Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2010, 10:14 AM
Rookie

Default First build, i5-750, all help appreciated

Hi, I'm looking for help with my first rig. Its going to be a i5-750 based system and while I pretty much have the components figured out, I'm still unsure of what to get for a motherboard. I've got a few things narrowed down, but I would really like some assistance in making the final pick. I would also like to keep it close to $1000 if possible, though I don't mid going a bit over. I will, of course, gladly take any suggestions to modify my list below.

Core i5-750 $210
mobo??????????
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB $95
Sapphire HD 5770 $180
WD CaviarBlack 640GB $70
Corsair 650W $90 (with a deal)
CM Hyper 212+ $30
Lancool PC-K62/ Tempest EVO $120

Running Total: $795 (though I could probably find cheaper if I looked)

I'm also stuck between cases, but I'll probably figure that one out eventually.

(I should probably add that at this point, I don't see myself running SLI or CrossFire any time in the near future, and I probably won't end up going for any more then two-way.)

The motherboard is the only part I'm not really sure about. First of all, is it worth it to go for SATA 6GB/s/ USB 3.0 right now? I know at this point hard drives can't really take advantage of SATA 6, but USB 3.0 seems like it would be useful in the near future (it would also save me an upgrade if I went that route). Under that I've been looking at the MSI-GD85 as it has a chip on it that allows it to run SATA 6 and USB 3.0 without the usual drop on the video card side that I've read boards experience. I've also been looking at the Gigabyte P55A. Though anything else you may have is always welcome.

If the SATA 6GB/s/ USB 3.0 route is not the way to go, then I've got it narrowed down between the MSI-GD85's younger brother, the MSI-GD80, the ASUS P7P55D Deluxe and possibly the EVGA P55 FTW (though I've heard the manual leaves much to be desired). Once again, anything you've got, I'll take.

I hope I didn't ramble too much and scare people off and I look forward to your suggestions.
Old February 2, 2010, 10:28 AM
Banned
F@H

take a look at that board board, you don't need the sata 3 and USB 3, or at least if you need one day they will have card available

Newegg.ca - ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

and go with the lancool..it's far better quality , you will use no tool at all , even for the PSu, and the corsair fit well in it , ( I means the cable length ) it's what I have
Old February 2, 2010, 11:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

^I shall second the ASUS P7P55D mobo. That series of board is very nice!
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old February 2, 2010, 11:43 AM
MVP

There's really nothing I would change to that rig besides a couple of general upgrades (since you've got a slightly flexible budget). If you can get a Caviar Black or Spinpoint F3 they would be welcome upgrades, and if you can get the TX750 (assuming that's a TX650 not an HX650) that would give you a couple extra PCI-E connectors for future GPU upgrades. Both the cases you chose are very good (along with the 690 II Advanced, Storm Scout, Lexa S, etc.). Also, the ASUS boards are very good (as are the Gigabyte ones). MSI ones in that price range tend to not OC as well, so I'd avoid them.
Old February 2, 2010, 11:50 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
....If you can get a Caviar Black or Spinpoint F3 they would be welcome upgrades, ..
He already get a carviar on the list.... and for your Samsong drive, I was not enough clear last time.. warranty only for 3 years if you can even RMA them. so much an hassle . look at the RMA of WDC.com very simple to use... they even send you one in advance RMA. they will not charge anything unless you don't return the defective one in the convenient box they send the replacement

Why insist on inferior service

WDC sell only HD... and they stand on their Customer Service. they even exchange me HD with broken sata connectors..no one else will have do that. I'm may be old style ..but I like to support company that stand on their products.

Last edited by MarkOne; February 2, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old February 2, 2010, 02:23 PM
MVP

Sorry I wasn't specific, I re-wrote it and must have fogotten to specify 1TB drives.

As for the Caviar Black vs F3 debate, the only reason I listed the Caviar as an option was the warranty and RMA. On the other hand I'm listing F3s because, well, THEY'RE FASTER!
Old February 2, 2010, 02:36 PM
Rookie

No need to start up the F3 vs. CB war guys

Regarding the case, I'm considering the Tempest EVO mostly because I eventually want to sub out the fans for different coloured ones and in all my Google searching I have been unable to find 140mm LED fans of the right colour (purple, because its unique and works well with black), I have found plenty of 120mm versions though (which the EVO uses). I also realize I would need to solder new LEDs along the EVO's sides, but I have some Engineer friends who could do that. In the end, it'll depend on how lazy I am.

Regarding the motherboard, yes, I'll probably go with the Asus one, its cheaper and very functional, thanks!

So thank you to everyone who posted, I'll (hopefully) get this thing built soon
Old February 2, 2010, 04:08 PM
MVP

Well, of course you could always drill your own fan holes in the K62.
Old February 2, 2010, 04:13 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by µCephei View Post
No need to start up the F3 vs. CB war guys
I will argue on that..... I say what i have to say I trust the judgment of the peoples to know what is best for them after the get all the facts...
Old February 2, 2010, 04:19 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
.... On the other hand I'm listing F3s because, well, THEY'RE FASTER!
sorry to tell you but if you want the fastest drive ,,, well you don't go with a drive ...you go with a SSD... don't even know why they call it a drive..

Now since the F3 and the black are not fast drive ( compare to ssd ) I use the Black only for the storage.

And I will like to see in real practice if the F3 is really faster. But I will not lost my time to try it... SSD all the way. If it was not from the folding sickness, I will even put a 250 gb SSD for my games, aside of my 80 gb OS dedicated one... and SSD in all my PC... and I have quite a few