Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2010, 06:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default upcoming build, some guidance please

So I'm going to be building a new amd build. I'm on a budget and I'm buidling a new gaming rig. I know an intel corei7 or i5 quad would probably give better performance, but I can get a phenom 965 3.4 and a motherboard for about the same price as just an i7 processor.

I'm looking at an asus m4a79xtd evo motherboard to go with the phenom x4 965 black edition. Now my first question is for memory; are intel systems the only ones that will run triple channel ram configurations? From what I've read so far amd setups only support dual channel, is this right? I can get a really good deal on some slightly used supertalent ddr3 ram 3x2g triple channel kit. Will this run in triple channel on my setup? Or should I get a 2x2g set and then maybe upgrade later when I have more money to include two more sticks (thus have 4 sticks).

Or, for gaming, will 6g single channel run faster than 4g in dual channel, or will I even notice a difference do you think?

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll be looking for more advice as I go along ;)

Thanks.

Go Canada

edit:

almost forgot:

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
gaming

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
less than $1000.00

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
no preference, leaning amd due to pricing.
already have an nvidia gtx260 on its way.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
going to use hardrive and power supply.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
some, but have not found the exact answer I want.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
overclock.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
next 2 or 3 months

9. What resolution do you use?
1280x1050.
Old February 23, 2010, 06:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm001 View Post
So I'm going to be building a new amd build. I'm on a budget and I'm buidling a new gaming rig. I know an intel corei7 or i5 quad would probably give better performance, but I can get a phenom 965 3.4 and a motherboard for about the same price as just an i7 processor.

I'm looking at an asus m4a79xtd evo motherboard to go with the phenom x4 965 black edition. Now my first question is for memory; are intel systems the only ones that will run triple channel ram configurations? From what I've read so far amd setups only support dual channel, is this right? I can get a really good deal on some slightly used supertalent ddr3 ram 3x2g triple channel kit. Will this run in triple channel on my setup? Or should I get a 2x2g set and then maybe upgrade later when I have more money to include two more sticks (thus have 4 sticks).

Or, for gaming, will 6g single channel run faster than 4g in dual channel, or will I even notice a difference do you think?

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll be looking for more advice as I go along ;)

Thanks.

Go Canada
i would rather have 6 GB dual channel or triple channel. nice build.. the 965 is a wonderful processor
Old February 23, 2010, 06:11 AM
Banned
F@H

Welcome to the board .....4 gb is enough for gaming , you mention you gone reuse your PSU, what model you have ?.
Old February 23, 2010, 06:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
i would rather have 6 GB dual channel or triple channel. nice build.. the 965 is a wonderful processor
But will the 6g run in triple with an amd chip/motherboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Welcome to the board .....4 gb is enough for gaming , you mention you gone reuse your PSU, what model you have ?.
Thanks for the welcome :)
I can get the 6g ram for less than a new 4g kit. So given that, do you think I should go with the 6? Or maybe even buy the 6 and just use 4 in dual channel? Or i suppose I should just buy it, and I could do my own experimenting and see what runs better ;)

My psu, which I am now wondering if its going to be enough for a quad with a gtx260, is an ocz stealthxstream 600w: OCZ 600W StealthXStream Power Supply OCZ Technology
Old February 23, 2010, 07:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

No it won't run triple channel, but it will see 6GB still. So buy the used/cheap ram, and get a new quality PSU. Your current one is enough, but it's not known to be great.

Old February 23, 2010, 08:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd View Post
No it won't run triple channel, but it will see 6GB still. So buy the used/cheap ram, and get a new quality PSU. Your current one is enough, but it's not known to be great.
So am I correct in thinking that 6g in single channel will still have better performance than 4g in dual channel?

So current psu is enough? Could stick with it at first, then when I've got extra $$ upgrade the psu? Would you suggest no overclocking until I get a better psu?

Thanks.
Old February 23, 2010, 09:06 AM
Allstar
F@H

Dual channel was always only at best if I can remember under 10% increase and I think i'm being VERY generous. So with the law of diminishing returns.. you might see 5% to using triple channel, which your AMD setup won't have. You could be just fine with that power supply, just some people here have RMA'ed several faulty OCZ psu's *cough* SoulTribunal so YMMV. It could be fine, if you have it around use it, if you need another buy it. Powerwise you'll be just fine, it's the reliability of OCZ that I question. Only one way to tell. Good luck!

PS: Nice to see another East Coaster here.

Old February 23, 2010, 09:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks MisterD, OCZ gets none of my love, I've out of pocketed to replace OCZ's with Corsairs now.

The 965 with the EVO is a sweet combination and you will not be disappointed.

Now before you go buying your RAM and such what OS are you running it under?

If its a 32Bit then the 6BG will be a waste as in single GPU config you'll see 3.25GB usable.

Should you want to get a 2x2 GB kit, G.Skill RipJaws or Tridents are awesome and work perfect with the EVO Boards.

Should you replace your PSU, I'd opt for Seasonic Anything usually (550 and above) or a SIlverstone Strider Plus 750. Its overkill but gives you lots of headroom in the future.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 24, 2010, 05:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'll be running Win7 ultimate 64bit. So I'll get the 6g ram.

Nice to know the evo and the 965 will run great, thanks :).
I'm upgrading from an amdx2 4600, so I'm sure I'm going to see a HUGE difference. I'll finally be able to play GTA-IV (15-20 fps was making the game unplayable).

Thanks for the advice on the psu guys. I'll probably start off with my current one, then upgrade after a couple of months.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If I were you I would drop down to the x4 955 and put the extra few $ of savings towards other parts. Only difference from 955 to 965 is the multiplier, which is unlocked on BE processors. Check prices when you are building to see what the better deal is.