Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2010, 10:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Need to get a new build figured ou in a hurry

The Boss sprung it on me today that he want's a new system for his house. I gotta get a system figure out for him pretty quick or he'll be running down to Tiger Direct in a day or two to "see what they have" and come home with what ever the sales guy tells him. He was asking me today a few things and he's all about buying big which is fine but I think he's getting into wasting money. I know I should be doing my own homework but I'm noe really up on the current gen. stuff and don't really have time to start from scratch. So without further ado here's "The Survey" as best as I can answer it for him.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
He's into photography and photo editing as well as his home movies, light gaming, and I think he's going to get into a little media/HTPC stuff. He wants to go i7 with a >$300 vid card yet he's just starting to find his s939 a little slow and the games his son plays are handled by his 9800Pro for the most part but he says it get's choppy some times. I don't know much about i7 but I'm thinking it might be over kill and from the sounds of it even onboard graphics would smoke a 9800Pro.

Lot of storage a must. I told him might as well go with a SSD for the OS and tack on as many WD greens as he needs - probably 3-4TB.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
N/A - He's planning >$2k just for the computer itself (i.e. no monitor, kb&m, etc), I'm trying to get some reality in there.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada. He wants to go to Tiger Direct to buy everything incase there's a problem he can just go up the road and return it, I'm trying to talk him into the pricematch/NCIX thing.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

Wide open on brands, well with the exception that I'd like to avoid an Asus mobo. I know a lot of people use them and a lot of people like them but it seems every system I build using one has some little quirkyness to it. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Probably just need to build the box, I think he'll be keeping monitors and peripherals.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
sort of.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
not necessary.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
very soon

9. What resolution do you use?
plan for 1920x1200

Sorry to dump this on you guys.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 24, 2010, 10:39 PM
MVP

Well, here's what I've put together in a few minutes:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
i7 920
HD 5850
Corsair 850 HX
Corsair XMS3 6GB (Any you want, really, I chose this because Corsair's quality is generally good and they were surprisingly cheap)
OCZ Vertex 60GB
4 x Caviar Black 1TB (or similar, F3, etc.)
CM Hyper 212 Plus (i7s run HOT!)
Lankool K62 (or anything else in the $80-120 range that he finds attractive...if he wants to reuse his case, ignore this)
Comes out to $2029 + Shipping at Newegg.ca

I agree that it's overkill, and he'll do better buying mid-range and upgrading along the way, but based on what he appears to want, that's what I'd do.
Old February 25, 2010, 02:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I searched this out for less than $2000 without tax and no stupid mail in rebates.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...y&promoid=1060 $99

NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal Intel Core i7 920 & Gigabyte X58A-UD3R DDR3 USB3.0 SATA3 SLI Motherboard - 920 & X58A-UD3R In Canada. $549.99

NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case Black 4X5.25 1X3.5EXT 6X3.5INT *No PSU* - RC-692-KKN2 In Canada. $99

NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit - F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ In Canada. $174.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT Dvd Oem - DirectCanada $105.79

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...y&promoid=1060 $89.99

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...anufacture=XFX $359.99

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...20Digital%20WD X3 $359.96

Total of 1834.61 before taxes and shipping. You can probably do better with some price matching. Your boss probably won't be overclocking so I didn't include an aftermarket heatsink. However, you may want to throw in a few cooling fans. I'd say a decent build for what he's looking for.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)

Last edited by mo' power; February 25, 2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old February 25, 2010, 04:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

huh... that's 2 for 2. You guys really think an i7 is needed to edit photo's and home movies eh?
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 25, 2010, 05:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

get'em an 1156 socket why waste the money on something he does't need. jmo
Old February 25, 2010, 05:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It seems that instead of upgrading his pc, he simply replaces it when needed. The rigs that we suggested will gurantee all his needs will be met for some time to come and also offer leeway for upgrading when or if needed.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old February 25, 2010, 05:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't quite have time to make a suggestion yet, but I don't agree with the i7 nor the 5850. I know he's probably not the upgrade type, but buying something is barely using it is a waste.

I would probably look more into i5 or Phenom II. Its not the best of all ideas to move from taking the bus to a Porsche 911 Turbo.

Anyway, that's just what I think, there's no point in spending so much money based on his needs anyway.
Old February 25, 2010, 06:19 AM
shaw

If he kept the 939 that long, investing in an i7 might be the right move... though a P55/750 combo would suffice.

I'd change: the 5850 for a 5770 and the SSD from 60Gb to 120Gb.
Old February 25, 2010, 03:13 PM
MVP

I agree that it's not a good way to get the best computer on his budget, and it's probably a waste of money. However, based on his wishes, those are the rigs we put together. If the OP can convince him to go about this intelligently and we get a new set of proposed specs and budget, I'll gladly put another one together.
Old February 25, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Go i5 750 or Phenom II, add a good SSD and don't need a 5850, it would be a waste of money.