Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2010, 06:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
what is all about those d**k move are you all gay... why I don't give good suggestion
Are ducks so offensive in Canada? (j/k)
Old February 3, 2010, 06:44 AM
Banned
F@H

I feed duck every day in summer , and yes they fight all the time ...... .... but keep in mind I'm french canadian, some english expression sound funny in my ear.. don't know but I move the duck only on front of woman. I will prefer MarkOne you a real pain in the a.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:49 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by µCephei View Post
If you want to debate this, start another thread or have a PM war but stop hijacking this thread
Apologies µCephei, not all of us are eager to hijack threads in this manner.

Back OT: While it's true that SATA 3 does not have anything that takes advantage of it, you can bet your behind that someting Will take advantage of it in the future - most likely SSDs. And for that reason, I'd actually hold off on getting an SSD until they start pushing into that SATA3 territory. Nothing wrong with some WD Blacks or Seagate .12s in Raid 0 - plenty fast for most people in fact.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:57 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
...... I'd actually hold off on getting an SSD until they start pushing into that SATA3 territory. ....
that's a non sense. the 6 ghz will not make the SSD faster, it will just feed an array of quite a few SSD without bottleneck. it's bandwidth , not speed.

And please to the OP. don't play with raid 0 to gain speed you will regret it.
Old February 3, 2010, 07:04 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
that's a non sense. the 6 gbps will not make the SSD faster, it will just feed an array of quite a few SSD without bottleneck. it's bandwidth , not speed.
Corrected. I didn't say all SSDs will become faster, what I meant was that in the future, SSDs will be the most likely to benefit from SATA3. Currently, in my opinion, SSDs are still overpriced for their size and speed.

Quote:
And please to the OP. don't play with raid 0 to gain speed you will regret it.
Why not? Perhaps you shouldn't just say "Don't do something" without a good reason.

I can speak from experience however, and voice my opinion without trying to change the mind of the OP:
I've used a 2-4 disk Raid 0 of regular HDDs for the past 4 years without a single failure. I don't "regret" anything about it.
Old February 3, 2010, 07:10 AM
MVP

What he's saying is that SSDs' speeds right now are held back by the 3.0Gbps bus. That's as fast as the SSDs go, but because of the bandwidth they're not pushing them any faster. Once SATA 6Gbps SSDs start coming out that actually utilize the available bandwidth...
Old February 3, 2010, 07:28 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
What he's saying is that SSDs' speeds right now are held back by the 3.0Gbps bus. That's as fast as the SSDs go, but because of the bandwidth they're not pushing them any faster. Once SATA 6Gbps SSDs start coming out that actually utilize the available bandwidth...

You not serious I don't want to argue but you totally in the ditch . it's time AkG or Lowfat came here. In no way an actual single SSD can reach 3.0 Gbps
Old February 3, 2010, 07:33 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
You not serious I don't want to argue but you totally in the ditch . it's time AkG or Lowfat came here. In no way an actual single SSD can reach 3.0 Gbps
Relax MarkOne, Raserei is a little off, no need to explode. SATA2 still isn't maxed out by a single SSD, but it can be by a Raid 0. However, in the future it will be possible for a single SSD to approach those speeds. The only point I had wished to make is that SATA3 will be where all the "new" stuff goes, and is therefore more future-proof.
Old February 3, 2010, 07:34 AM
Rookie

Quote:
He said its limited by it, not that is goes that fast. Its entirely possible he meant it and he seems to imply it but it strikes me as though you have it out for him at this point.

So, what I'm gleaning from this is that maybe I should try a SATA III/ USB 3.0 board because its more future proof?

Last edited by µCephei; February 3, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old February 3, 2010, 07:36 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Corrected. I didn't say all SSDs will become faster, what I meant was that in the future, SSDs will be the most likely to benefit from SATA3. Currently, in my opinion, SSDs are still overpriced for their size and speed.

Why not? Perhaps you shouldn't just say "Don't do something" without a good reason.

I can speak from experience however, and voice my opinion without trying to change the mind of the OP:
I've used a 2-4 disk Raid 0 of regular HDDs for the past 4 years without a single failure. I don't "regret" anything about it.
ok let's have a more productive talk... SSD are still over prized, but at enthusiast level, it's very much acceptable, and for entry level, not to expensive

For the raid 0, I have no problem with the reliability of the drive, but it happen often, that just a small power failure , and you lost the Raid array, at least with the cheap on board solution, I know I experiment it few time, and no raid 0 for me anymore, it's too much a pain to reinstall the OS. All true I was at fault with no UPS. As the performance, you see a huge on in booting time and application opening when switch to raid 0 to SSD, for huge files transfer it's an other story.