Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Possible rebuild with my new GPU(s)

Not sure that 'new builds' forum is the best place to put this, but best I could find:

Basically, as has been stated in other threads, I'm ordering a couple new 5850's. However this leaves me with a concern; I'm running an X2 550 unlocked on an AM2+ board (790x x8x8 PCIE2 crossfire) with 6GB DDR2 RAM. (Details in system spec drop down)

Basically I'm wondering if this system will bottleneck the GPU's? Should I be considering the switch to a full AM3 platform with DDR3? (And probably a 790fx while I'm at it) Or would the comparable difference be negligible? Please keep in mind that I don't want to spend huge volumes of money, so I'll be sticking with my 550 rather than selling it and swapping to a 965 or something.

My other thought (just to throw it out there) is to order a single 5870 rather than crossfire 5850's. Not sure if that really makes a difference or not, but I'd be interested in hearing the feedback. This will likely also prompt a case change though as I've been doing some research, and a single 5870 is a pain in and of itself to fit in my storm, let alone possible Xfire down the road.

*Note* I currently only run a single 1680x1050 monitor, but I'll be moving to a larger setup in the next few months. Not sure if it'll be a move to dual monitor or larger single one though. Depends on how I feel when the time comes.
Old February 14, 2010, 10:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The extra memory bandwidth will not be noticeable in day to day applications or gaming, IMHO. Benchmarks, yes.
Old February 14, 2010, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

So running on a DDR2 platform I should still be good? I know the x8x8 isn't that big a deal, just something I'd change if I was making the move anyway. Just don't want to buy a crazy GPU setup, just to have it throttled back elsewhere.

Honestly though, this is a relief if I'm OK as I sit. Setting up backups and reinstalling Windows is such a pain.
Old February 14, 2010, 11:18 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

You should be fine. Unless you'll be gaming at 1600p, you won't have to worry about bottlenecking with your system, and even then it's probably not a concern. Every game you want to run should be very playable at maximum settings.