Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Think there's some issues with some 5xxx series. Pretty sure I something in a thread here yesterday. Go XFX (either), best warranty. EVGA (nvidia) would be good choice also.
Old February 4, 2010, 06:51 PM
MVP

But there's also reports of poor-quality components on XFX's ATI cards. I'd keep away, despite the warranty. As for issues, not really. The only real problem is relatively poor driver support, but that should be patched up quick enough.
Old February 4, 2010, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would go with a 4870 or 4890. They are equal and faster for cheaper and a bit more respectively. I would have to suggest getting a lower quality PSU, as your budget simply doesn't allow for that good of a PSU. I would also suggest a 500GB drive and an NZXT Beta to cut costs more. You NEED to get the best possible GPU out of that budget.
Old February 4, 2010, 09:13 PM
MVP

Something you're not considering, though; PSUs and cases are the major components you'll likely be using in builds to come, so investing a fair bit in them ahead of time is important. Furthermore, GPUs (while the most important in terms of gaming) are replaced most frequently, so they (along with CPUs) are the best places to cut corners (IMO). Basically, I consider it more important to get a core system that you can upgrade easily rather than a higher-powered system that you're going to need to fully replace for the next build. Besides, at his resolution, a 5770 is already a smidgen overkill as it is, and he can always pop in another for the ungodly scaling 5770s get in Crossfire.
Old February 4, 2010, 09:32 PM
Banned
F@H

Toker Toker.... last time you make me crazy with your Extreme , Ultimate , sky is the limit Computer build, with a budget to buy a small country..... something more like in your signature.. ,

Are we talking about the same computer with a limited budget or you want to build a second one

...very nice to see a budget and a Price tag this time
Old February 5, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Something you're not considering, though; PSUs and cases are the major components you'll likely be using in builds to come, so investing a fair bit in them ahead of time is important. Furthermore, GPUs (while the most important in terms of gaming) are replaced most frequently, so they (along with CPUs) are the best places to cut corners (IMO). Basically, I consider it more important to get a core system that you can upgrade easily rather than a higher-powered system that you're going to need to fully replace for the next build. Besides, at his resolution, a 5770 is already a smidgen overkill as it is, and he can always pop in another for the ungodly scaling 5770s get in Crossfire.
I think his friend will be happier with good FPS now and a better PSU later. This build is about raw FPS, not future-proofing.
Old February 5, 2010, 09:48 PM
MVP

His FPS are already good. He's playing at under 1680 x 1050. A 5770 will eat that resolution for breakfast on its own. Why not future proof since he has the room for expansion?
Old February 8, 2010, 02:54 AM
HaDeS

my system runs MW2 maxed at 1920 zero lag. Check the specs. You could OC this cpu on air no problem or get the black edition which has an unlocked multiplier.
Old February 8, 2010, 06:22 AM
Banned
F@H

I don't know what kind of game you are using. I will not say that my 4890 eat everything with my 22" monitor. They play very well in some case but in other case it's just well. you still have place for improvement. I really don't like to see some strange polygon, became slowly a stone or a tree when I walk on a path in Stalker. I rather be at the back of a stone than a tree when some one fire an AK on me me