Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2010, 05:55 PM
Rookie

Default Replacing 6yo Rig

Yes, it's been six years since I last got a new machine. Grad School does that to people. Anyway, rather than trying to do an upgrade, a block replacement seems to be in order. I'm looking for comments or recommendations for this. By the way, I plan to physically walk into Microcenter (USA Store) so any alternatives may have to compete with shipping. I'll also be able to make sure I get a D0 i7-920 this way.

Main use will be gaming, video & picture editing and watching Blueray movies. Total cost, with a few other things (i.e. HD) is currently $1514 (not including mail in rebates). I'm debating between a small SSD and a Seagate HD (I'm a Seagate fan, and dislike WDs after killing one in a single day) for the boot drive. Monitor will be a 40" 1920x1080 TV connected through HDMI so HDCP is something I'm worried about. No immediate plans of over clocking just yet, current plan is to try to crank the noise down as low as I can. OC and more upgrades to come later, along with water coolling.

Corsair Obsidian 800D $224
Noctua NH-C12P $70
EVGA X58 SLI $264
Quiet case fans $10x4
i7-920 $200 will make sure it is a D0
Corsair 850HX $170
OCZ 1600-6GB $170
XFX Radeon 5770 $176
Dual DVD Burner$30x2
Windows 7 Pro - $140
HD TBD

Thoughts? Improvements? I'm willing to spend probably $200-$300 more, including hard drive. I'll probably build it in May.

Related: Has anyone used a RAM Disk lately? I figured that with memory controllers now on chip, that access would be even faster and more advantageous than disk storage, especially with motherboards supporting up to 24GB.
Old February 17, 2010, 06:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the Forums! Enjoy your Stay.

A few questions, Do you plan on going X-Fire sometime down the road? I only ask because you could probably live with an HX650 from Corsair or something a little cheaper like a Silverstone Strider 750W Plus. Sure to save you a little coin.

I'd probably swap out the cooler for something like the Zalman Flex, but thats just me. Either cooler is good. For Case Fans, Gelid's Wing Series is good in the noise department but lose out to other fans for performance wise.

My initial thoughts at least.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 17, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ram disk is a term I haven't heard much of since my Amiga days....
Old February 17, 2010, 06:13 PM
Banned
F@H

Welcome to the forum,
First , You will not find a better price than micro center
I will change the Noctua cooler you choose, I guess if you want a DO it's because you plan to OC, as much I like the NH-C12P ( I have 2) , you better fo with the Flex like St suggest, cheaper, anyway you will WC later, so don't spent to much on the cooler. Even a 212+ will do the thing if you don't Oc before you WC the build

I will go with an other brand than OCZ for memory, with a build of this class a SSD is welcome. If you go SSD, get an Intel 80 Gb , or a Indilinx 120 Gb, the 60 are slower, Your 5770 may be underpower for a 1900 monitor. I know my 4890 is not quite enough power full for my 1920x1200, The Corsair case is good for your futur WC
Old February 17, 2010, 06:43 PM
Rookie

I am looking at crossfire/SLI in the future, so I do need the larger PSU.

The Gelid's Wing fans appear to lose on both sound and performance to the Cooler Master fan above, so I'm not sure of a benefit beyond the speed control.

Any particular reason you prefer the Zalman Flex? I'm seeing that it is $20 cheaper, but that looks to be about the cost of putting a fan on it. Is the only reason cost or is it a better cooler?

Corsair Dominator RAM $230 I was considering before. I'm hoping this is a good substitute for the OCZ Ram. X25-M Intel SSD This work?

By the way, I just saw the Corsair 700D summary. I have a use for the drive trays (cold swapping bootable OS drives) so I'm looking to keep the 800D unless I add this to the 700D.

*edit*
Oh yeah, I have no problem turning the resolution on the 1920x1080 tv down during gaming for the time being. Main thing would be not needing it during movie playback.
Old February 18, 2010, 11:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Which Gelid Fans are you talking about? I have 3 Kinds that I've used, and most of CM's offerings Past and Present.

Ignore whatever they say for Dba on any Fan Manufacturer. Most of the time its incorrect or not in situations that are realistic to the modern PC User.

CM's R4 Fans are top Tier for them and generally speaking are very solid for price/performance. They use a very tight 9 bladed design that makes their Noise very unique. They also beat out the Gelids in the Static Pressure department by a good margin too making them very suited for Heatsink and Rad Duty.

That being said, on to the Flex. It is truely a well designed cooler. So is the Noctua. Both will get the Job done well. With the Noctua however you are paying the premium on their Fans, and while they do make a nice piece of kit, there are cheaper Options out there that can net better cooling results. This is not knocking on either Cooler, merely an observation of performance. I'd own Noctua Fans if they weren't so damn expensive compared to similar fans out there.

My thoughts at least,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old February 18, 2010, 07:59 PM
Rookie

This is what I found when searching for 'Gelid's Wing fan', so I used the stats listed there and compared it to the ones I have above. If I ignore the dBa, then I have no way to compare noise other than hooking them up. Figures that marketing gets involved and messes things up once again. I was planning on putting three in the top of the case, and in the future putting a triple radiator up there and one in the bottom in addition to the default fans.

Hm. I have found the Zalman CNPS10X Ultra Quiet (Flex+Fan) for $50. If the default fan isn't powerful enough, I can switch in one of the 120mm case fans. Although I do find that unlikely from past experience with another of their fans.
Old February 18, 2010, 09:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adciv View Post
This is what I found when searching for 'Gelid's Wing fan', so I used the stats listed there and compared it to the ones I have above. If I ignore the dBa, then I have no way to compare noise other than hooking them up. Figures that marketing gets involved and messes things up once again. I was planning on putting three in the top of the case, and in the future putting a triple radiator up there and one in the bottom in addition to the default fans.

Hm. I have found the Zalman CNPS10X Ultra Quiet (Flex+Fan) for $50. If the default fan isn't powerful enough, I can switch in one of the 120mm case fans. Although I do find that unlikely from past experience with another of their fans.

The CNPS10X is not by any stretch a Flex + Fan. It has less fin surface, and alas its mounting for anything other than 775 and AM3 is less than Ideal (no backplate for i5/i7). The Flex was a vast improvment over Zalmans previous CNPS10X series.

As for Case Fans, yes, Ignore the marketing PR. CFM tends to be +/- 5% of whats advertised (According to my Fluke CFM meter). And Sound can vary too depending on what exactally the fan is mounted on or in.

That being said, if your going the Radiator Route, use the R4's as they have a very good Static Pressure rating and NCIX has a damn good warranty right through their site with them.
I've now hit 60+ R4 Fans, bought through NCIX/TD ect and I am quite happy with them.

The only other option I can think of off hand for lower noise and Mid-Performance Range is a SilenX Xtreme 120mm, however my testing on this particular unit isn't done but inital impressions from me are good this far.

Otherwise, the rest of your build looks good. I'd go with G.SKill Tridents or Mushkin Blacklines though for RAM choice. I've never been a fan of OCZ.

ST

Old February 18, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

DX10 gmes love the higher res the run bettter at native on mine. Using 9800 GTX+ :)