Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yep Corsair Dominators are too expensive. Go G.Skill for sure.
Old February 6, 2010, 04:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILITANT View Post
If i can help here ! I would suggest you change the following ..... Your operating system is costing you double, for what? Buy home premium for 130 ! Next why buy the I7 930 ? this is gonna cost you how much? Buy the 920 and overclock it to a 950 spec.. now your 5850 is a dumb purchase you can buy the 5870 for the same price if not 20 dollars more ! Dont buy the 5850 go 5870, or better yet the money that you have saved on your processor and your op system can be put into the 5970! bam ... and the Ram.... I personaly would suggest the corsair dominators .. the money you are looking at spending can be reallocated in a better fashion to provide you with a much more powerfull finished build! I suggest looking at several versions of this build until you find the one that suits your tastes the best! Dont get me wrong i am all about putting the money up for the better hardware but you cant go half way high end you gotta go smart high end! Your motherboard i own it and love it also the TRUE only gets good reviews but you might wanna try the corsair H50 i think they call it a closed loop cpu water cooler! no experience needed.
When we critque builds here, using phrases like that don't win you friends. This is the second time I've seen this from you in your two posts.

No more warnings.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 6, 2010, 05:10 PM
Banned
F@H

i will just a small comment here.... on a $ 2000 build :
find the place for a SSD ..we have few tread in the drive section to help you to choose one, and AkG is always happy to help for it..
Old February 6, 2010, 05:44 PM
MVP

My feelings of SSDs:
Whipped cream on top of a good rig. They certainly make a computer feel faster (a lot faster) but they don't improve actual performance. It's not worth sacrificing quality of core components to add an SSD. Not to mention they're very easy to add after the fact; just buy one, hook it up, set it as the boot device, install the OS, boom.
Old February 6, 2010, 05:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
My feelings of SSDs:
Whipped cream on top of a good rig. They certainly make a computer feel faster (a lot faster) but they don't improve actual performance. It's not worth sacrificing quality of core components to add an SSD. Not to mention they're very easy to add after the fact; just buy one, hook it up, set it as the boot device, install the OS, boom.
Sure they do, as I am sure AkG our Resident SSD expert will say the general performance with the right SSD will make a major Improvement on your system as a whole.

Might not win you more 3Dmark score but VS a traditional Platter Drive it is worth it for Higher End Builds.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 6, 2010, 05:50 PM
MVP

What I'm saying is an SSD won't make your games run better, help decode videos, etc.
Old February 6, 2010, 06:09 PM
Rookie

Hmm, I sort of agree with Raserei408 in that an SSD for me right now is more like icing on the cake. I would love one, but I don't think I'm quite ready to make the jump and get one yet. As for the ram, I think I will settle for the G.skills for the price / performance ratio . I'll browse around for that Zalman Flex too, thanks Raserei408!

I havn't had much experience from other video card vendors since I've been on the XFX wagon for quite a while, so who would you recommend between Sapphire, Diamond, and Powercolor if I'm going for the 5850?

Also, I guess the last thing I'm really sitting on the fence is either the UD5 or EVGA X58 mobo. When it comes down to that, is it just a brand / software preference since they both seem excellent.
Old February 6, 2010, 06:29 PM
MVP

Honestly for the most part video card vendors don't make a big difference. I usually just say go with whatever's cheapest (unless a third-party cooler is involved). If I had to choose a brand ATM for ATI 5xxx cards I'd probably say MSI.
Old February 6, 2010, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

And if you plan on getting just one hard drive the larger SSDs are more expensive. Can't go wrong with your original choice. Pretty fast and tons of room.
Old February 6, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Honestly for the most part video card vendors don't make a big difference. I usually just say go with whatever's cheapest (unless a third-party cooler is involved). If I had to choose a brand ATM for ATI 5xxx cards I'd probably say MSI.
Warranty, warranty, warranty.