Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2010, 10:45 PM
Top Prospect

Default Mini-ITX LAN/download box

1. What your PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
LAN gaming, downloading stuff.

2. What your budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
Around $300, I budget $100 for mobo, $100 for case and psu and $100 for the gpu.

3. What country you will be buying your parts from.
Canada

4. If you have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
Don't care, ATI gpu though.

5. If you intend on using any of you current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Hard drive and ram.

7. If you plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
I've heard that overclocking an atom can lower its temps... weird.

8. When do you plan to build it?
Before March 20th

I need a rig for a LAN party on the 20th or March. My plan so far is to get this case and a 5670 or lower ATI gpu if one comes out before the 20th. This case comes with a PSU, I have the ram and hard drive already.

My problem is the motherboard. I want really low idle power consumption, so atom is the way to go. Does this have the balls to be a decent gaming cpu though? I'm thinking the 330, or the D510. It doesn't have to be amazingly good, but good enough that I won't get pissed off waiting for a virus scan to finish or some window to open.

I want to play left for dead 2 at a nice looking level, so I suppose that's up to the GPU. The atom board would have to have a PCI-E x16 slot though, which already puts it at $180+.

Alternatively I could get a LGA775 or AM2 ITX mobo and put a chip in it. This is my biggest dilemma right now, the mobo and cpu. Any recommendations? And I'd like to keep this around $120 or so if possible. Maybe I'll just have to hurry up and wait for something on the D510 platform to come out.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...ufacture=Zotac
Personally, I would use that. ^^^

An Atom does not have the balls to game, it has no balls whatsoever.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:59 AM
Top Prospect

I would, but that means a CPU and cooler. Well how much higher would power consumption be? Say one of those with the most efficient LGA775 CPU vs. a similar board with a dual core atom?
Old February 3, 2010, 01:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not sure about power usage, but an atom excludes gaming.
While not the best, a 775 or AM2/3 CPU would come with a heatsink.
Perhaps the BST section here might help with something?
Old February 3, 2010, 01:14 AM
Top Prospect

Hmm sounds like a plan. Instead of that expensive case I'll make my own out of aluminum and stick this psu in it. Should be able to handle a small gpu and cpu. This case will be about the dimensions of the itx board but in a cube. No optical drive, 2.5in hdd, 1 140mm fan.
Old February 3, 2010, 03:48 AM
Banned
F@H

I'm looking to build a small portable mini-Itx Monster..with a ep55 and a i5-750. but for now new egg don't have the zotac board I need for it. or it will be a micro atx in a case like the Thermaltake lanbox wit the handle on the Top.
Old February 3, 2010, 05:09 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I built for my Wife a mini-Itx with an Intel board, E8400, a 2.5" laptop HDD, 4Gb and the http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...r%20Technology. Tight case, but with a fan slapped on the side it works great.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect

Is an atom really going to kill games? I mean the Ion platform can kinda play stuff.

It's possible to use a PCI-E16 card on a PCI-E1 slot isn't it? I know they don't fit, but if you cut the slot at the back then would it work?
Old February 3, 2010, 01:01 PM
MVP

Yes, the Ion platform can kind of play stuff, but it's dramatically CPU-limited. Adding a 5670 to it won't get you any better results. You'll need a real CPU to run any games decently.
Old February 3, 2010, 01:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovok View Post
Is an atom really going to kill games? I mean the Ion platform can kinda play stuff.

It's possible to use a PCI-E16 card on a PCI-E1 slot isn't it? I know they don't fit, but if you cut the slot at the back then would it work?
Yes. Definitely go with an LGA775 or 1156 mini-itx board and forget about the atom for gaming!

I just built an atom-ion based HTPC, and even with 4gb of ram, Windows 7 and an SSD, it feels slowish...