Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2010, 09:04 PM
Top Prospect

Default Couple issues on a new build

Here is the info on my new rig as i know you need to know what you are dealing with to help me.

Case: Coolermaster haf case in perfect shape
Power suppy: new OCZ Stealth Extreme - 400 watts - i dont do gaming.
CPU: new Intel i7-860 quad core cpu w stock hs\fan -s1156
Mobo: new Asus P7P55D LE - got a great deal on this and its good enuf for me
Ram: new 4 x 1 gb Corsair ddr 3
Main hard drive - used OCZ 130gb ssd
Secondary hard drive - used WD Velociraptor 150 gb
new dvd dl burner

I am up and running now with win 7 ultimate. It boots up and works fine so far but I need help with a couple issues.

First issue:
When it boots up, just before it boots to windows, i get a notice that I have no hard drives installed. Of course there are and it boots find and shows both drives "in my computer". I'm guessing its a bios issue and some change should be made but i dont know which entry to change, if indeed its a bios issue. And inside the bios the hard drives show up too.

Second issue: The mobo has an 8 pin atx connector on it. But the ps only has a 4 pin 12 v line and another line that has 8 pins(6 +2) but it says pci-e. So i got a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter and put it on the 4 pin 12 v line and connected that to the mobo connector that has 8 pins and i left the pci-e line unplugged. Right now i am only running a 128mb ati video card that doesnt seem to need any more power and has no connector on it for power. I need to know if i did this right or could i have connected the pci-e 8 pin line to the 8 pin connector on the mobo?
One other thing. When i went to mount the s1156 hs\fan to the mobo it looked much the same as a s775. I then went and matched them up and they seem to be the same such that one should be able to use a s775 hs\fan rig on a s1156 cpu. Would that be correct? I used the correct stock s1156 hs\fan that my cpu came with but i am left wondering.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope i have made myself clear as to the issues. If not please let me know and i will provide further info as needed. Im so glad it fired up right away. I lucked into great deals on all the parts i got, almost all thanks to forums!
Old February 13, 2010, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default More power

Yes thr Intel heat sink is very simalar but not the same. Pin spacing is not the same 1156 is bigger. I see an upgrade in your futer the heat sink is second.

If I was you I would make a upgrade to a better and more powerful power supply first upgrade. I would look at 600 watts or more 80+ power supply. You will have have more isues with 400 watt power supply and no room to grow your system.
Old February 13, 2010, 09:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nork View Post

First issue:
When it boots up, just before it boots to windows, i get a notice that I have no hard drives installed. Of course there are and it boots find and shows both drives "in my computer". I'm guessing its a bios issue and some change should be made but i dont know which entry to change, if indeed its a bios issue. And inside the bios the hard drives show up too.
I would not be too concerned about this. Is the HDD set to SATA 'AHCI' by any chance? I think the "No Any Drive Found" message popped up on my previous Asus P5Q-E board but all worked fine anyway. I set it to SATA 'IDE' in BIOS and the message disappeared if I recall correctly. Use AHCI only if you need it such as hot swapping. Another check if I remember is a third party IDE controller such as JMicron needs to be disabled in BIOS.

Quote:
Second issue: The mobo has an 8 pin atx connector on it. But the ps only has a 4 pin 12 v line and another line that has 8 pins(6 +2) but it says pci-e. So i got a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter and put it on the 4 pin 12 v line and connected that to the mobo connector that has 8 pins and i left the pci-e line unplugged. Right now i am only running a 128mb ati video card that doesnt seem to need any more power and has no connector on it for power. I need to know if i did this right or could i have connected the pci-e 8 pin line to the 8 pin connector on the mobo?
NO! The PCIe cable is only for a video card that requires power. Do not use it for the ATX 12v power! The connectors may be keyed differently anyway to prevent this. So what you have done by using the adapter is correct.

Quote:

One other thing. When i went to mount the s1156 hs\fan to the mobo it looked much the same as a s775. I then went and matched them up and they seem to be the same such that one should be able to use a s775 hs\fan rig on a s1156 cpu. Would that be correct? I used the correct stock s1156 hs\fan that my cpu came with but i am left wondering.
I thought the s775 HSF mount holes are slightly different than the s1156? At least with my boards they are. I did have to buy an s1156 adapter kit for my Zalman HSF to mount it properly.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old February 13, 2010, 10:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah definitely should consider upgrading your PSU when you have some extra money.

