Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2010, 02:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

can you hook up 3 lcd tv's with a eyefinity setup?

spend 2400$ on 3 widescreen tv's and the rest on a budget gamer rig, hehe just kidding

i can only imagine what 3 screens would be like let alone 3 massive ones
Old February 5, 2010, 02:11 PM
Top Prospect

lol no, he doesn't want to over do it. He does have a big budget but doesn't plan on wasting it either.
I personally think I wouldn't mind the bezels. Would be nice if I had the $$ to spend on a multi screen setup.
Old February 5, 2010, 03:07 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblazzwa View Post
can you hook up 3 lcd tv's with a eyefinity setup?

spend 2400$ on 3 widescreen tv's and the rest on a budget gamer rig, hehe just kidding

i can only imagine what 3 screens would be like let alone 3 massive ones
Yeah, imagine making yourself a 48:9, 100" gaming screen. I'm a pacifist but I'd kill a man for that setup.
Old February 11, 2010, 02:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Something along these lines:

i7 920 (try and get a D0, NCIX will probably charge you more for it. check the egg)
ASUS P6X58D Motherboard (has USB 3.0 ports :) )
XFX 5870
HAF932 Fulltower case (best quality for the $$ imo)
Corsair / Toughpower Thermaltake 850W PSU (incase he decides on two 5870s)
60GB OCZ vertex SSD (for OS)
1tb WD Caviar Black (for data, non-crucial programs)

any DDR3 really, just some brand name. I prefer Gskill / Patriot/ Corsair, but there's tons.

get some decent cooling on that 920, maybe a Thermalright Ultra or soemthing along those lines. If you get a D0 revision, you should expect 4ghz OC's.

Anything else is up to you
Old February 11, 2010, 02:33 PM
MVP

I'd amend that slightly, but overall it's good. Changes I'd make:
No XFX ATI cards. Poor quality and lower OCing than most (I like MSI personally). It's got a great warranty, but that's all it has going for it.
The HAF 932 is great if you like the looks. It's worth noting, however, that a lot of people dislike it, and the most important thing above all else in a case, IMO, is liking the looks.
Not even a contest; Corsair 850HX.
I'd swap to a Spinpoint F3; it's faster and often cheaper, though the warranty is shorter and RMA service isn't as good in Canada. That said, I'd almost certainly be replacing the HDD in the next 3 years, so the warranty isn't a big issue for me. Can't speak for anyone else.
Lastly, I'd go for a Hyper 212 Plus for sure. Wouldn't change that out unless I was getting at least a Titan Fenrir.
Old February 11, 2010, 03:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
No XFX ATI cards. Poor quality and lower OCing than most (I like MSI personally). It's got a great warranty, but that's all it has going for it.
Hey Raser....you repeat this statement over n over, please Post up some OC'ing Bench results....what part of the GPU is in fact "poor quality"...I'm curious as I've always associated XFX with just the opposite.

I was actually checking this "Overclockers Club" Review of the XFX 5850....looks very good to me. Looks to be about the same OC'ing results as Sapphire. In fact the OC version blazes ahead of the GTX 295 in some runs...impressive really.
XFX HD 5850 Review - Overclockers Club

Last edited by rjbarker; February 11, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:44 PM
MVP

For the record, XFX's PCB is "NEW"

Warning XFX 5770 (Now only using XFX's custom PCB) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Old February 11, 2010, 05:30 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
That is just dumb.....

I, like you... will not buy XFX products. It's mainly from past, but I hold grudges when there are so many other options anyways.
Powercolor 5870
Velociraptor 150
Seagate LP 2TB
Corsair AX750
Silverstone FT01B-W (HWC review case)

HEATWARE 45-0-0

My Cannondale <3
Old February 11, 2010, 07:53 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
I'd amend that slightly, but overall it's good. Changes I'd make:
The HAF 932 is great if you like the looks. It's worth noting, however, that a lot of people dislike it, and the most important thing above all else in a case, IMO, is liking the looks.
Not even a contest; Corsair 850HX.
I'd swap to a Spinpoint F3; it's faster and often cheaper, though the warranty is shorter and RMA service isn't as good in Canada. That said, I'd almost certainly be replacing the HDD in the next 3 years, so the warranty isn't a big issue for me. Can't speak for anyone else.
Lastly, I'd go for a Hyper 212 Plus for sure. Wouldn't change that out unless I was getting at least a Titan Fenrir.
Firstly, XFX made by far, the best 4890s, on the forums over at overclockers.com the top OCing results were all XFX based. They're a fantastic company. If anything, MSI would be my last preference as far as ATi goes. Probably something along the lines of XFX, Sapphire, visiontek and then everything else. Anyway, before you throw the "just buy a corsaird PSU" check out some reviews. The corsairs are good, no doubt about it, but there are other PSU companies (even one's that are normally terrible, i.e thermaltake) that really put out a good line of power supplies over the past couple of years. This is the PSU site I trust most, the author is also at OCF, I even bought my PSU from him that was a review sample: JonnyGURU.com - Enermax Modu87+ 700W Review

Lastly for the case, it's to each his own. I just mentioned the HAF since it's one of the largest for it's price tag coupled with good build quality. But yes, it all depends what you find more aesthetically pleasing. It's rare these days to find any real cooling differences between case designs.
Old February 11, 2010, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You did nothing but Post a link to a "bitch thread" over at OC'ers....you know how many of those same "bitch threads" I've read at Evga?....or Asus?
Please, I'm not going to pour through 9 pages of "kids" bickering about no more Tri Fire.....was hoping you would simply summarize the real concerns you seem to know about, as you stated " poor quality" n "poor OC'ing"...please elaborate.
Thanks