Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2010, 03:44 PM
Rookie

Default New Multimedia PC Help

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Video editing, photo editing

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
$1000

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
--

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Monitor, keyboard, mouse, drives, DVD, case

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Been researching intel/amd

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
beginning of February

9. What resolution do you use?
1920 x 1080

Hi there, I'm looking into upgrading my current computer. I use it primarily for graphics/photo editing and video editing so need something with some power. I have 3 computers right now and usually shuffle the parts down from one to another. I've kinda been partial to AMD, so all of them are running with AMD parts right now. However, I was looking at the intel i7-920 and was wondering how that would compare to AMD.

I came across these specs using the i7-920, although a bit spendy for what I was thinking but was wondering what would comparable specs be for the amd?

CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model HX3X12G1600C9 G
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
PNY VCQFX1800-PCIE-PB Quadro FX 1800 768MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I haven't upgraded my computers in 4 years and always feel like I need to relearn everything.

Thanks,
nick
Old January 31, 2010, 05:14 PM
MVP

That's a solid build, there's only a couple things I would change;
First, if you're not OCing (not sure why you wouldn't but...anyway, that motherboard is overkill unless it has some feature you really need. I'd look into a P6T SE or EVGA X58 LE.

Second, you're overpaying on the RAM. You can pick up 2 sets of 3 x 2GB 1600MHz RAM for $150 each. The RAM may not OC well, but it will run at stock speeds and you're not planning to OC anyway.

I might have recommended a different video card, but I don't know nearly enough about workstation cards to make an informed comment.
Old January 31, 2010, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Good Ram and lots of it

Vidio and photo rendering require good ram and if I were to sugest an upgrade to your sysstem it would be anuther set of 6 GB ram. The otther thing is a good Heatsink when you are doing vidio rendering it eats boath CPU and Ram. I am lisening to streem of music and have two other windows open and am using 1.89 GB of RAM of 6 GB that I have. You will need a 64 Bit Operating System VISTA ir WIN 7 to utalise more than 4 GB of RAM in OS. I have an EVGA X58 SLI and in some aplications and benches i will have all the ram comitted with very litte free.

More Ram = More WIndows Open and running at the same time

EDIT : Anouther 12 GB would hard to bet stable( and extreem ) in you would have to buy 24 GB kit or fiddile in bios

12 should be good :)

Last edited by ZZLEE; January 31, 2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old January 31, 2010, 06:35 PM
MVP

First, he already has 12GB of RAM picked out (and I recommended getting 2 6GB kits). I assume he knows about 32-bit limitations. As for 24GB, even doing hardcore video editing no one uses more than 12GB of RAM. Besides, then you need to get into 4GB DIMMs of RAM, which are very expensive (and likely won't fit on his budget; 3 x 4GB DIMMs cost 800USD).

Second, a heatsink won't do anything for the CPU and RAM consumption; if he OCs a heatsink is a must as i7 processors get VERY hot, but he's not planning to overclock anyway. I might recommend getting a Hyper 212 Plus anyway, just because the stock cooler struggles to cool stock processors.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:45 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I should've mentioned that I'll be running Win 7 64 bit. I don't know how to OC so that's why I said I'd be using the defaults . I've read about it before but was never really sure how or if I should do it?

Since the intel is more spendy, is there something comparable in the AMD line? I've read some about the Phenom. It's a little slower, I guess, but also cheaper? Just trying to save some bucks if I can.

Thanks,
nick

(oh, sorry, actually it's a "she", not a "he" )
Old January 31, 2010, 09:52 PM
MVP

Sadly, there's nothing by AMD that really competes with Intel's X58. If you want to save some money, though, you could go with a P55 platform. With an i7 860 and a solid motherboard, you'd have a great computer for CPU-heavy stuff, and it'll probably cost $150-200 less depending on how much RAM and which motherboard you use.

As for OCing, if you don't know how, just read up a little bit. I'm not really confident in i7 OCing procedures, but there are plenty of guides explaining how to do it. OCing on a P55 rig is even easier, so I've heard. Just make sure to get yourself a good aftermarket sink (as I said, Hyper 212 Plus) and read for an hour or so and you'll be good to go.
Old January 31, 2010, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Carfull

Overclocking an i7 uses less voltage than an 775 or AMD. You probaly wont have to overclock but to get good preforance. The 12 GB RAM you picked is actualy cheaper per GB than what I payed fore mine. There is no feedback at Newegg whitch means it is new. They are a good brand name. A Ram kit that is picked to work together is important fore what you intend to do The 12 GB kit is KInd of like tuned to work together.

Welcome to the forums
Old February 1, 2010, 04:37 PM
Rookie

Darn this gets confusing!

Ok, so how much would an AMD system cost using the Phenom II 955 and an ASUS M4A78t-e? What RAM and graphics card would you use with that? Just trying to get costs down, if I can (hubby always grimaces when it's time to upgrade , although I give him my old parts, haha).

**** So here's what I'm thinking now (leaning towards AMD):

Phenom II x4 955 BE
Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Gigabyte MA790XT
Corsair 4gb pc12800 ddr3 1600 mhz .... would this RAM work? do I need more?

Thanks,
nick

Last edited by keznick; February 4, 2010 at 02:46 PM.