Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2010, 07:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I quite like ASUS products, that being said, I've always felt brand loyalty is a bit of a waste. Go for the best product to suit your needs. Check benches and reviews, if ASUS is the best, go for it, otherwise you really can't go wrong with reputable companies.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I agree mate ^ if Foxxcon wasn't so damn hard to come by I'd have them in the list too.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 9, 2010, 07:43 PM
MVP

We're not so much talking brand loyalty. It's just that ASUS (as well as Gigabyte and for the most part MSI) simply produce consistently good, and often the best, products. Of course people check the benches and reviews, but honestly these are the companies that typically top the charts.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
We're not so much talking brand loyalty. It's just that ASUS (as well as Gigabyte and for the most part MSI) simply produce consistently good, and often the best, products. Of course people check the benches and reviews, but honestly these are the companies that typically top the charts.
I agree, and now that EVGA is out of the nVidia Chipsets and just Intel ones, they actually have damn good Kit for LGA1156 and 1366 too.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 9, 2010, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman-Spiff View Post
Which motherboard model, philty?

Sometimes even the best companies can make bad product lines. I remember a few years back, the ASUS Striker Extreme series... those were crap o.o

THAT was not Asus I'm pretty sure. It's pretty well universally accepted that the Nvidia 680i chipset was hated. In fact, I think Braineater might have a few subtle nuances with dealing with motherboards of that chipset.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:51 PM
MVP

Ah. I've been looking at Intel's LGA775 and AMD's chipsets so long I forgot EVGA was doing the recent Intel chipsets too. I always associate them with videocards, but I always overlook them for motherboards. I've got to admit, they've got some serious contenders in the performance market. They've got some hella-good quality (not to mention a kick-arse customer service department).
Old February 9, 2010, 08:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
THAT was not Asus I'm pretty sure. It's pretty well universally accepted that the Nvidia 680i chipset was hated. In fact, I think Braineater might have a few subtle nuances with dealing with motherboards of that chipset.
The Striker boards were pretty bad, but there also weren't any truly good 680i or 780i motherboards, so ASUS was hardly exclusive in that regard. As far as their boards using Intel and other chipsets, I've been using ASUS products almost exclusively in my main rigs since I was running a Pentium II machine, and they've never let me down.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Awesomely
Superior
Ultimate
Stuffs
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old February 9, 2010, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

imho, asus quality is very good nor worst... depend on model and price...

but as far as my experience is... asus drivers are pretty bad and buggy...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
You just got bad luck then...

I don't get why people go like OMG X COMPANY SUCKS DUE TO DEFECTIVE X when the same can apply to any other company. If it was happening to everyone, then obviously there's something wrong with their products.
TWO dead P5KC's , a dead maximus formula and a still half-working maximus formula which they refuse to replace? I call bull****!

so OMG ASUS COMPANY SUCKS DUE TO DEFECTIVE ABOVE!

I've never had such a bad experience with ANY other company, not just computer based.