As for the no drives issue, I'd go into the BIOS and disable the JMicron controller, assuming you don't use the IDE port or the rear eSATA port. Probably get rid of that "error".
Old February 13, 2010, 11:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Many motherboards with an 8pin cpu connecter, will accept a 4pin if you dont have an 8. You might have seen the 8 pin connectors, with a black cover over 4 pins. This is so you know where to plug the 4 in, if you dont have an 8. Sounds like overcame all of your problems yourself, gj!
Old February 14, 2010, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

8 Pin will be usefull only under OC to add more power and more stability to your CPU. For the HDD not installed message Asus board do this for a while and we don't really know why so don't pay attention just let the PC boot. And, no the 1156 cooler is a little bit biger.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 14, 2010, 03:19 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the info on these issues. I really appreciate hearing from those who know more than i do, which isnt hard, lol.

I am going to disable the jmicron and remove that adaptor and just plug in the 4 pin P4 cable.

On the power supply, though, its a brand name and i figure 400 watts is enuf for my usage as i dont OC, i dont run high-power video, only built in or in this case a 128 gig ati card. The only other items i run are a usb external hub and a couple usb external hard drives and i usually only have one on at a time. To me, of course the cabling and connectors have to match your mobo but i i believe that having a better quality power supply with low wattage is better than an off-brand that purports to have more wattage as tests prove they are often a pack of lies anyway and the 400 watt unit i have may be better than most or all off-brand units that purport to be 500 and 600 watts when they arent. In addition, you can go into any store, take the side panel off and check, for instance, HP branded machines and you will find power supplies rated from 185 to just over 200 watts and they run, so i figure a brand name 400 watter is fine under low-power situations. And this 400 watter is pretty heavy, which is often a good start when you want to find out if the ps is of decent quality. And each rail seems to have a decent voltage.
One day they will start putting weights in power supplies to fool us even more. Remember the old telephones, they had weights in them to fool us into thinking they were better quality! These days they dont bother with adding weights to the handset like they used to. I guess too many wives conked their old man on the head with them, lol. I guess time will tell on this. But in the meantime i dont think i am doing my system any harm, am I. If i am then i would switch to a larger watt ps.
Old February 14, 2010, 03:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nork View Post
Thanks for the info on these issues. I really appreciate hearing from those who know more than i do, which isnt hard, lol.

I am going to disable the jmicron and remove that adaptor and just plug in the 4 pin P4 cable.

On the power supply, though, its a brand name and i figure 400 watts is enuf for my usage as i dont OC, i dont run high-power video, only built in or in this case a 128 gig ati card. The only other items i run are a usb external hub and a couple usb external hard drives and i usually only have one on at a time. To me, of course the cabling and connectors have to match your mobo but i i believe that having a better quality power supply with low wattage is better than an off-brand that purports to have more wattage as tests prove they are often a pack of lies anyway and the 400 watt unit i have may be better than most or all off-brand units that purport to be 500 and 600 watts when they arent. In addition, you can go into any store, take the side panel off and check, for instance, HP branded machines and you will find power supplies rated from 185 to just over 200 watts and they run, so i figure a brand name 400 watter is fine under low-power situations. And this 400 watter is pretty heavy, which is often a good start when you want to find out if the ps is of decent quality. And each rail seems to have a decent voltage.
One day they will start putting weights in power supplies to fool us even more. Remember the old telephones, they had weights in them to fool us into thinking they were better quality! These days they dont bother with adding weights to the handset like they used to. I guess too many wives conked their old man on the head with them, lol. I guess time will tell on this. But in the meantime i dont think i am doing my system any harm, am I. If i am then i would switch to a larger watt ps.
5 OCZ's and counting. After the 3rd RMA on the 700W one I threw it out, and the 1050 I hit with a hammer to end my suffering.

It might work for you now. But I'd suggest something along the lines of a VX550.

Just my thoughts.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 14, 2010, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

ST is dead on. Your power supply is working ok now but since its not considered "good quality" if down the road it conks on you sometimes it takes other hardware along with it. Get the Corsair model. No worrying after that.
Old February 15, 2010, 07:35 AM
Top Prospect

uh oh

Well, i have others. I have a new Ultra 550 watt. Guess i will swap that out and sell the OCZ on kijiji, lol. I dont want any parts going down when a ps goes!
thanks