LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2010, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldie View Post
And @geokilla:
Thanks for the input, but I really dislike AMD and ATI... no real reason for it, but I'm a real big Intel and nVidia guy. The Athlon II doesn't seem to be nearly on the same level as the i5's, and likewise with the motherboard. I appreciate the attempt for a cheaper build, of course. My brother wants a cheap build to a point, but he wants a bunch of performance as well. I guess value would be a better word than cheap.
So fanboy. I HATE FANBOYS! Jokes jokes.

Ok some facts that might help you change your mind. AMD is much better than Intel in terms of bangs for buck, especially when no overclocking is involved. Yes the Athlon II is slower than the Core i5, but you get 4 cores. If you want more speed, then move up onto a Phenom II. Still much better solution than Intel's Core i5 as you get 4 cores instead of 2 cores + 2 logical threads making 4 threads.

As for NVIDIA, NVIDIA is out of the chipset business. Intel and AMD chipsets are much better than NVIDIA chipsets, except when you were SLIing in the LGA775 and before days. As for the GPU, AMD GPUs are much better as well at the moment. NVIDIA's been using the same GPUs for what? 3 generations now? If you do want to stick with a NVIDIA GPu, NCIX has the ASUS 9800GT for under $100AR.

Also answer the sticky. We're only guessing what you want right now. The sticky will greatly help us with answering your questions and help us give our recommendations for a new build for your brother.
Old February 18, 2010, 03:34 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Yes the Athlon II is slower than the Core i5, but you get 4 cores. If you want more speed, then move up onto a Phenom II. Still much better solution than Intel's Core i5 as you get 4 cores instead of 2 cores + 2 logical threads making 4 threads..
you must joking... I5-750 have 4 real cores, and can be put at 4,0 ghz with the setting at auto in the BIOS, try to do that with a Phenom.
Old February 18, 2010, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
you must joking... I5-750 have 4 real cores, and can be put at 4,0 ghz with the setting at auto in the BIOS, try to do that with a Phenom.
I think he is referring the i5 650, not the i5 750.
Old February 18, 2010, 03:46 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Sorry, thought I answered most of the sticky items. Budget's around $1000 for the parts listed, i.e. not including monitor, keyboard/mouse and OS.

I'm willing to go for an AMD video card, but I do really want to stick with Intel for the processor. I was actually looking at that exact same XFX 5770 card earlier, but I don't know enough about AMD cards to be able to compare with nVidia.

Also, I'm guessing he's going to get a monitor similar to mine, with 23" 1080p. My GTX 260 runs any game I've gotten at highest settings at that res.

Last edited by Waldie; February 18, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old February 18, 2010, 03:47 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapmaster View Post
I think he is referring the i5 650, not the i5 750.

I know but I said the i5 in general, so I give him one with 4 cores,
Old February 18, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I love how you missed the fact he said he's not overclocking. I love how you're such a fanboy. Again with this. I'm just giving him suggestions and going by what he had in his posts. Jeez.

$1000 isn't exactly cheap. In that case, then yea I guess go with the Core i5. Definitely get one with 4 logical cores and not 2 cores and 4 threads though. Go for the i5-750.

I'm still going to assume that he's going to game at a resolution at or above 1600X900, so yes that XFX 5770 is good.
Old February 18, 2010, 04:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Check out this review: AnandTech: The Clarkdale Review: Intel's Core i5 661, i3 540 & i3 530

Get the i5 750. Don't get stuck on having HT, which is rarely used anyway, and can cause programs to run slower.

There's no logical reason to buy the 650 that I can think of.

EDIT: The review is for the 661 which is just a faster version of the 650, and the 750 beats the 661 in almost all benchmarks/programs.
Old February 18, 2010, 04:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Well, the only thing I could really think of a difference, since he doesn't do anything that would require four threads anyways, was that the clock speed is faster on the i5-650. Only experience I can really draw on is when I bought my build last year, and i was choosing between the E8400 and a 2.3 GHz Quad, and was told that if I was using it primarily for games, they don't do multi-threaded very well right now anyways, and I was better off going for a faster processor than more cores. So I figured the 650 had the hyperthreading if it was really necessary, and it had a much higher speed than the 750.
Old February 18, 2010, 04:26 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I love how you missed the fact he said he's not overclocking. I love how you're such a fanboy..
my a fan boy look at your self in a mirror

the OP have an Intel i5 in his list I stay in the same line, I just suggest to change for a 750 .

fan boy my A$$

even if he don't plan to OC for now, he can change is mind, what they say only crazy peoples nevers change their mind
Old February 18, 2010, 04:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldie View Post
Well, the only thing I could really think of a difference, since he doesn't do anything that would require four threads anyways, was that the clock speed is faster on the i5-650. Only experience I can really draw on is when I bought my build last year, and i was choosing between the E8400 and a 2.3 GHz Quad, and was told that if I was using it primarily for games, they don't do multi-threaded very well right now anyways, and I was better off going for a faster processor than more cores. So I figured the 650 had the hyperthreading if it was really necessary, and it had a much higher speed than the 750.
The i5 chips have a 'turbo boost' mode when less than 4 cores are being used. The 750 can run at speeds up to 3.2ghz (no OCing required) when only 1 or 2 cores are being used. AnandTech: Intel's Core i7 870 & i5 750, Lynnfield: Harder, Better, Faster Stronger