Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Budget build. Epmphasis on budget. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/28601-budget-build-epmphasis-budget.html)

Miek February 4, 2010 07:40 PM

Budget build. Epmphasis on budget.

I have about $1000.00 to spend on a PC.

Problem: I have a good idea of things I want (i5 based system, GT240 until Fermi, could become dedicated PhysX card or I'd give it to my brother for his new PC he'll be getting some time), but other than that... I have NO idea where to start.

Various preferences...
- Bottom mounted PSU, good airflow in a case. Room for cable management.
- P55 Board (kind of obviously)
- If you can make decent AMD build for less, GO FOR IT. :P I'm trying to have as low of a cost as possible.
- I'd like a PSU that'll meet Fermi's power requirements.

As stated, I was wanting to do an i5 build, but I would gladly use AMD as well. It was just that the P55 supported C'Fire and SLI. :P

Thanks it advance!

Raserei408 February 4, 2010 08:07 PM

This build should fit your budget:
i5 750
P7P55D Pro
GT 240 1GB (DDR5) (I only recommend this if you plan to carry it over for dedicated PhysX, as there are cheaper Nvidia cards that perform better, but for some reason it eats PhysX for breakfast. If you give it to your brother, get a 9800 GT instead.)
4GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM (1333MHz or above, your choice really)
WD Caviar Black 640GB
Hyper 212 Plus
750TX
DVD player of your choice
Case of your choice (for sake of build I put a K62, but anything you like in the $80-120 price range is great as well, as long as it's well-built and has good cooling)

As for an AMD build, you could probably shave off around $75 if you went with AMD, but I could only recommend that if you planned to go with ATI's cards, since there aren't enough good AMD boards supporting SLI. Besides, it would end up being weaker (though still good enough) in the CPU area.

Miek February 4, 2010 08:30 PM

Awesome, thanks. Is it possible to use a modular PSU for cable management reasons while still fitting my budget? And I'm not sure that I'll need 750 watts, even with Fermi. But if it fits the budget and is a good PSU... Why not. :P

Hacksaw907 February 4, 2010 09:11 PM

Pick any modular PSU out there, and you will still be fine in your budget. I just put together Raserei's recommended build on NCIX for you, and you will be able to fit any modular PSU you can find in it comfortably. Some recommendations would be the Silverstone Strider Plus series, Corsair's HX series, and Enermax's Revolution85+ series of power supplies.

Raserei408 February 4, 2010 09:12 PM

You could go with a modular one, but all the modular ones I know of that would fit your budget aren't great quality (poor voltage control and ripple and such). Really, a non-modular PSU isn't that difficult to get good cable management with as long as you're willing to put some time into it and your case's cable management isn't piss-poor (hell, I've got an Antec 900 (Rev 2) and my cable management is decent with a non-modular PSU, so clearly it's possible, right?).

As for not needing the wattage, you won't if you don't go SLI with Fermi. If you do, well, honestly it's a bit hard to tell. Rumors of very high power consumption have been going around despite the 40nm process. Guess we'll have to see, but probably best to plan for the worst.

Miek February 4, 2010 09:40 PM

OK. I was thinking of using Newegg to get parts, however.

Raserei408 February 4, 2010 09:46 PM

Where I had been looking too (though not all the parts were actually available, so...) A combination of NCIX and Newegg I think would work well.