Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2010, 11:17 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Low Cost - High Performance?

Hey guys, my friend wants to build a really cheap computer that can run Modern Warfare 2 on all the Highest settings with no freezing or crashing. So basically a really good computer for a extremely low price.
-

The PC will be used mainly for heavy Gaming, General Internet like YouTube & Facebook, Music & Movies.

He told me he wanted it to be as cheap as possible, I asked for a price range and he said he did not know, I would suspect under $1000 AU Dollars ($944CAD)

We would like to be buying the parts from Australian retailers but will also buy from International shippers if needed.

No Fan boy preferences, Whatever will perform the Best for the cheapest will do.

He will be using his Current Monitor & CPU Cooler.

I have Google'd for High End Budget builds but Wanted to ask you guys.

The System should be ran at Default I doubt he will be doing any overclocking.

He would like to build it within the next couple of Months.

He Uses a 1540x1000 Resolution.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He did say he would like it to be able to run just MW2 on Highest settings without any problems, but I also know that he will be purchasing games like Bioshock 2 that he will want to be able to run, I don't think he will be wanting to run games like Crysis on MAX Settings but being able to play it on standard settings would be a bonus.

Thanks Guys!
Old February 1, 2010, 01:43 PM
MVP

Not sure exactly how this works in terms of budget, but you can use it as a good starting place.

M4A79XTD EVO
Phenom II x2 550BE (depending on the cooler and specific processor he may be able to unlock a core or 2)
HD 5770
Corsair TX650W
Any optical drive he can get (may have one left over from his old computer)
Spinpoint F3 1TB (Caviar Black 640 if he can't afford it)
Any of the following cases (whichever he likes best and fits his price):
CM Storm Scout
CM 690 II
CM HAF 922
NZXT Lexa S
NZXT Tempest EVO
NZXT Beta EVO
NZXT Gamma
NZXT M59
Lankool Dragonlord K series (56-62, 62 recommended)

All of this said, I think I may be going a little high for the budget, as if I remember correctly, tech in Australia tends to be very expensive compared to in North America.
Old February 2, 2010, 02:12 AM
Rookie

Or the same setup as above but with the cheaper Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3?
It's not suitable for CrossFire but if your friend isn't going to use it, this solid mobo offers USB3.0 and SATA3.0 already.
Because the VRM has no heat sink, I assume it's not suitable for a heavy OC 24/7 but if OC'ing is not gonna be used, it seems like an excellent mobo.
Or perhaps the ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo?
Old February 2, 2010, 05:10 AM
MVP

The 770TA is a great motherboard, but it doesn't support Crossfire. I'd advise against the M4A785TD-V only because it won't really offer anything extra; the second PCI-E x16 slot only works at x4, so it's not much help for Crossfire anyway. I'd take either the 770TA or the M4A79XTD-EVO.
Old February 2, 2010, 05:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hands down for a budget build go with the EVO for a Motherboard.

If you can afford it , the AMD 720 or 925 would be a good choice if you don't want to try and 'unlock' cores.

For Video Cards well ATi has that in the bag right now, but you could always opt for a GTX260 (I run one and have yet to tax it to the max, running 1900 x 1200).

@Raserie - The EVO is not only a cooler running board (Chipset wise) but always an amazing board if you really do want to OC.

For Ram, hopefully G.Skill is fairly cheap down your way. RipJaws or Tridents would be your best bet, they work flawlessly in my build.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 2, 2010, 05:25 AM
MVP

Well, of course those are the best choices if he can afford them, but budget is a concern.
Old February 2, 2010, 10:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks guys, I will have a look at all the components you have mentioned guys.

Thanks again!
Old February 4, 2010, 01:58 PM
Rookie

How does the 260 compared to the 5770?
Old February 4, 2010, 02:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksword View Post
How does the 260 compared to the 5770?
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Review
Just a pinch below a 260,.
Old February 4, 2010, 04:29 PM
MVP

I would recommend either a Sapphire, ASUS, or MSI one, but yeah, they're about on par with a 260 (a tad lower, maybe).