Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
The i5 chips have a 'turbo boost' mode when less than 4 cores are being used. The 750 can run at speeds up to 3.2ghz (no OCing required) when only 1 or 2 cores are being used. AnandTech: Intel's Core i7 870 & i5 750, Lynnfield: Harder, Better, Faster Stronger
+1, with turbo the i5 750 is so much better than the 650. Also, get the 5770 instead of the GTS 250.
Old February 18, 2010, 03:43 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Ok, ok, I conceed, I'll get the i5-750. I guess the 650 can turbo up to 3.4 ish, but the .2 GHz isn't worth the loss of 2 cores for $15. If the 750 wasn't on sale as well I think I'd still go with the 650 though. How strenuous is the pricematch process for NCIX, since newegg.ca has it for $209? Not that I'd order it and pay shipping from the states if I can order it for similar price from Canada.

And yeah, I'm getting the 5770.
Old February 18, 2010, 04:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldie View Post
Ok, ok, I conceed, I'll get the i5-750. I guess the 650 can turbo up to 3.4 ish, but the .2 GHz isn't worth the loss of 2 cores for $15. If the 750 wasn't on sale as well I think I'd still go with the 650 though. How strenuous is the pricematch process for NCIX, since newegg.ca has it for $209? Not that I'd order it and pay shipping from the states if I can order it for similar price from Canada.

And yeah, I'm getting the 5770.
If you're ordering from NCIX, price matching is painless. Just go the cart, click the 'Start Pricematch' button at the bottom of the page, enter the lower price and a link to the website. Might take an extra day or so to get the order approved, but very easy.

Do this with all your parts. Check PriceCanada.com: Search. Compare. Buy. - Canadian Online Shopping Search and Comparison! for the lowest prices of Canadian vendors. Definitely save a few dollars quite easily.
Old February 18, 2010, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Mark and Geo: Quit thread crapping. He stated he isn't overclocking and that he doesn't care for AMD/ ATI. The "new build" rules ask if you are a fan boy, which he is - let it be. Take the personal stuff into PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
If you're ordering from NCIX, price matching is painless. Just go the cart, click the 'Start Pricematch' button at the bottom of the page, enter the lower price and a link to the website. Might take an extra day or so to get the order approved, but very easy.

Do this with all your parts. Check PriceCanada.com: Search. Compare. Buy. - Canadian Online Shopping Search and Comparison! for the lowest prices of Canadian vendors. Definitely save a few dollars quite easily.
I have had stuff accepted a few hours after my order was made, even after NCIX's hours
Old February 18, 2010, 05:43 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Mark and Geo: Quit thread crapping. He stated he isn't overclocking
Sorry guy I was not craping anything ..... the Op list 1066 memory, it's there I start to talk about buying 1333 in case one day he OC, it will cost way more to change the memory if he want to do so one day. we never know what the futur reserve

And I was right to talk about the easy I5 ocing posibility. it give just an option to the OP, without costing anything more. The Op make me a remark about the lower clock of the 750, It's there if he need it ... that's it.

to the OP, buy a good CPU heatsink, like the 212+ , OC or not this is a good choice.
Old February 18, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Sorry guy I was not craping anything ..... the Op list 1066 memory, it's there I start to talk about buying 1333 in case one day he OC, it will cost way more to change the memory if he want to do so one day. we never know what the futur reserve

And I was right to talk about the easy I5 ocing posibility. it give just an option to the OP, without costing anything more. The Op make me a remark about the lower clock of the 750, It's there if he need it ... that's it.

to the OP, buy a good CPU heatsink, like the 212+ , OC or not this is a good choice.
Nothing against your RAM comment, I recomend 1333+ even if one doesn't overclock. Also, nothing against you stating future overclocks, it was just escalating into something that had nothing to do with the OP. It went from future overclocking potential into you and geo debating "fan-boyism". That is all

Waldie:
Your brother, overclocking or not, will thank you for choosing the 750 and a set of DDR3-1600. Like Mark said, in the future he may want to overclock, and chances are he will want too. The reason I say this is because when he starts playing games that become more demanding, there is no cheaper way to just overclock the chip Those 750's are pushing 4+GHz no proplem, but you need the RAM in order to do so. Also, your getting an 8MB cache with the 750, opposed to the 4MB one.
Old February 18, 2010, 05:52 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldie View Post
.. I was actually looking at that exact same XFX 5770 card earlier, but I don't know enough about AMD cards to be able to compare with nVidia....s.

you better to go with a 5770 than a 250 for sure. you can later put a second one in xfire.
Old February 18, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
you better to go with a 5770 than a 250 for sure. you can later put a second one in xfire.
+1. They are kind of like the "new" 4890's. Might not be quite as fast, but they do support DX11, take less power (I think), and are just "newer" pieces of tech. And two in Crossfire are a good combo
Old February 18, 2010, 06:01 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
+1. They are kind of like the "new" 4890's. Might not be quite as fast, but they do support DX11, take less power (I think), and are just "newer" pieces of tech. And two in Crossfire are a good combo

I just try my new 5870 in xfire... they scale DAM good, compare to 4890 .. so I expect the same from the 5770. the review I read confirm it
Old February 18, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I just try my new 5870 in xfire... they scale DAM good, compare to 4890 .. so I expect the same from the 5770. the review I read confirm it
Youre on an x58 platform though? Running at x16/x16? The P55 boards only do x16/x8 (on premium boards), or x8/x8 for the most part. However, numbers have shown a single card running in x8 over x16 is only like a 2% decrease in performance.

On topic: Crossfiring two 5770s would be nice for your bro. I would get one and just "reccomend" him getting a second down the road.