Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2010, 02:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
my i5-750 run at 4.0 ghz.. , when I buy it it was at 4,2 ghz so much for your bi-Athlon OC ( x2 ...bi- )

sorry I will not put the word amazing and Dam powerfull in the same sentence than an AMD in those day.. And I'm not fan boy...I'm just realistic....
.sorry can resist
So you are saying that anyone who can spare the money should go i5-750 and forget about even considering a, let's say, Phenom II X4 955BE?
Seriously, if the main usage is gaming on a 24" monitor with an ATI HD5850, will an i5-750 make that much a difference in FPS compared to a 955BE?
Actually, I mean, will an i5-750 for instance offer higher minimum frame rates?
I'm not that interested in high maximum frame rates.
Example (numbers are made up); Minimum frame rates like 26 (955) vs. 41 (i5) are more important to me than high maximum frame rates like 160 fps vs. 190.
Old February 2, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesamess View Post
thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to go with this.
Looks good, but the RAM is WAY over-priced. I'd say something like this. For $500 on just those 4 parts, you can consider something like this for the motherboard and CPU and RAM.

NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal Core i5 650 Dual Core W/ HT & Turbo Boost & MSI P55-CD53 DDR3 Motherboard - i5 650 & P55-CD53 In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy Patriot Sector 5 PGV34G1600ELK 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit - PGV34G1600ELK In Canada.

Yes you should get a new hard drive as those are fairly old. I'd say go with a WD Caviar Black like:

NCIX.com - Buy Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 4.2MS 32MB 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM - WD1001FALS In Canada.

If you still plan to keep your $500 budget, then stick with the AMD Phenom II and just unlock it. Oh, and get the Cooler Master HDT-212+.

Since the OP's main use for the rig is gaming, I say stick with the AMD build and spend more money on a GPU instead if required.
Old February 2, 2010, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
please don't tell me you gone put a hx650 with this AMD build..it make me cry...

don't listen the Google boy... 1 year ago he had no idea what was a PC

buy a i5-750.... you will not regret the extra cash you have spent on it

Listen to Mark....many of us here have been "enthusiasts" for years, not Google Fanatics that spew what they've read ;)
'
When I purchased my Classified Board and I7 a year and a bit ago thr were a few Google Fanatics "critisizing" my build as "overkill".....well..here I am over a year later wuth absolutely no intentins nor requirements to "upgrade" any portion of my Rig except GPU's... ;) In th Computer World, I would say that was a pretty good "Future-Proof" build a tad over a year ago.

Old February 2, 2010, 04:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I have actually considered the the i5 750 and the i7 860 but if I get either of those, they will also increase my power consumption ( I believe ) as well as require a more expensive motherboard. I don't want to spend too much on processing power because I'm just gaming, surfing, and watching movies. I don't need a powerful processor to because I don't plan on opening large zip files or calculating massive amounts of spread sheets, or folding. I don't need a quad core for the same reasons but if I can unlock the 550 for two free cores.. why not? I may or may not go that route depending on the heat and over clocking potential.

About the ram... yes I guess those mushkin's are expensive. Should I get the lower clocked ones (1333) or just find dirt cheap 1666/1333? I like mushkin memory because my previous set ran perfect. Another reason was because of MushkinGreg but he had to quit his job at Mushkin.

The HX650W would be waste in this system Mark?
Old February 2, 2010, 04:34 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Listen to Mark....many of us here have been "enthusiasts" for years, not Google Fanatics that spew what they've read ;)
'
When I purchased my Classified Board and I7 a year and a bit ago thr were a few Google Fanatics "critisizing" my build as "overkill"..........
I know , and I'm sorry you take it personally RJ, I don't means that AMD guy are google boy... it was a reply to Raserei , in each post he said that he read some place.... so the title of google boy... because I don't even read a review half of the time when I buy something. I make my own review my self. May be not the best thing to do but it's what I do.

