Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2010, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Yes. As I said a long time ago, SSDs make the computer load things very, very fast. This does include games. However, once you're in the game you're not going to see improved framerates, and it's not worth sacrificing core components (especially if he's not upgrading for a long time).
once again wrong when you play your games off of virtual disk using game jackle (game dvd is on ssd) it stops all micro stutter that happen even in the middle of a stage when playing normally when the dvd or hd has to spin up on an ssd there is no stutter at all. this has nothing to do with load time i know this from experience. and i was not attacking you i was pointing out that what your saying is not true this is one of the big reason gamers use ssd to remove micro-stutter playing the load data from a virtual drive so data in on said ssd. sorry for the off topic.
edit and frame rates do get better because it's never waiting for data. I have tested this on many a different ssd. though on board video seems to benefit the best from it.

Last edited by gingerbee; February 11, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:44 PM
MVP

But it's a moot point for anyone who doesn't play games on virtual drives. It may be true, but it's a very specific instance that doesn't apply to a lot of people, even a lot of gamers.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRT View Post
I went through all of this recently and I ended up with the Gigabyte P55A-UD4P and G.Skill NQ series DDR3. I love that RAM it's so pretty on my blue UD4P too! It's an i7 860 CPU. I think the Ripjaws are fine, but they are bigger and IMO kinda goofy looking. The NQ was what I wanted from the beginning.

The setup is fantastic. I slapped it all together and routed all my cables cleanly, fired up fine, made the bios changes I wanted, and installed Win7. Works great. Stability is good so far, I game lots on this rig and its been trouble free. (with my 4850 card, not my 4890, for those who saw my other thread) I recommend the two. (board and RAM)
Is this the one you have? It is this one at NCIX and Amazon.com. NICX has another version for a few bucks cheaper. What is the difference? I don't mind spending a few $ more if it is better.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
But it's a moot point for anyone who doesn't play games on virtual drives. It may be true, but it's a very specific instance that doesn't apply to a lot of people, even a lot of gamers.
I play old games on NES, Super Famicon emulator. Is that consider game?
Old February 11, 2010, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@^yes they are games. I don't know any gamers who play there games off of there disks. loading times are horrendous. no more off topic i just wanted to point out that there a very good reason for ssd and games.
Old February 12, 2010, 09:00 PM
Rookie

ok.. what if I give up getting USB3 and SATA6, which motherboard is "the best"? I think SSD is already a lot faster than regular HD. This article explains that current solution of the new speed on P55, even though it works, still isn't the best. So I think I will not get it for this build or I go for X58. Does X58 has the same problem?

Those have SSD, do you only have OS on it? Do you install other programs as well? Which way is better? Dedicated SSD for OS only?