Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2010, 12:27 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesamess View Post
UPDATE: the waiting game sucks.
that something I can understand VERY MUCH ......
Old February 5, 2010, 12:43 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
What I don't get ..is to buy a more expensive board for a budget gaming , just to be able to crossfire later... would be not more budget wise to save on the board and to sell the gpu and buy a single one more performing when needed ?
xfire do not make miracle. of course on a high end pc xfire can be the only way to increase performance , but I was not impress last fall with my HD4890, ..but there the budget is less limited. so few 16x slot more do not make a difference.
Crossfire not a miracle? Debatable. Crossfired 5770s are the best high-end price / performance you can get right now. The scaling is off the charts. Most benchmarks allow 2 5770s (under $350) to perform around the level of a 5870 ($400), but in a few it'll do even better. I've seen DiRT 2 benchmarks with scaling > 100%.
Old February 5, 2010, 01:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Crossfire not a miracle? Debatable. Crossfired 5770s are the best high-end price / performance you can get right now. The scaling is off the charts. Most benchmarks allow 2 5770s (under $350) to perform around the level of a 5870 ($400), but in a few it'll do even better. I've seen DiRT 2 benchmarks with scaling > 100%.
Yeah but now you start getting in the Above and Beyond Range for what started as a Single Graphics Solution.
So that should be saved for another conversation.
I am sure Any setup with 8X 8X electrical Lanes will be X-Fire Supremecy however right now short term that isn't the OP's intentions and therefore should not be brought in and throwing the whole post off.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 5, 2010, 04:09 PM
Banned
F@H

thanks ST , to the Op...listen ST here... he have experience in what is saying about AMD board...

I was trying to explain to the OP to use a Single card. and no need to find a crossfire board for a budget Build. I believe in balance when I build a PC ....

Everyone look for more powerful GPU . here what I did when I was not satisfy of my 4890 ( with or without xfire ) I switch from a 24" to a 22"... for be able to wait for the 5870 or the fermi ... that make a And honestly I prefer my 22" than my 24" for gaming.. the screen is more close, I'm more in the action....was giving me pain in the neck to scroll the size of the 24"

very good option to stay on budget too.
Old February 5, 2010, 05:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
I'm not speaking from experience as I haven't tried, but with 5670s, I think you'd be ok in a 16x4 configuration. You'd probably see a small difference in benchmark results, but I doubt you'd feel much of a difference between 8x8 and 16x4. Higher end cards would definitely feel the bottleneck though.
According to this techPowerUp review, lower-end/mid-range cards should indeed be able to run on x4 lanes.
I'd sure be interested in test results with a pair of 5670's or 5750's on a x16x4 mobo setup.
High resolutions will still be no-go I guess.
Old February 7, 2010, 01:04 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

UPDATE: so I picked up my parts and built it. All cores unlocked. I pushed it to 4.0ghz and Windows loads but that's all it can do at the that over-clock. It's currently running at 3.8ghz and I'm going to try to keep it at that. Doing the OCCT testing at the moment. the ram auto runs at lousy timings and at 1333mhz I think. I'm going to have to fix that later....I tried setting it right away to 7-8-7 24 1600 but doesn't post lol.

forgot to mention that the side panels for the tower were extremely difficult to remove... I had to get backup for removing one of them. Also note that I can't mount fans on the main side panel as the 212+ tower is too tall which leaves no room for the top fan mount. The acellero is big preventing me from mounting the bottom fan on the side panel. :(

Last edited by wesamess; February 7, 2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old February 7, 2010, 05:10 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesamess View Post
forgot to mention that the side panels for the tower were extremely difficult to remove... I had to get backup for removing one of them. :(
don't make me start a rants about side panels believe420 it or not the only case I enjoy to remove the side panel is my Dell XPS 420