Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2010, 06:07 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I think the quad core is a good idea. Your brother is a student and may be keeping this rig for a long time, so he may find a need soon enough for those extra threads.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 18, 2010, 06:10 PM
Banned
F@H

Exactly , he start with one and get a second if need, or simply sell it and go for a 58xx or what ever Nvidia will release

the 2 cards are on my Maximus III formula at x8 x8 , now.. after I will put them in the Classified, to compare the bench , Will make a tread about the results , in few week, I need my WC stuf for the EVGA
Old February 18, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Mark and Geo: Quit thread crapping. He stated he isn't overclocking and that he doesn't care for AMD/ ATI. The "new build" rules ask if you are a fan boy, which he is - let it be. Take the personal stuff into PM

I have had stuff accepted a few hours after my order was made, even after NCIX's hours
I don't believe I was thread crapping... I was giving valid advice... I never tried to force him to overclock or whatever. I just told him what's best on the market atm and well, he did see the reason behind why I said AMD is better than NVIDIA in terms of GPU.

Instead of Crossfire 5770, I'd go with one 5850 or 5870.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I don't believe I was thread crapping... I was giving valid advice... I never tried to force him to overclock or whatever. I just told him what's best on the market atm and well, he did see the reason behind why I said AMD is better than NVIDIA in terms of GPU.

Instead of Crossfire 5770, I'd go with one 5850 or 5870.
I would go with one of those myself also, but I am assuming he is trying to keep the price relatively low, seeing how this is for his brother and not himself.
Old February 19, 2010, 03:50 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
...Instead of Crossfire 5770, I'd go with one 5850 or 5870.
it's what i will do too. I just give the xfire as an option, it's why I mention he can sell the 5770 and buy a 58xx , we are just here to give guidance to the OP, it's to him to decide what to buy
Old February 19, 2010, 06:17 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Thanks a ton for all the input guys, i ended up going with the recommendations, NCIX accepted the newegg pricematch, so got the 750 for $4 more than the 650. Also got the 5770 card, mentioned to my brother right now about him going crossfire or OC'ing down the road, and he goes, "whatever, just tell me what I need to do whenever." He's not exactly computer-hardware-literate. Could only understand about a fifth of what I was telling him throughout the whole process.

On a related note, he wants Windows 7, and I still have the RC, and I'm not crazy about the whole shutting down every two hours starting in nine days thing. Does anybody know of a good deal for Windows 7 anywhere, especially for two PCs? I know Microsoft has the Ultimate Steal deal for the Pro Upgrade for $95 right now (still kicking myself for not getting it when it was on for $40 in November). I think I'll do a search and if I don't find anything I'll post a thread elsewhere asking as well (OS or deals section?).