Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2010, 08:15 PM
Rookie

Default Silent Air Cooled Gaming Rig! Need lots of input!

Hey Guys!

As you can see, I'm new here and I currently have a budge $2000 max with taxes included to build my very first gaming rig! Here's where I need your help! I'm not too sure which components and brands to throw together to ensure good performance and compatibility. My only requirement is for it to be as quiet as possible. So I'm not too sure which brands of PSU, heatstinks or even the tower enclosure would best fit my needs?

I've heard that the Antec 183 is a good case to start with, but I've also read reviews that Silverstone's FT02 is quite good in terms of reducing noise. I'd also appreciate it if you guys could recommend me a quieter PSU and enough wattage to power up the entire system. For the heatsink, I've read a lot about the Prolimatech Megahalem with Scythe Fans? I'm not too sure how quiet the heatsink+fans are... For the GPU, I'm not really looking for any SLI or Xfire setup.. I think I'm good with a single GPU, but again, I'm not sure which brand to go for either.. I hear nVidia is coming out with new Fermi cards? So maybe it'd be better if I waited for the card to be released. For ram, I think I'd be good with 4gb DDR3, however, there are so many brands out there I'm not which ones have the best timings and quality.. so please suggest! With regards to the mobo, I hear Asus is a good one to start with.. but again.. I'm not too sure.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old February 19, 2010, 01:20 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'd look at getting the Seasonic X-series 650 or 750w for a PSU if you want silence backed with some reliable stable power.
Here's a good review here. Seasonic X-650 650W Review

I just happened to be reading a review on the FT-02 on SPCR Silverstone Fortress FT02 ATX Case | silentpcreview.com
This case is one of the ones on the top of my DO WANT list, I'd look into it more if I were you.

That heatsink is well regarded and it will only be as quiet as the fans you put on it, check out the SPCR forums for more opinions on fans.
For a GPU if you were buying right now I would go with a 5850 and add an aftermarket VGA/VRM cooler on it to keep it in line with your want for silence.

If you are spending $2000 on a PC I would say 4GB of DDR3 would be enough, but you could probably fit in 6/8/12gb of DDR3 depending on the platform you go with, which we haven't even gotten into.
And for motherboards Asus, EVGA and Gigabyte all make solid boards among others like MSI, DFI, and yes even Foxconn, Biostar and ASrock boards can be golden at times!

And here we hit the big question, what platform are you planning on going with? At the price you stated I would want to steer you towards either the Intel X58 or P55 with the i5 or i7
Keep in mind the market is everchanging, what people recommend now may not be what they would recommend 2-3 months from now if that is when you buy.
So just try to keep an open eye and keep soaking up the info you need to make a well educated purchase! (And also check back in here the week you are absolutely planning to buy and they will set you up :) )
Old February 19, 2010, 02:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I had a similar goal when I built my PC at home, having it attached to my TV in the living room I wanted it quiet.I have a Scythe Mugen II cooler and the fan on it is really quiet, I think it's a Flex fan (away from home so I can't check atm) and the cooling is excellent. It's awfully big though, so make sure you have the space. As far as the video card goes, I went with the Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X. I would go with one of the DX11 cards, but the Vapor-Xs are fantastic for being really quiet and running fairly cool (though OC'ing results seem to vary on the cards...).

I'm running the Silverstone Raven case, and the only fan on it I can hear (and only when I'm standing right over it) is the top exhaust port, and that's just barely. It's a bit of an oddball case though, definitely not for everyone.

I'm not well versed in RAM, I have OCZ platinum and it seems pretty decent, but apparently the OC'ing isn't very good. IIRC HWC gave the G.Skill Tridents are really good review so they might be worth looking into.

That's all I can help with, wiser heads will probably have better advice though :D