Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2010, 08:10 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
@CMetaphor:
Just because he doesn't need a ton of CPU power doesn't mean he should settle when it's the same price. Exactly the same price.

Furthermore, just because the OP states he's an AMD fanboy doesn't mean he shouldn't be informed of the other options.

That said, I don't advise going with LGA 775, since the platform is dying and it just isn't worth the price.
Actually he's not an AMD fanboy, but has been leaning toward and AMD build from minute one. What prices are you speaking of though? I see no Intel quad cores for $100, do you? The cheapest intel quads are more than twice the price (aka 220 or more) and the OP stated he'd give about $125 to each part approx. Just saving $100 bucks on a proc is enough of a reason for some people, lol.
Old February 3, 2010, 08:13 AM
MVP

But why get the AMD quad-core if the dual-core is going to be faster, whether or not he unlocks it? I still hold that as the best option for price / performance, especially within his price range.
Old February 3, 2010, 08:28 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
But why get the AMD quad-core if the dual-core is going to be faster, whether or not he unlocks it? I still hold that as the best option for price / performance, especially within his price range.
I don't quite understand your reasoning here... how will the dual-core be faster if it OCs similarly to the quad (maybe 200-400mhz higher, but not more) but is Not unlocked? Games will notice the extra two cores somewhat now, and moreso in the future.
Old February 3, 2010, 08:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Okay Guys Seriously! Someone is asking for help not the life story of what is good and Bad.

Keep it Civil, or leave the thread to people who will.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 3, 2010, 08:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I suggested G.Skill ram and for good reason. Good ram and not too expensive.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Soultribunal; February 3, 2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Quote Deletion
Old February 3, 2010, 08:52 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Okay Guys Seriously! Someone is asking for help not the life story of what is good and Bad.

Keep it Civil, or leave the thread to people who will.
ST

+1 very good idea
Old February 3, 2010, 10:44 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Very well done Gentlemen. I'm proud of you all. Yes, this is called cynicism. And I'm tired to see threads derail like this one did.

Can't believe you guys can't argue in a civil manner. If I see another reply like those that I have read, I will take action. Understood?
Old February 3, 2010, 12:08 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I don't quite understand your reasoning here... how will the dual-core be faster if it OCs similarly to the quad (maybe 200-400mhz higher, but not more) but is Not unlocked? Games will notice the extra two cores somewhat now, and moreso in the future.
Okay. Let's say you can get the 550 and OC it to 4.0GHz or the 620 and OC it to 3.4GHz. First, in any app that isn't multithreaded (or isn't multithreaded to take advantage of more than 2 cores) the 550 would logically be faster because it's clock speed is higher and the program can't utilize more cores than it has. Therefore, the extra 2 cores of the 620 are useless. However, even in some apps that take advantage of 4 cores (and bear in mind, most games don't) the 550 will sometimes beat out the 620. The two chips use slightly different architectures (Phenom II vs Athlon II), the primary difference being that Athlon IIs don't have L3 cache. This doesn't affect performance as much as you'd expect, but games are examples of apps where the L3 cache is very useful. They'll run better on the Phenom even when they can take advantage of the Athlon's cores.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:13 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Okay. Let's say you can get the 550 and OC it to 4.0GHz or the 620 and OC it to 3.4GHz. First, in any app that isn't multithreaded (or isn't multithreaded to take advantage of more than 2 cores) the 550 would logically be faster because it's clock speed is higher and the program can't utilize more cores than it has. Therefore, the extra 2 cores of the 620 are useless. However, even in some apps that take advantage of 4 cores (and bear in mind, most games don't) the 550 will sometimes beat out the 620. The two chips use slightly different architectures (Phenom II vs Athlon II), the primary difference being that Athlon IIs don't have L3 cache. This doesn't affect performance as much as you'd expect, but games are examples of apps where the L3 cache is very useful. They'll run better on the Phenom even when they can take advantage of the Athlon's cores.
I totally agree that with a higher clockspeed the Ph2 550 would be faster. However, those 550's don't clock to 4.0ghz unfortunately. In fact the highest I've seen them go is about 3.6-3.7Ghz (Correct me if im wrong someone). Those 620's though can hit 3.4-3.5Ghz fairly regularly from what i've seen (albeit not as easily - no multi adjustments), so the difference is negligible IMHO. And games and other applications will be moving to more threads, this is a fact. Otherwise everyone would be struggling to make 5ghz dual-core only, lol.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:21 PM
Banned
F@H

if I go with AMD I will go with a 965 125 watts for sure, but that's me.. I think this one can do 4.0 ghz.