Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2010, 09:05 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
To OP....think thiers someone on our FS thread looking to ditch a GTX 260 Core 216 OC Edition at an extremely reasonable price, pair that up with your BFG and you'll be right up thier performancewise with a new ATI Card at a fraction of the price ;).....then 6 months from now sell em and go Fermi.....or just keep em for Folding :)
I don't have a BFG lol. I have a gigabyte 4870 512 with an accelero and 2 120 fans on it. It's cooler and quieter than stock by a fair margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovok View Post
Just get an Athlon X4 620 and call it a day. It's a $100 quad core. Can't really go wrong there.
I was thinking 2 cores are good enough for gaming and it's cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Actually, cores unlocked or not, a PII 550 BE will do better in games than an AII x4.
I was thinking that.

I already have the Coolermaster 212+ heatsink as per my first post in the thread. Anyone have recommendations for memory?
Old February 2, 2010, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesamess View Post
I don't have a BFG lol. I have a gigabyte 4870 512 with an accelero and 2 120 fans on it. It's cooler and quieter than stock by a fair margin.

I was thinking 2 cores are good enough for gaming and it's cheaper.

I was thinking that.

I already have the Coolermaster 212+ heatsink as per my first post in the thread. Anyone have recommendations for memory?
G.Skill all the way.
Old February 2, 2010, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesamess View Post
See my post.

Actually, since it's Wednesday morning (EST), why don't you wait for the upcoming NCIX sale that starts tonight?
Old February 2, 2010, 10:06 PM
Top Prospect

You're right, although I'm not sure which is best for games, a low clocked unlocked 550 or a high clocked locked 550. Surprising how much difference that L3 cache makes.
Old February 3, 2010, 05:51 AM
MVP

You mean 4 lower cores or 2 higher cores? I'd say go with the 4 cores for better overall CPU performance. It may not do better in games, but it will do better in any CPU-intensive process. Besides, games are far more GPU-dependent as a rule. And the CPU-dependent games are multithreaded.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:12 AM
Banned
F@H

I will go with the 550 .... the Op say he will only game and listen TV. from my experience , my e8400 dual core at 3.0 ghz is faster than my q6600 quad core at 2.66 ghz. and heat less too. Of course if we was talking more seriously ( I means $$$ ) I will go with a i5-750..it will fix the core problem.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:17 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I go for the X4 and do a mild OC. The OP is only running 1680x1050 and certainly doesn't need to crazy in the CPU department. 4 cores running at 3-3.5Ghz will be more than enough, easily.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I will go with the 550 .... the Op say he will only game and listen TV. from my experience , my e8400 dual core at 3.0 ghz is faster than my q6600 quad core at 2.66 ghz. and heat less too. Of course if we was talking more seriously ( I means $$$ ) I will go with a i5-750..it will fix the core problem.
See? I added a quote! It's an Edit!

And stop spewing your Intel garbage, OP has stated his preference - stop trying to change his mind.

Last edited by Soultribunal; February 3, 2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Personal Attack Not needed
Old February 3, 2010, 06:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
No it's not what I means... but for the price the I5 have more than good performance. And the true reason...
Thanks for a candid answer!
I'm only a consumer though and only interested in spending my hard-earned wisely; sufficient 'bang' for the least amount of bucks as I need to choose a quad-core that will last me at least one GPU upgrade.
Decisions, decisions pffff...
Old February 3, 2010, 07:02 AM
MVP

@CMetaphor:
Just because he doesn't need a ton of CPU power doesn't mean he should settle when it's the same price. Exactly the same price.

Furthermore, just because the OP states he's an AMD fanboy doesn't mean he shouldn't be informed of the other options.

That said, I don't advise going with LGA 775, since the platform is dying and it just isn't worth the price.
Old February 3, 2010, 07:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

CMetaphor is right. I've seen many threads where you post 3 or 4 times in a row. Edit button is your friend. Look at your post totals, nearly 2500 since you joined in october 2009.

I'm not saying don't give out advice or tips, just be respectful to others. Have a nice day.

To OP, good luck and have fun with your build.

Last edited by Soultribunal; February 3, 2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Quote Deletion