Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2010, 05:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just went through an RMA with Asus. The motherboard was around 2 years old and the USB ports stopped working. They replaced the motherboard with a newer model and shipped it back. The process took a little over a month from the time the motherboard reached Asus. It seemed like a long time compared to some other companies I have dealt with for RMA's. Here is something interesting and take it for what its worth. When I got the new motherboard from Asus the box was inside out. Inside the box the motherboard was not in the static bag and was sitting on the bottom of the box. The board worked without problem so everything is back to normal.

I have a new Gigabyte UD5 and I really like this board. The X58 Asus boards get good reviews and seem to be well built. I really liked my DFI NF4 Ultra-D board prior to this Gigabyte. I hate the Intel DX58SO motherboard I have.

Edit:
The Asus 58XX Series ATI video cards are getting rave reviews. Asus was also top rated in notebook reliability last year of all the major manufactures.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:17 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Asus like any modern company has cheap lines, good lines and GREAT lines. Stay away from their cheap end kit. While it is as good as most cheap / value kit out there....cheap kit is cheap kit. The old adage you get what you pay for holds true with GB, Asus, Evga and all the others. I have had great luck with Asus's good gear, been using them since their mud brown mobos were all they made!

Just my personal opinion.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 9, 2010, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

every time i swear off asus i can't find a board with comparable features.

that being said, so far high end gigabyte boards have been OK.. they've come a loong way since my first experience with them (s754 nf3?)

asus rma is hit or miss.. last two have been flawless, the two before that pain in ass. still have one x48 board sitting in my closet bc their rma dept says it's user error that made my mosfets blow up.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I have had great luck with Asus's good gear, been using them since their mud brown mobos were all they made!

Just my personal opinion.
You mean this far back?

Of course this was the cheap model that lacked the slot to add a 512KB L2 cache for the processor.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:26 PM

Further back than that. Talking 386 days (or was it 486...cant remember!) ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 9, 2010, 06:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

guess ill have to go and see if i can dig out my asus dual dx66 motherboard then and take a snapshot of that lol. I can prob go back as far as you lol.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:30 PM

Probably so. :)
All us old timers need to gather round, grab a beer and talk about the old days and "these young'uns nowadays go no respect...they got is so easy...back in my day we didnt have Operating systems...or fancy keybaords we had to bang out a program with rocks....uphill BOTH ways!" kind thangs. :)~

Old February 9, 2010, 06:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

FOr giggles sake, I still have hanging up on a wall my first Dual CPU board. Twin PII 333's , that ASUS board was awesome.

I've had 2 bad ones from them as well. But I don't give up on a few bad things (Except when it comes to 12 dead PSU's *cough* OCZ *Cough*) and even still I come back every year or two and try them out again.

Asus and Gigabyte are Top Tier Board Manufacturers and their mid-high end stuff is really good bang for the buck these days.
I've got their EVO's and I am in love. Awesome boards.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 9, 2010, 06:37 PM
MVP

Well, for me there's a top three (at least in motherboard manufacturing), those being ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI. ASUS being in there says a fair bit. That said, I think I prefer MSI in the GPU department, at least for the 5000 series. I've got an ASUS 5770 and I had some problems, but it's been resolved, and I think it was primarily ATI's poor drivers anyway. Anyway, they're certainly a solid choice in just about any area.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:38 PM

+1 to MSI GPU's. I LOVE my twin frozr 275. Damn thing runs MUCH, MUCH cooler than my EVGA 275.