At one moment the Athlon was ruling over the Intel one. Even the 386 AMD at the time was the best 386 , I have nothing agains AMD we need them to keep the Intel at low cost. They need to survive too If I have not switch to bigadv... I will have buy few 790fx 4 slot board to fold with GPU. bigadv is to much cost saving to do so. I'm very happy when someone buy one. But I will not recommend one as a performing PC, not for now.. When I made a sugestion I try to do it with for the benefit of the OP , or the client, not for my convictions.

I even start to sell AMD low cost PC to some customer since 2 months.
Old February 2, 2010, 04:47 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Down View Post
So you are saying that anyone who can spare the money should go i5-750 and forget about even considering a, let's say, Phenom II X4 955BE?
Seriously, if the main usage is gaming on a 24" monitor with an ATI HD5850, will an i5-750 make that much a difference in FPS compared to a 955BE?
Actually, I mean, will an i5-750 for instance offer higher minimum frame rates?
I'm not that interested in high maximum frame rates.
Example (numbers are made up); Minimum frame rates like 26 (955) vs. 41 (i5) are more important to me than high maximum frame rates like 160 fps vs. 190.

No it's not what I means... but for the price the I5 have more than good performance. And the true reason, I have very bad experience with AMD RMA in the past the time I was selling CPU and motherboard to customers, 90 days on OEm and 1 year on the cpu, always a reason to not pay, have to give an invoice for the RMA... now I don't sell part anymore, so no RMA problem.. And at a time you don't have AMD chipset,they was using via and sis one.. with Intel , I have contact name, IDC conference twice a year in Montreal, money back on their product, advance RMA with out spending a cents. So for me it's an add on value to my customer, I give them the money Intel return to me in the quote.

Si I'm not an Intel boy, they just give me more info, better support and better warranty, even if I don't use it. As Channel member with them I even have special phone to call for support, and you don't even need a volume for that, I just need to buy my cpu from an authorize Intel distributor, they send a copy of every Intel product I sell , to Intel. Same reason I buy a GM, the dealer is in my town and give me good dam service.. I don't even go see other place before buy there.
Old February 2, 2010, 04:54 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesamess View Post
The HX650W would be waste in this system Mark?
oups you have the wrong guy , it's Zero who always said I over PSU..

no a good PSU is never too good.

If you look at the power usage of the i5-750 , the Intel CPU speed management ( will have to really make an effort to know the name ) and the turbo mode... not sure the power usage is the problem.... and personally since you talk about the board, I found the manufacturer do more beautiful one for the Intel chipset than the amd one..normal the market is there. What you want it's me if I don't like the look of the board, even if it's the best one I don't buy it

And I say in an other post why I prefer Intel, it's the add on value I like. not the name.
Old February 2, 2010, 04:57 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Down View Post

Just an add on since you link my OC laugh on AMD.. what you want I do , the guy show me off as argument , that is AMD is clocking at 3.00 ghz.. when we know that clocking a I5 750 at 4 ghz is a walk in the park.. it was really not a good selling point no.
Old February 2, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quadruple posting by Mark ftw And you're comparing stock clocks to usual overclocks. A Phenom II can easily hit at least 3.6Ghz too provided you spent a bit of time overclocking, just like how you'll have to spend a bit of time overclocking a Core i5.

@OP. In that case, stick with your build, but change the RAM to maybe the RAM that I linked. Better bang for buck.
Old February 2, 2010, 05:53 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Quadruple posting by Mark ftw And you're comparing stock clocks to usual overclocks. A Phenom II can easily hit at least 3.6Ghz too provided you spent a bit of time overclocking, just like how you'll have to spend a bit of time overclocking a Core i5.

@OP. In that case, stick with your build, but change the RAM to maybe the RAM that I linked. Better bang for buck.

with my Maximus III board as example, you just put 200 block in the bios and even in automatic setting it will give you 4 ghz... and it will give you 1.31 volts in CPUz ...and under 67'c with a good cooler on the OCCT test ..... not too bad for a dummy OC ..... how much time you need for that.. 1 click in the bios ...... how much experience you need to bring a Phenom to 4 ghz