Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2010, 11:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Upgrade to i5

so i decided to move to i5, i have ordered an EVGA P55 FTW, i5 750, and G.Skill PC3 Ripjaws 2x2 kit,
just curious if anyone has this board and cpu combo and can give me an idea of the OC i can expect to achive. i'm going to use my true 120 black for cooling.

Old February 9, 2010, 11:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I hit 4.2ghz no problem on 2 different motherboards with my i5 chip. Also didnt spend near that price for an EVGA board to get good results either.But you should get 4ghz 24/7 as i had zero problem.
Old February 9, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The Review for that Board on NCIX is very good...that Board is sweet!!

Old February 9, 2010, 11:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

ya, i could have bought a cheaper board but.. go with what you know in my case. i had to rma my 780i and everything went flawlessly so thats why i went with evga. :)

4ghz would be nice, 3.6 would even make me happy.

Old February 9, 2010, 11:44 AM
MVP

Unless you're setting records the RAM won't likely make a difference in your CPU overclock. Can't speak for the motherboard, but based on what I've seen of chips in general you're looking at 4.0 - 4.4GHz (based on maximum CPU and motherboard base clocks).

I would have recommended something by ASUS, but I've heard very good things about EVGA's boards too (not to mention the customer service).
Old February 9, 2010, 12:05 PM
Banned
F@H

BT you have ORDERED a very good board. powerful enough to do the job without the bell and whistle of the more expensive one

Even if you set the voltage to auto , it will oc @ 4,0 1,31 volts and with a good cooler, you will get 67-70 'C on torture test. I get those result with a 212+ , I switch to a Noctua D 14 , it run now at 4,2 with similar temp. with 3 fans on the cooler
Old February 9, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

glad to hear it have fun.
Old February 9, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Using this board we get 4.0 here using a I7 860 so a 750 should get arond 4Ghz stable 24 7 stable and you will probably be able to bench at 4.2 4.3 if you push it a bit. Great kit indeed. You have a realy good Mobo great ram and a decent CPU ( by decent I mean well priced good perf and OCable ). Let's have fun with this little guys and maybe give us some news in the OC section of the forum

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 9, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^ you review for hwc? cause you talk like you have done a review on this board. have you used it at all?
I just ask cause i didn't see it if you did and i think he's asking for first hand experience. or is all this based on reviews you have read. just asking for what experience you have with the board. really not trying to be an ass just wondering what 1156 board to buy when i do and i want first hand experience not just review you read.
Old February 9, 2010, 12:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I got some cheapie crucial ddr3 1333 that runs rock solid 2ghz. So far ive been able to get 4.2ghz out of my old i5 with an asus p7p55d (vanilla model) and a cheapie gigabyte p55m-ud4. My current setup i can get 4.4ghz no prob, but im lacking a proper radiator to keep the temps in check.

Back to the OP, you are going to be very pleased with your results though.My bad on the rant about EVGA boards.