Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2010, 07:33 PM
Top Prospect

Question Build my PC! (Around $1000.00) Revisited.

In August of 2008 I put together a splendid machine based on your advice:

Build my PC! (Around $1000.00)

Quote:
Cooler Master 590 Case
Cooler Master Hyper TX2 CPU cooler
e8400 CPU
ASUS P5Q-E motherboard
ASUS EAH HD4850 graphics
Corsair XMS2 2x2GB DDR PC800 RAM
Corsair TX650w 650 watt PSU
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 32mb cache
ASUS DVD+-R/CD-R/RW

$980 without taxes or O/S all up.
Have things changed much since then? I think for this build I would go with an nVidia graphics adapter (there is some proprietary 3D software that doesn't seem to play well with ATI chips).

Given the ASUS/Intel/Cooler Master/Corsair composition of the build, what would the equivalent parts be today at the same price point? Would there be much difference in performance IE. has Moore's law doubled everything?
Old February 5, 2010, 08:09 PM
Banned
F@H

for the price of the e8400 at the time you can have a I5 - 750 , i will go with that. you gain 2 cores and with a small OC , you get the same clock. You will use the Cm 212+ about the same price, but he have a plate at the back of the board to hold the cooler more tight on the CPU, lowering the temp of the CPU, you will be able with the 212+ to oc the I5 at 4,00 ghz , so get 1600 memory for an easier OC if you want do so . I will switch the seagate for a WD black . For the motherboard, I will stay in the same brand with this one

Newegg.ca - ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Depending on what you do , you can see a good improvement , and some time no improvement ...
Old February 6, 2010, 10:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
for the price of the e8400 at the time you can have a I5 - 750 , i will go with that. you gain 2 cores and with a small OC , you get the same clock. You will use the Cm 212+ about the same price, but he have a plate at the back of the board to hold the cooler more tight on the CPU, lowering the temp of the CPU, you will be able with the 212+ to oc the I5 at 4,00 ghz , so get 1600 memory for an easier OC if you want do so . I will switch the seagate for a WD black . For the motherboard, I will stay in the same brand with this one

Newegg.ca - ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Depending on what you do , you can see a good improvement , and some time no improvement ...
I'm not much of an overclocker. I'd rather spend money in the sweet spot of bang for buck where I don't have to worry about heat or stability. Is the I5-750 the best chip for the money at present?
Old February 6, 2010, 10:57 AM
MVP

Yes, especially if you're going to OC. You may not want to, but, honestly, an 4GHz 750 is the "sweet spot" of bang for buck. Not to mention damn-near every 750 can reach it quite easily.
Old February 9, 2010, 05:03 PM
Top Prospect

So what ASUS motherboard is the equivalent of the P5Q-E for the I5-750 CPU? What sort of Corsair RAM do I need to add? Power supply?
Old February 9, 2010, 05:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Any type of DDR3 will do. This would be good if you'd prefer Corsair NCIX.com - Buy Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Core i5 Dual Channel Memory Kit - CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 In Canada.

That Corsair TX650 PSU is perfectly fine, no need to upgrade. Unless you want to run a couple GTX285's, that'll probably last anther couple builds.

An equivalent ASUS board would be the P7P55D NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P7P55D LE LGA1156 P55 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI CrossFire GBLAN 6SATA IDE Motherboard - P7P55D LE In Canada.
Old February 9, 2010, 05:37 PM
Banned
F@H

[quote=philthygeezer;331380] Hunt suggest you a good single GPU board

If you plan to add a second ATI Gpu this is the one for it

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131405

Last edited by MarkOne; February 9, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old February 11, 2010, 12:57 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

This is my system:
Cooler Master 690 Case
Watercooled
Q9550 (currently @ 3.75ghz) CPU
ASUS P5Q-E motherboard
Sapphire Vapor-X HD4890 graphics
Mushkin 2x2GB DDR PC1066 RAM
TT Toughpower 650w Qfan PSU
2x Seagate Barracuda 250GB (single platters) in Raid 0
ASUS DVD+-R/CD-R/RW

That's basically your setup, but with a better CPU/GPU. If you offered me that much money I'd sell it right now. $1000 for that setup is a little high! (but seriously if you're interested, PM me)
Old February 11, 2010, 01:57 PM
MVP

No offense, but I understood the OP to be looking to get now's equivalent of what he bought then. That means i5 and 5xxx or Fermi. Not to mention DDR3 at the very least.

As for the equivalent board, I'd say the P7P55D Pro is the closest you can get for i5. It's a really solid board. Should take your 750 to 4.0+ easy.

Here's what I'd buy right now personally;
P7P55D Pro
i5 750
5770 (MSI's HAWK version is the best, and I like MSI in general, but other companies are fine. That said, I don't typically recommend XFX's ATI cards)
G.Skill Ripjaws or Eco RAM (4GB, 1600MHz recommended, but don't spend an arm and a leg since it makes little real-world difference in performance)
CM Hyper 212 Plus (great cooler for low price, it'll come in handy if you want to OC, and I highly recommend you do since it's a big boost for free)
You can get a new case if you want, probably in the realm of $80-120, but for the moment we'll assume you won't.
Together this will cost you $700-750 which is under budget. Some things are missing (case, PSU, etc) but your current ones are perfectly suitable for the moment, and unless you're maxing out your HDD space there's nothing in there that you should really feel compelled to get a new one of.

Now, you're left with about $250-300. You can pocket this, which I would do, but it's also money that could be used in the future for upgrades. Here's how I'd upgrade in the future:

Adding in a second 5770 when you feel it starting to get slow. It's a great little card, but there's something even greater about it; Crossfire. The scaling is off the charts (I've seen benchmarks showing ~ 105% scaling when adding a second). If you feel compelled to get a dedicated PhysX card, then run old or hacked Nvidia drivers for compatibility, your motherboard will support that.

It's hard to see where exactly 1156 will go in terms of CPUs, but based on what comes out in a couple of years you'll see where you can upgrade.

Case: If you do decide you want another case, right now some of the best options include: 690 II, Storm Scout, Storm Sniper, HAF 932, HAF 922, K62, Lexa S, Tempest EVO, Panzerbox, ATCS 840, Hades, etc. These will run you anywhere between $80-200, but again, the case you have is at the very least suitable.
Old February 11, 2010, 02:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthygeezer View Post

Given the ASUS/Intel/Cooler Master/Corsair composition of the build, what would the equivalent parts be today at the same price point? Would there be much difference in performance IE. has Moore's law doubled everything?
It really depends what you're doing. If you're doing it purely for benchmarking, you'll see one hell of an increase.

If gaming, depends on your resolution. If 1920x1080 or above, again, you'll a fair difference. 1680x1050, marginal gains, but probably still noticeable.

Surfing the internet, word documents, emails, you probably won't notice much of a difference at all.

For Folding at Home, I have no idea, I'm sure someone else can chime in.

Unless you're noticing some specific slowdowns in your machine (feel free to elaborate on these) these isn't much of a need to upgrade. But if you have money to burn, and an itch to upgrade, go ahead. Building a PC is fun.