Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

"........must.....wait.......a.....little... ......longer............for....................... ..............................................Ferm i. "
Old February 9, 2010, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Provided you can afford the hobby....thiers no such thing as Overkill ;)

Old February 9, 2010, 07:43 PM
MVP

I disagree. Just because you set aside a budget doesn't mean you need to use all of it. Use the money for something else. Or save it up for future upgrades that will increase performance later.
Old February 10, 2010, 03:37 AM
Banned
F@H

Overkill GPU on a 1920 x 1xxx monitor ...
someone must be joking here..
I have not yet see a GPU pushing a such screeen to the limit

@ OP , if something fit your budget make sence and you like it BUY IT , it's your money
Old February 10, 2010, 05:36 AM
MVP

Yes, overkill. A 5870 is really only worth it if you're running a 2560x1600 screen or some form of Eyefinity.
Old February 10, 2010, 06:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Yes, overkill. A 5870 is really only worth it if you're running a 2560x1600 screen or some form of Eyefinity.
I have run my 4870x2 (similar FPS compared to the 5870) on a 1680 x 1050 monitor. I don't call it overkill, I call it being prepared, making sure I'm never going to drop below 60FPS. Now I'm on a 2048x1152 monitor and this card still chugs along like a beast.
I say get the best you can because you never know when you're going to get a higher resolution monitor or that next big game comes out that will destroy your FPS with a slightly lower card.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old February 10, 2010, 08:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

@ RJ - I agree.

@ Ras - Well look at it this way, get a good overkill card now so down the road he can upgrade his monitor without having to worry about the VC at the same time.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 10, 2010, 08:13 AM
Banned
F@H

We have to understand also than some members here can afford the luxury of a higher GPU . it's not always a question of $$$$...
Old February 10, 2010, 09:33 AM
MVP

Here's my opinion.

I laugh at people who buy a 1600 dollar computer that they'll keep for 6 years without upgrading. They don't realize that the best of the best now won't be even decent 6 years from now. My opinion is, get what you need right now, or maybe a bit more. Rather than spending 1600 dollars right now (assuming you don't actually need it to game on your current monitor) get an 1000 dollar computer now and upgrade it over the next 6 years for 600 dollars in parts. If you only need a mid-range GPU to play current games on your monitor, get the mid-to-high end one. That should last you a good two years before you feel compelled to upgrade. Once you're not performing as well as you want, get a new GPU (or go Crossfire or some upgrade in that vein). A 5870 won't last a helluva lot longer than a 5850 for gaming, and the $100 you save by getting only a 5850 will be much more useful put towards an upgrade in the future than spent right now.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:47 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If it is your opinion (and you are entitled to it), but please don't "laugh at people" and their own opinion about what a rig should be...