Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2010, 10:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Bad choice due to the PSU.
I don't understand what's so bad about it. I have one running two 9800GT's, an overclocked e4500, and two sticks of ddr2 ram for about a year now, and it's still going strong.

In any case, the TC can substitute that combo with the HDD on its own and the Antec Earthwatts 650w power supply. Unless I'm missing something about that power supply, too That would bring your total up to 695.93/706.03 with shipping.
Old February 3, 2010, 10:12 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw907 View Post
I don't understand what's so bad about it. I have one running two 9800GT's, an overclocked e4500, and two sticks of ddr2 ram for about a year now, and it's still going strong.

In any case, the TC can substitute that combo with the HDD on its own and the Antec Earthwatts 650w power supply. Unless I'm missing something about that power supply, too That would bring your total up to 695.93/706.03 with shipping.
The Earthwatts is a better-quality PSU hands down. Here is a review of that OCZ PSU's big brother to give you an idea of why it's not a good unit: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w - OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro Power Supply | [H]ard|OCP
Old February 4, 2010, 04:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw907 View Post
Let me have a crack at it:

Sony Optiarc DVD Drive
ASRock M3A785GXH/128M Motherboard
XFX HD 4890 Video Card
Samsung F3 500GB HDD w/ OCZ ModXStream 600w PSU
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 RAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor

Total: 670.93, 685.38 to postal code '32965'

Now, I know you said you have a preference for nVidia, but I assure you that the 4890 is a more powerful card than the GTX 260 (the only nVidia card at the same price point). If you are sure that you still wish to trade that performance over a brand preference, then just replace the video card with the Palit GTX 260.
ok.. i know the graphics i want.. i want the 5770 as suggested by a member here.. it seems to be pretty awesome from the reviews i see... and i got a great deal on one.. i like the Earthwatts cause its still cheap and has the reliability.. i have a great WD HD picked out.. i like the ripjaws ... i have never heard of ASrock.. ill stick with the ASUS board.. i have seen alot of pros and cons from alot of people.. but i want a really good stable OC and i don't want any power button issues.. and i hear the 790X boards had power button issues.. i just want to make sure i don't have any.. only reason i didn't just go with the 790X immediately.. if people don't see issues with the 790X then i wanna go for it even if its a bit over budget.. cause i don't wanna skimp on the motherboard.. did it once and it hurt me bad

the list ATM:

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - DIAMOND 5770PE51GT Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Old February 5, 2010, 01:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
ok.. i know the graphics i want.. i want the 5770 as suggested by a member here.. it seems to be pretty awesome from the reviews i see... and i got a great deal on one.. i like the Earthwatts cause its still cheap and has the reliability.. i have a great WD HD picked out.. i like the ripjaws ... i have never heard of ASrock.. ill stick with the ASUS board.. i have seen alot of pros and cons from alot of people.. but i want a really good stable OC and i don't want any power button issues.. and i hear the 790X boards had power button issues.. i just want to make sure i don't have any.. only reason i didn't just go with the 790X immediately.. if people don't see issues with the 790X then i wanna go for it even if its a bit over budget.. cause i don't wanna skimp on the motherboard.. did it once and it hurt me bad

the list ATM:

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - DIAMOND 5770PE51GT Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

im not getting a new GPU.. im using an old 3870 X2... now i need to know if it will fit in this case:

Newegg.com - SIGMA BLITZ BLITZ-WB Black 0.8mm STEEL SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Old February 5, 2010, 02:01 PM
MVP

I'd definitely swap out to a different case. There are better-quality (and better looking) ones at that price point. Might look into the Storm Scout or Lexa S (690 II when it comes out).
Old February 5, 2010, 02:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
I'd definitely swap out to a different case. There are better-quality (and better looking) ones at that price point. Might look into the Storm Scout or Lexa S (690 II when it comes out).
i picked the one i did cause of size and appearance.. i love the cable management in the other two but i also think they are kinda ugly (no offense to anyone) the storm scout is pretty good but the one i chose is a bit longer and has blue LEDS... LEDs don't matter too much but blue is better.. and longer case with good cable management is a must

i personally think this is a pretty good case too:

Newegg.com - APEVIA X-Plorer ATXB8KLW-BL Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Old February 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i think this case would be amazing.. IDK what you guys think about it
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Old February 5, 2010, 02:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
This I will agree with. The Scout and Lexa S I own, and love. Very solid cases, good cooling Options and nice cable management.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 5, 2010, 02:45 PM
MVP

OH GAWD NO!

I actually have the case and, while the airflow is good, everything about it sucks. It was a great case 3 years ago before every other company adopted its best features. Now it should be resigned to nostalgia. If you like that case, though, you might consider the Tempest EVO. It's similar in design and appearance, but it mitigates several of the 900's glaring flaws (though I still don't like the HDD cages, but what are you going to do?)

You could also look at the K62, though it may be a bit pricey for your budget. Then again, with shipping, the first one you mentioned was $100, so...
Old February 5, 2010, 02:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

One of the glaring problems with the Antec 900 is that it is missing good cable management, along with a few newly-released case features that make PC building much easier and neater. I would suggest you look into any of the following:

CM 690 II Advanced
HAF 922
Lian Li Lancool PC-K62
NZXT Hades

They are all within the same price range, and much better compared to the Antec 900.