Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2010, 05:46 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
i think my budget dictates the $84 MB...
don't understand MB
Old February 3, 2010, 05:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
don't understand MB
Motherboard.. MB is short for Motherboard.. sorry.. i shorten things cause my hands hurt from typing and writing all day.. but im going with the slightly cheaper one.. yea its not Xfire capable but im never going with dual GPUS.... too expensive
Old February 3, 2010, 05:53 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
Motherboard.. MB is short for Motherboard.. sorry.. i shorten things cause my hands hurt from typing and writing all day.. but im going with the slightly cheaper one.. yea its not Xfire capable but im never going with dual GPUS.... too expensive

I call them MTB... so MTB-001 , MTB-002 ...and so in my inventory system.. of course I should no but we was talking about HD..
Old February 3, 2010, 06:11 PM
MVP

Go with the M4A79XTD. It's a generally better board, and if you ever decide to go Crossfire you'll regret the 785G board. I think 790X tends to OC better than 785G, though I doubt the difference would be highly significant.

Also, swap out the Antec PSU for a Corsair one (or PC Power and Cooling).
Old February 3, 2010, 06:19 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Go with the M4A79XTD..
I will go with this one too. I don't like to see a onboard GPu on a gaming rig .

but I have a small concern, the space betwen the 2 slot look fair large, is the regular Xfire bridge include with the GPI is long enough for it. ?
Old February 3, 2010, 06:37 PM
MVP

Having onboard graphics isn't much of a concern of mine (at the least it allows a backup in case a video card fails or something) but the chipset and resulting PCI-E lane separation concerns me. Fact of the matter is it's not a great gaming chipset. It's alright, but by no means great like the 790X (which is basically the premier chipset, just with fewer PCI-E lanes).
Old February 3, 2010, 06:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Having onboard graphics isn't much of a concern of mine (at the least it allows a backup in case a video card fails or something) but the chipset and resulting PCI-E lane separation concerns me. Fact of the matter is it's not a great gaming chipset. It's alright, but by no means great like the 790X (which is basically the premier chipset, just with fewer PCI-E lanes).
I disagree. I own Two 785G Chipset EVO's and they are very good Boards.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 3, 2010, 06:53 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I disagree. I own Two 785G Chipset EVO's and they are very good Boards.

ST
They look very similar build , aside of the on board GPU .... do you think the XTD EVO can be a bad choice,, I'm thinking about me here too.

what about my concern with the bridge length ?
Old February 3, 2010, 09:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Let me have a crack at it:

Sony Optiarc DVD Drive
ASRock M3A785GXH/128M Motherboard
XFX HD 4890 Video Card
Samsung F3 500GB HDD w/ OCZ ModXStream 600w PSU
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 RAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor

Total: 670.93, 685.38 to postal code '32965'

Now, I know you said you have a preference for nVidia, but I assure you that the 4890 is a more powerful card than the GTX 260 (the only nVidia card at the same price point). If you are sure that you still wish to trade that performance over a brand preference, then just replace the video card with the Palit GTX 260.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
One Day I'll multi-quote to get this all done right. Lets not Drag the poor OP all the way off topic. I do tend to disagree with a lot of what you have stated here for fact? But I'd rather you and I have this discussion elsewhere than crap all over this thread. Fair enough?

ST
If you disagree with what I said in that post, then go ahead and make a thread with your thoughts and I'll do my best to clarify.
Quote:
Also, swap out the Antec PSU for a Corsair one (or PC Power and Cooling).
And why do you say that exactly? The Earthwatts 650W is a very good PSU. Corsair and PCP&C do sell better-performing units, but not without a price premium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw907 View Post
Bad choice due to the PSU.