Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2010, 01:43 PM
Top Prospect

Thumbs up Gaming Rig

Can someone offer a little assistance?
My buddy would like to build a new pc for gaming and with possibly 3 lcds.
I haven't kept up with anything since building my core2 rig so I am totally lost.
He would like a pretty high end pc with a budget of around $3,000.
Doesn't need water cooling or anything. Just wants it stock but ready to take on any game he plays and with 3 screens like I mentioned earlier.
If I'm leaving anything out, please let me know.

Thanks guys!

Sorry I just read the sticky.

I run throught the questions for my friend to the best of my knowledge.
  1. Playing games and surfing the web
  2. Looking at a $3,000 budget (not set in stone)
  3. Buying all parts from Canada (Toronto)
  4. Prefer Intel and the rest doesn't matter
  5. Plan to start from scratch
  6. Have not searched other threads but plan to do that now
  7. No plans to OC just stock
  8. No set timeline, with the next month or so would be preferable
  9. Resolution I am not too sure what he would use
So I just did some reading. It looks like eyefinity is the way to go. Can someone help me build a rig around that for him?

Last edited by bigdee; February 4, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old February 4, 2010, 03:00 PM
MVP

Does the 3000 dollars include the LCDs? If he's really serious, I'd suggest getting 3 x LP2475Ws, but it'll be expensive. If he's willing to settle for 3 x 22" monitors, go for the 2209WAs, they're cheap (for IPS panels) and the quality is up there. However, the graphics requirement will be a bit different for that setup (probably Xfire 5850s instead of Xfire 5870s).
Old February 4, 2010, 03:28 PM
Banned
F@H

Just a short answer here... you friend want 3 display... tell him to wait ..... don't spend on eyefinity before Nvidia show the card.. buy what ever cheap card you can dispose after if he need the rigs right away. I don't say Nvidia 3D will be better, we don't know. I said wait to not regret it. if you want info on eyefinity we have members here that use it. CMetaphor have one , he was even a pioneer, with is Matrox 3head something.. ( a Pioneer.... that make him less younger ) and I think it's SLYMTL who have 3 * 30 " in eyefinity ...and an other one that I forget the name.
Old February 4, 2010, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your friend should seriously think of buying his parts from NCIX or DC. For the budget he has for buying parts+taxes here in Toronto, he can easily save a few hundred bucks or more by price matching and purchasing from the two stores I mentioned. DC has free shipping on orders over $300 and no provincial sales tax and NCIX has price matching and no provincial sales tax.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old February 4, 2010, 09:38 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the input guys.
The budget is flexible.
He doesn't need high end lcds though.
As long as they can all run.
I'll be purchasing the parts for him. NCIX or DC is where I plan to buy the parts.
I just need an idea on what the rig should be.
I know nvdia is coming out with their 3D but any idea on when they plan on releasing it?
Old February 4, 2010, 10:08 PM
MVP

Well, Nvidia hasn't released a launch date, but it's speculated to come out between April and June (at least, that's my hypothesis, not exactly sure what everyone else is saying).

That said, it's unlikely they'll be able to play across multiple LCDs
Old February 4, 2010, 10:12 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Well, Nvidia hasn't released a launch date, but it's speculated to come out between April and June (at least, that's my hypothesis, not exactly sure what everyone else is saying).
you have guy here who know about it... but they will not tell it...
Old February 5, 2010, 01:43 PM
Top Prospect

I did some reading and I really like the 5870 for the price point. I think it's more than enough for his gaming needs and assuming he still wants to try eyefinity. He's not sure if he can get over the black bars and contemplating on buying a large tv lcd. I was really hoping to try out the eyefinity at his expense!
Old February 5, 2010, 01:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

can we say quad SLI :-P lmao.. that would be awesome.. i don't see much of a point in multiple displays
Old February 5, 2010, 01:57 PM
MVP

Then you've clearly never used a multi-display setup. The extra workspace is incredible. As for multi-monitor gaming, well, if you've got the graphical horsepower there's nothing like having a massive, uber-high res screen in front of you.