Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2010, 11:04 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Would appreciate opinions/suggestions on my new rig

Hello to all!

The last rig I had built for me was back in 2003, and it was a P4 3.2GHz running windows XP. Suffice it to say, it's time to move on. Below is a potential new rig that I've put together, and I'd appreciate it if someone could offer up some opinions and/or suggestions. The purpose of this rig is for gaming/HD video playback. I currently have a 22" HP LCD with a native resolution of 1680x1050. So I'd like to be able to play games like Dragon Age: Origins and COD6 flawlessly with everything maxed out. Also, I might be getting a blu-ray drive in the future, so this rig has to be able to play HD video flawlessly, as well.

There's also a couple of questions at the end regarding where I should order the parts from and whether I should build this rig myself or have it built for me.

Budget: $1,400-1,600 AFTER TAX. Would prefer $1,400.
Brand Preference: I'd prefer Asus, Intel, Gigabyte, XFX, Cooler Master, and Western Digital. But I'm open to suggestions!
Country of purchase: Vancouver, Canada!

Spec:
Cpu: Intel i5-750 2.66GHz
Mobo: Asus P7P55D Pro
Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
Video: XFX HD 5850 XXX-Edition 1GB
Hdd: Western Digital Caviar 640GB 7200rpm
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
Psu: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700 Watt
Optical: LG DVD Writer

Question 1: I've visited NCIX (Vancouver) in person and also newegg.ca, and the the sub-total estimate is slightly different, with newegg.ca being cheaper (excluding the OS, which is cheaper at NCIX). So, I can either:
1. Order everything from NCIX (and pay slightly more for the hardware, but less for the OS), or,
2. I can order everything EXCEPT OS from newegg.ca.
If the latter route is chosen, then I pay less than I would at NCIX, even including the shipping. However, I do run the supposed risk of having things shipped from newegg.ca. Opinions? Is pick-up preferred over shipping?

Question 2: I can either have this built by NCIX (assuming I order everything from them), or I can attempt building it myself. I have NEVER done something like this before. I have upgraded individual components myself, such as replacing optical drive and video cards, add ram and sound card, but never everything from the ground-up. I'd certainly like to try, but I wouldn't want to do it if there's an actual risk of me damaging my parts.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

Last edited by mike.mgs4; February 14, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old February 14, 2010, 12:17 PM
Rookie

I haven't assembled a PC either but there's a noticeable risk,as far as I know,of messing with your CPU's pins and this is quite irreparable,so I don't suggest you interfere with this part of the procedure.I belive that the process is quite interesting though and if you can find someone to connect your CPU to the mobo the rest should be doable,given that you pay the neccesary heed and read the manual carefully.As for the processor it's your choice and I believe that it depends on wether you upgrade casually or not.If you upgrade casually an i7 could make a noticeable difference.If you plan though to upgrade your VGA after 2-3 years even an i7 could be inadequate given that new VGA's come out every 6 months approximately.It is a general truth though that you shouldn't give a penny about what shop assistants say even if they themselves don't own the company,except if they've objectively earned your trust.I have to admit though that I am quite a rookie concerning the knowledge of components's real world potential and you should consider my opinion accordingly.If I said anything which doesn't make sense anyone knowledgeable should correct me.
Old February 14, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First of all, welcome to HWC!

The system you have layed out there should be absolutely fine for everything you're looking at doing. The only thing I would maybe change would be to buy the standard version of the 5850 and OC it yourself. You'll get the same results and save a few bucks.

As for purchase price on parts; your best bet is to order everything online through NCIX and simply price match the parts to whatever etailer is cheapest. You can use this website's Price Compare link to do that if you'd like. That way you're purchasing locally and save on the shipping, AND you can get the best price.

As for putting a system together yourself... if you're comfortable doing some research and you're tech savy, you shouldn't have too much trouble doing it. But if you're not sure, you might be better off letting someone else do it. I know NCIX does it for a flat build rate, which is certainly handy. But there's also the option to request someone here do it for you. There are several people from HWC that are local to Vancouver that build PC's for a small fee. So one way or another, you should have no trouble getting the help you need.
Old February 14, 2010, 12:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

^^ Agree 100% especially on the video card. For gaming the 750 is perfect. personally I would recommend a different power supply. You should take a look at the Silverstone Strider 750w power supply. With a price match you can get it for 20$ less then the CM PSU. Also do you plan on overclocking your processor?
Old February 14, 2010, 01:15 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambel626 View Post
^^ . You should take a look at the Silverstone Strider 750w power supply. With a price match you can get it for 20$ less then the CM PSU.
same here the build is solind and I will change only the PSU, the one sugested here is solid
Old February 14, 2010, 01:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thank you for all the suggestions (definitely open to more!).

I have swapped out the gpu for the regular edition and also changed the PSU to the one suggested. I should probably read up on overclocking, though, since I know next to nothing about it.

Thanks again!
Old February 15, 2010, 04:43 AM
Rookie

What about going with X58 for upgradability?Any suggestions or points?
Old February 15, 2010, 06:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smn123 View Post
What about going with X58 for upgradability?Any suggestions or points?

I don't know that it's all that critical. He's going to be happy with a single 5850 for a while. And in the event he wants to upgrade, he'll either Xfire another 5850 (which x8x8 will be fine for) or move to a higher single card. I think the only card on the market to this day that sees a significant drop moving to x8x8 is that beast of a card, the 5970. And I don't know anyone that's quite crazy enough to buy two of these.
Old February 15, 2010, 06:18 AM
Rookie

I think I got missunderstood.I was referring to the intel X58 chipset.

Last edited by Smn123; February 15, 2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old February 15, 2010, 06:25 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smn123 View Post
I think I got missunderstood.I was referring to the intel X58 chipset.
Caldezar understand you well, he explain than a 1156 socket P55 chipset can also handle 2 GPU. at x8 with out to much lost performance. They talk about 3% lost on a high end GPU, so let say 1 fps on 30fps, ( if they influence so low FPS , in those low fps I think it's more the GPU that bottle neck thant the lanes

I will not talk about the 100 FPS and more, it's the minimum fps that count