Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2010, 05:16 PM
Rookie

I'm not sure how effective the graphics processing with the core i's are, but I would agree with a 5770 for a budget gaming card for the WoW aspect that you'll be using it for. If you're looking to save about $40, you could switch from XFX to Powercolor if you don't have a brand preference. Granted, I don't have any experience with Powercolor so I'm just going from a conserving money perspective.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would definitely try to get a shiny new LCD monitor. Creature comforts mean a lot, especially for users. Also, I though that you should get a mainboard that can make use of the CPU integrated graphics. This dramatically increases your flexibility. If WoW or the possible future MMO run like crap then just add a new GPU; whatever you buy in six months will likely cost less.
Old February 6, 2010, 09:17 PM
MVP

A new LCD monitor is nice, but on a $1000 budget it's hard to do. I'd recommend getting one later, when you've got a spare $200 or so.
Old February 8, 2010, 12:47 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

thanks for all the advice..

I found this review for the IGP of the i3-530, and yeah it sucks, 12 fps in WoW at 1024x768.. Gonna stick with a midrange vid card that'll last a while whatever she gets into playing. I also liked XFX for their warranty. Might see what else might work, 5750 perhaps.

As for the power supply, I suppose that was my own bias sneaking in, i prefer corsair and modular. I did see an OCZ ModXStream 600W for 60$ after rebate. That looked good for the price. and modular is still a plus.

I looked at AMD options, but I wasn't as familiar with their relative performance levels. I did replace the intel with AMD, the 770 board and a X2 550 BE. With that and the cheaper P/S total came in under 800. So I may be able to squeeze a new monitor in there after all. I'd likely go with a Dell monitor when they have them on sale again, 22" for 179 or so.

Some things to consider, thanks again.
Old February 8, 2010, 03:21 PM
Top Prospect

Sooooo, are you planning on Warezing windows, and reusing the old keyboard/mouse?

I don't know, $988 seems like a lot for a system that low spec which is reusing a monitor, keyboard/mouse and a free case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daygard View Post
Well the girlfriend's been using an ancient p4 with AGP and a 17" CRT for too long, I'm looking to put together a build for her, based on bang for the buck, as well as some future proofing.

She gave me a tentative budget of $1000 in total, including shipping & taxes.

She already has a Case that was given to her by someone local, and she can use her current monitor for the time being as well. I would guess any new monitor would be 1680x1050, or perhaps 1900x1080.

She's pretty much computer illiterate, she mainly uses it for playing World of Warcraft. She watches movies on her TV with DVD player. Rest is just email, websurfing. She may play other MMO's in future. She doesn't play any other types of games that I know of.

She'd likely run at stock speeds, perhaps later on I'd pick out a proper cooler and get it overclocked for some extra oomph. The i3-530 is said to have a lot of OC room even on stock voltage. So that should be fairly safe for her.

Here are the parts I've been considering.

Core i3 530

Gigabyte P55A-UDP4

XFX Radeon 5770

Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3-1800

Corsair Pro HX650W

WD Caviar Black 640GB

Samsung DVD writer

Pricematching current prices puts this build at just under $825.40 before shipping/taxes, and 988.15 afterwards.

I think this would do quite well for a long while, and even has some upgrade room for CPU, Memory. USB3 and SATA6Gbps is also good for futureproofing.

Any critiques, suggestions, anything I missed?
Thanks.
Old February 8, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

5770 is super duper overkill. Even a 5750 is far more than she'd need. I have a 5770 and I can pretty much max out most new games. That is quite the frankenstein build, you could skimp in so many areas and cut that price in 1/2. 2GB of ram would be plenty and the power supply is so far above and beyond. Even a Corsair 450W would be plenty.
Old February 8, 2010, 04:32 PM
Rookie

PSU is overkill. She seems like someone who will keep this system for the next 5+ years. An i5 cpu wouldn't be out of line. Coupled with the 5770 she should have plenty of horsepower for her MMORPG's down the road.
Old February 8, 2010, 05:05 PM
Banned
F@H

PSU overkill

We have our own expert in PSU Overkill ,

ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO someone need a PSU more on the budget here

I already give +1 to zero answer with out even read it and only I guy (ST) is brave enough to argue with him...

Last edited by MarkOne; February 8, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old February 8, 2010, 07:18 PM
MVP

Honestly, I might recommend the 650TX, but not much lower than that. It's still more than the rig needs, but here's a secret...

It's called OVERHEAD. Who knows what'll happen within the life of this PC? Maybe they'll add a big, powerful GPU to it, maybe it'll be used for the next build or two when more power is required. Furthermore, since PSUs' maximum wattage goes down as the capacitors age, it's good to get a beefy one if you'll be using it for a long time.
Old February 8, 2010, 07:43 PM
MVP

I don't think that a PSU is never too much. It shouldn't be more than twice what you need, as a general rule, since at that point you're costing yourself efficiency (PSUs have the best efficiency at 40-60% load). However, at a certain point I'm reluctant to recommend lower wattages (and certainly not lower quality).