Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2010, 02:27 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New i7 system means hardware shuffle - how would you arrange it?

I just pulled the trigger on a new Core i7 system including:
Core i7 920
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 3x2GB
Seasonic M12D 750W
OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD

I intend to augment that with parts in my two existing rigs to come out with two improved computers. My setup right now is in my signature. The main rig is used for gaming (MS Flight Sim and a few others) and as a media center. The second rig is used in my office for web browsing, MS Office, Photoshop, etc. Both rigs are folding almost 24/7.

I also have a BFG 9800GT kicking around from before some upgrades that I can bring into the mix.

I want to come out with the best possible gaming machine as my main rig and the most possible folding ppd in total. Here's how I envision it:

Main Rig V2:
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Core i7 920
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 3x2GB
2x eVGA GT260 Core 216 in SLI
1x OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD
3x WD Blue 640GB
Pioneer 216 DVD-RW
Seasonic M12D 750W

Office/Folding Rig V2:
Gigabyte G31 mATX
Q9550
Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL5 4GB
BFG 9800GT
1x WD Black 500GB
1x WD Green 1TB
Samsung DVD-RW
BFG GS-550 Modular
Antec Mini P180

Basically, the office rig doesn't change much, but it gives up the GT260 so I can SLI them in the main rig, and I replace that with the 9800GT. I double the RAM on the office rig (slower yes, but more=better for photo editing and folding). I have to leave the G31 in the office machine, since I like the Mini P180 but it only holds an mATX mobo.

Would you do something different with that jumble of parts?

Thanks for the advice/comments.

~Jay
Old January 30, 2010, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default What heat sink

THe factory 920 heat sink is Fail. Invest in a good heatsink fore both rigs. The best that will fit in the cases. :)
Old January 30, 2010, 03:39 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Fair enough. I should mention that I have the OCZ Vendetta 2 on both Q9550s right now. I haven't settled on a heat sink for the Core i7 yet, but I have plans to at some point. What's the best cooling per dollar that will fit in an Antec 300?
Old January 30, 2010, 03:47 PM
MVP

Not sure why you got an Antec 300 (and if you haven't actually gotten it yet I'd advise against it) but the best bang / buck cooler is the Hyper 212 Plus. It's cheap and performs damn well. If you want more performance, I'd suggest either the Zalman Flex (though you'll need to supply your own fan(s)) or the Titan Fenrir (which is great, if loud).
Old January 30, 2010, 04:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the cooler suggestions - I'll look into them.

The reason I'm using the Antec 300 is because that's what I have in my current rig, and I'm recycling it.
Old January 30, 2010, 04:27 PM
MVP

Fair enough, though it's probably the first component I'd upgrade.
Old January 30, 2010, 04:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Having survived working with that case for a year and a half, I definitely see your point. I don't care about the aesthetics so much, but it does collect dust and has lots of sharp edges.

Of course, a bunch of other features are lacking, but I don't miss most of them like eSATA/1394 on the front panel. The only other real beef I have with it is the difficulty dealing with the hard drive bays.
Old January 30, 2010, 08:09 PM
MVP

I hear ya. My major problems are cramped space, the HDD nightmare (same deal on the 900 I'm using) and the total lack of cable management. It was a good case in its day, but the fact that people still seem so intent on buying them astounds me. Either the Beta Evo or Gamma for the same or less money is a MUCH better case (although you should add a fan or two to either case).
Old January 31, 2010, 07:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerjay_47 View Post
Fair enough. I should mention that I have the OCZ Vendetta 2 on both Q9550s right now. I haven't settled on a heat sink for the Core i7 yet, but I have plans to at some point. What's the best cooling per dollar that will fit in an Antec 300?
Like Raserei408, mentioned, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is the best bang for buck you can get.

Great cooler in the ~$30 range.