Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2010, 11:25 AM
MVP

Well, some quick and recent research shows they OC regularly to 3.8-3.9 without much fuss.
Old February 3, 2010, 11:29 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Well, some quick and recent research shows they OC regularly to 3.8-3.9 without much fuss.
facepalm moment... i was thinking of unlocked Ph2 550's, lol. In that case, in the OP's price bracket, a 550 should be a good match. Could always unlock at the cost of a lower OC later i suppose too. My bad Raserei
Old February 3, 2010, 11:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I totally agree that with a higher clockspeed the Ph2 550 would be faster. However, those 550's don't clock to 4.0ghz unfortunately. In fact the highest I've seen them go is about 3.6-3.7Ghz (Correct me if im wrong someone). Those 620's though can hit 3.4-3.5Ghz fairly regularly from what i've seen (albeit not as easily - no multi adjustments), so the difference is negligible IMHO. And games and other applications will be moving to more threads, this is a fact. Otherwise everyone would be struggling to make 5ghz dual-core only, lol.

Lemonlime Unlocked his X2 550 to 4.0Ghz on the M4T785TD-V Evo Board if you read that review here CM.

And I agree although a lot of Games are now being patched to use more than two cores so Multiple cores will be useful. WoW Just got patched yesterday that will allow more than two cores to be used.
Its happening. And 6MB Cache vs 2 of L2 however will also effect things differently.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 3, 2010, 11:59 AM
MVP

That seems like an atypical result. From what I've seen, most unlocked 550s crap out around 3.6GHz. Also, I'd bet to get to 4.0 he'd need around 1.5V running through it. Then again, maybe his 550 really is that beastly.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
That seems like an atypical result. From what I've seen, most unlocked 550s crap out around 3.6GHz. Also, I'd bet to get to 4.0 he'd need around 1.5V running through it. Then again, maybe his 550 really is that beastly.

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO and M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 Motherboards Review

Yeah 1.5 but the right board will deliver that without a hitch and the chip will run fine so long as you got the thermals in check.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old February 3, 2010, 12:19 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO and M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 Motherboards Review

Yeah 1.5 but the right board will deliver that without a hitch and the chip will run fine so long as you got the thermals in check.

ST
I still think that's fairly un-typical. I couldn't even get my 720BE above 3.6-3.7 with 1.45v unlocked. Lemonlime does have considerably more experience than us though.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I still think that's fairly un-typical. I couldn't even get my 720BE above 3.6-3.7 with 1.45v unlocked. Lemonlime does have considerably more experience than us though.
I think for the average user 3.6 is fine. For those who know their way around the BIOS though they have much more experience to do it right.

I get what you're saying.

Regardless I think A quad core is more future game proof than a Dual core, but only if the Quad has L3 like my X4 810.

ST

Old February 3, 2010, 12:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

I should point out that I could only do 4GHz in "dual core" mode. With all cores unlocked it was more like 3.8-3.9 with high volts. Those results are fine for benchmarking, but really not "efficient" for 24/7 use considering the vcore required for that last 200MHz or so.

Most X2 550s should do around 3.6 without issue (assuming they unlock) at reasonable vcore levels. I fold with that exact chip day-in-day-out at 3.4GHz and default vcore, so it is basically a 965
Old February 3, 2010, 12:27 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
I should point out that I could only do 4GHz in "dual core" mode. With all cores unlocked it was more like 3.8-3.9 with high volts. Those results are fine for benchmarking, but really not "efficient" for 24/7 use considering the vcore required for that last 200MHz or so.

Most X2 550s should do around 3.6 without issue (assuming they unlock) at reasonable vcore levels. I fold with that exact chip day-in-day-out at 3.4GHz and default vcore, so it is basically a 965
So 4Ghz is only possible when using two cores! Ah ha! vindication rules, lol.
And how about an Athlon X4 620 lemonlime?
Old February 3, 2010, 12:31 PM
Banned
F@H

So we all agree the OP is good with a 550 ?