Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2010, 09:05 AM
Rookie

Default i7 build

hey i'm en route to building a new machine for folding and torn between 4 pcie slot amds and i7 for just for the fun of it. will prob be starting to purchase parts soon and building in about 2 weeks or so. mind you, i'm trying to keep this cheap as possible. i'm looking for around 700 to 750 US. i may take a trip to boston for cheaper i7 and buying some used things if i can get my hands on them.

Foxconn FlamingBlade LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-920 or 930 if it's on the verge of release
OCZ Gold 6GB

and will be re using HDD or off of a flash drive

still need to look into PSU, GPU, and heatsinks. recommendations are welcome.

Last edited by fruity; January 27, 2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old January 27, 2010, 12:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default re

Hi sir, there is the recommendation I would like to submit to you for your new build.

With the new price adjustment that Intel have done (i3 and new i5 going out), the i5 750 is really well priced and offer a great performance/price ratio.
Maybe that could be an idea.

But if you want to really go with the i7 built the 920 is still applicable, but with a Asrock motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163

For the price difference, it sound better!
;)

Now for the psu, depend on all your need, tell us more!
Old January 27, 2010, 08:19 PM
MVP

For a motherboard I'd recommend the EVGA X58 LE. A lot of personal preference though.

As mentioned above, the PSU is going to depend a lot on the rest of the system. As a general rule, though, I'd recommend buying from Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, or Seasonic. They're about the three best manufacturers out there (though all else being equal I'd go with Corsair over the others).

For a heatsink, you could use stock, but if you want to do any kind of OCing I'd recommend the Hyper 212 Plus. Best bang/buck you can get.

For the GPU, I'm assuming you're gaming. What resolution monitor are you using? Also, if you have a GPU from your current build that can be carried over for a bit, that's probably best, as in a few months there's expected to be a large price drop on everything AMD, and Fermi will release.