at opinions as to what I should put in there.

First thing is budget. $13,500 is the total budget. Now they need two different quotes, one for a single system for about that much and one for two systems again staying under the total.

Now these are not gaming machines, these are number crunching beasts that will be doing serious data work using mostly a program called R.

As for monitor, we do not need anything big, a fairly simple 21, 22" should be plenty.

I would also like to have something that may have the chance for upgrade in the future.

So, I'm leaning towards the 1366 platform, but am open to other options as well. I have not ruled out Xeons and have looked at them as well. Large amounts of RAM are important as R works in RAM alot.

Also when it comes to a video card I normally prefer Nvidia over ATI, but again that is open as well. Again I have been wondering if I go with the game end cards or the workstation cards. Then there is the CUDA and OpenCL that do somewhat factor into this.

I am not that familiar with OpenCL (have to read up on it) but I do know that the main user of this system can and does program in C which CUDA can use. Have thought about the tesla cards as well.

So, this is fairly open to suggestions. I am also willing to accept setups from Dell as we do some dealings with them.

All ideas welcome.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the parts if not going with a direct builder like Dell would be got through a different smaller company that we have had build many systems for us. His prices are right around NCIX/Memory Express and does usually cut us a decent deal. Also this is a semi-rush as I need to get something figure in a day or two and then send out to get an actual quote by about Wednesday next week. All help is much appreciated.

Edit #2: I also seemed to forget to mention that I would very much like to have Sata 3 and USB 3 on the motherboard. Remember I do want to be able to somewhat future protect.

Oh and hard drive, I'm leaning towards a SSD for OS and then a TB or so for storage. But I have not ruled out something like the large SSD's or like the OCZ Z-Drive.

Last edited by ipaine; February 25, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old February 25, 2010, 03:41 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

How about 1x Behemoth? lol...

More seriously:
2x of these: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=78248Q...ICRO%20DEVICES
(AMD Opteron 2437's - 12x Cores @ 2.2Ghz)

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=666610...nufacture=Tyan
(Tyan dual socket 1207 mobo w/ 2x PCI-express x16 slots)

Add an E-atx case, Good PSU, Hard drives, NVidia graphics (for CUDA) =

Would you like more details? hehe.
Old February 25, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Damn, 12 cores. Any idea how those stack up with the Xeon offerings? I ask cause frankly I just haven't kept up with the AMD stuff lately. But that does look nice.

Certainly a good start.

Old February 25, 2010, 03:51 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Damn, 12 cores. Any idea how those stack up with the Xeon offerings? I ask cause frankly I just haven't kept up with the AMD stuff lately. But that does look nice.

Certainly a good start.

Its just an idea, and everyone 'round here knows i love opterons. But you may want to consider actually cores over threads (i.e. hyperthreading). In a nutshell, real cores beat hyperthreaded ones with ease, so if you have a preference between going i7 ( = 4 cores/8 threads) or a dual-socket system with 8 or more real cores, the latter will always out-perform in threaded cpu-intensive tasks. I dont know how multi-threaded your application is, but if scales well with more cores, then you may want to think about a dual socket xeon/opteron build.

Of course, dual-socket boards dont adopt early and wont have USB3/SATA3, but i really don't see that as a detriment. Its nothing that can't be corrected by a professional add-in controller later on.

On the storage side, ill wait for lowfat or one of the other crazy storage guys to pipe in. Basically though, they'll probably suggest a quality raid/sas card in the vein of a dell perc/5, etc.
Old February 25, 2010, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How bout Skulltrail with dual Q9XXX processors OC'ed at 3.4Ghz each?

Just a thought...

-Plato
Old February 25, 2010, 05:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Now these are not gaming machines, these are number crunching beasts that will be doing serious data work using mostly a program called R.
Can you tell us what kind of number crunching? I do not mean the purpose of the program, but the type of computation. Floating Point, Integer, Matrix Multiplication or other? Will the program be running in parallel (multithreaded) or serial (single threaded)? What is you estimate on the amount of RAM required? Will you be using and reusing the same numbers or using new numbers frequently? Will you need to cache data to a disk or will you be able to fit all the data into RAM? Will you be able to pre-cache to RAM or will you need as low an access time to the disk as possible?
Old February 25, 2010, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Speaking of OCing, one other requirement is that it has to be rock solid stable.

I'll comment more on the threads/cores once I get home and not typing on a phone, this is too much work.