Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2010, 08:16 AM
Rookie

Default tfc server

Im planning on making a tfc (team fortress classic) server, but im not sure what specs ill need to run it. Any ideas?
Old February 20, 2010, 08:58 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

You don't really need much to be honest. It's more on the internet connection side I would worry.

If you just want the one server, a Pentium 4 2GHZ with 2 gigs of ram will run a server very easily. It just depends how many FPS you are running it at. But chances are you should be fine.

I have heard that at default FPS you need 6kb/s upload per slot for it to be stable. It may increase per FPS but I'm not SURE if it does or does not.

FPS has something to do with the speed of the server, but I'm not sure exactly how I can explain it in detail.

So for example, a 10 player server requires 60kb/s upload, however, if you want to be able to surf at the same time, please keep in mind that this is is no different than running uTorrent at 60kb/s nonstop (if it's constantly full) and if you are on DSL, it will substantially slow down your internet connection's responsiveness.

If you know how much upload you have, make sure there is some room for general internet tasks. For example, if my max was 80kb/s, I might run a 10 player server, with the 20kb/s made for my general internet connection.

If you don't know what your max upload is, you could run a speedtest at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test I believe, but alternatively you can just check with your ISP..

To save you some time, if you're using Bell or a Bell DSL reseller, you most likely have roughly 80kb/s upload (on their 5mbit/800kbps plan)...

I hope this helps.

Last edited by undeclared; February 20, 2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old March 19, 2010, 03:49 AM
Banned

Hi,I am using this free best site IP-Details.com : Find your IP address Information ,here i got my computer's exact internet download,upload speed ,you can also try this site for more information.
Old March 27, 2010, 09:19 PM
Trial Member

It doesn't require a very powerful system. The thing that will make your server a hit though is the bandwidth you have. Bell has just started their new fiber optic network, if you have the cash you should give them a try. Just listen to undeclared, he knows what he's talking about :)