Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2010, 09:17 PM
Rookie

Yea.. I am thinking I am going to stick with the Western Digital Black Hard Drive (I have never had any failure with them but I have heard of stories with Samsung drives) Also, I can't find it @ my local computer stores.

Can someone explain to me what folding is, I have googled it but nothing computer-related beside the protein folding thing showed up.

I actually plan on doing some OCing so I will look into it once I get all my parts.

I also plan on doing some SLI or CrossFire so I am looking for 2 cheaper GPU to get the same result as a high-end GPU
Old February 2, 2010, 05:13 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamon View Post
Yea.. I am thinking I am going to stick with the Western Digital Black Hard Drive (I have never had any failure with them but I have heard of stories with Samsung drives) Also, I can't find it @ my local computer stores.

Can someone explain to me what folding is, I have googled it but nothing computer-related beside the protein folding thing showed up.

I actually plan on doing some OCing so I will look into it once I get all my parts.

I also plan on doing some SLI or CrossFire so I am looking for 2 cheaper GPU to get the same result as a high-end GPU
"Folding" is short for "Folding@home," a program that uses CPU or GPU power to simulate protein folding. Basically it trades some processing power (and electricity) for medical research for cancer, Parkinson's, etc.
If you want to do dual-cards, I'd suggest the 5770s; they're powerful enough, and the scaling is off-the-charts.
Old February 2, 2010, 05:54 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
stick with the highest single GPU you can afford . SLI and Crossfire do not always perform well , it depends on the games. what is your monitor resolution ?
Old February 2, 2010, 09:03 AM
MVP

Well, the dual-cards aren't planned for now. OP is planning to get it later (I presume due to budget constraints). Besides, as a general rule, 5770 x 2 performance is incredible (~5850-5870 in most games)
Old February 2, 2010, 09:06 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Well, the dual-cards aren't planned for now. OP is planning to get it later (I presume due to budget constraints). Besides, as a general rule, 5770 x 2 performance is incredible (~5850-5870 in most games)

I'm not talking about dual GPU card I'm talking about invest on the highest Single card , insted of go SLI or Xfire , But my recommendation will go also with dual onboard GPU, stick with a single card with a single GPU
Old February 2, 2010, 02:38 PM
Rookie

I am thinking of doing a single cheap GPU for now (GTX 260 or something) while I want for the new GPU Fermi to come out.. does that sound good?
Old February 2, 2010, 03:21 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
I am thinking of doing a single cheap GPU for now (GTX 260 or something) while I want for the new GPU Fermi to come out.. does that sound good?

that's a good idea too. the GTX 260 is the most easy card to sell here..every folder want 1,2,3, 12, 24, 100 of them . and a side... the gtx 260 will make you a dam good physX dedicated GPu to go with your fermi ( if it's still possible with the fermi of course ) And even if you decide to go ATI, they will lower the price..Unless NVIDIA is exaggerating with the Fermi price , and that will not surprise me.
Old February 2, 2010, 04:12 PM
MVP

I'd say get a 250 or 9800 GT; they're much better dedicated PhysX (not because they're more powerful but because they're cheaper and use less power, not to mention they're significantly less expensive). That said, ATI 5xxx are here and they perform very well; a 5770 is very comparable to a 260 but with the added benefits of DX11 (not to mention they run cooler and use far less power).
Old February 2, 2010, 05:28 PM
Banned
F@H

He may be better my a net book with an Atom and play solitaire if the consummation is such a problem
Old February 2, 2010, 07:30 PM
MVP

Oh **** off. You know as well as I do that power consumption is important, and there's no reason to waste power running a 260 for PhysX. Just because my opinion on the best choice differs from yours doesn't mean you have to be an ass about it.