Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   what its the point of stress testing? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/28234-what-its-point-stress-testing.html)

kuziwk January 26, 2010 05:47 PM

what its the point of stress testing?

i just build my q6600 and everyone is talking about prime95 its so stupid, i ran it at my 3.5 oc its a b3 btw. I know i need to up my voltages becuase prime 95 gives the bsod after a minute, but i ran 3d mark 06 and it runs fine so why do i need to stress test im too lazy to up my voltages and what program will use all four cores max at once?

odis172 January 26, 2010 05:55 PM

When you stress test, your checking that the system is 100% fully stable under all conditions. This is important if your going to be running an overclock 24/7. Otherwise it is likely you will experience infrequent BSOD, lockups while in the heat of an online cod4 match when your tied, crashes after working on that assignment for an hour while forgetting to save, etc. Do your self a favor, if your going to OC, follow the advice of the experts and do it right the first time.

kuziwk January 26, 2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odis172 (Post 323925)
When you stress test, your checking that the system is 100% fully stable under all conditions. This is important if your going to be running an overclock 24/7. Otherwise it is likely you will experience infrequent BSOD, lockups while in the heat of an online cod4 match when your tied, crashes after working on that assignment for an hour while forgetting to save, etc. Do your self a favor, if your going to OC, follow the advice of the experts and do it right the first time.

il get around to it than, so is not going to screw anything up right if i dont? it just gives bsod which protects the mobo, or what?

odis172 January 26, 2010 06:13 PM

Well frequent bsod could lead to data loss/windows not booting properly, but you should be okay for the short term. If your running raid 0, its even more important to have a stable system, dont want corrupt data screwing the raid up.

kuziwk January 26, 2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odis172 (Post 323933)
Well frequent bsod could lead to data loss/windows not booting properly, but you should be okay for the short term. If your running raid 0, its even more important to have a stable system, dont want corrupt data screwing the raid up.

not sure if my motherboard supports raid its the p45 ud3l

Zero82z January 26, 2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuziwk (Post 323939)
not sure if my motherboard supports raid its the p45 ud3l

No, your motherboard does not have RAID support.

Perineum January 26, 2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuziwk (Post 323922)
....why do i need to stress test im too lazy to up my voltages.....

I actually don't know what to say to this..... :sad:

Signal2Noise January 26, 2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuziwk (Post 323922)
... why do i need to stress test im too lazy to up my voltages...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 323957)
I actually don't know what to say to this..... :sad:

I do. OP should go buy more cheese puffs and give his/her computer to someone who'll properly take care of it. :whistle:

sswilson January 26, 2010 07:30 PM

Heh... well aside from the other remarks....

The main reason to stress test any new hardware (OC'd or Not) is to verify that everything is working properly, and that it isn't going to crap out on you 1 day after your 30 day no-questions-asked-return warranty. I stress test every piece of hardware I get.... especially important for finding things like a poor heatsink mount (high core temps), bad/incompatible memory (memtest 386+ craps out), fubarred cooling on your vid card (starts crapping out after 30 minutes+ of vid stressing), etc...... there's a lot more than just your OC that can go wrong.

It's also quite handy to know that everything is working properly on your system so that you can go back to the person who wrote the crap code and tell them they need a patch to fix the "software" problem.

chrisk January 26, 2010 07:51 PM

If you get BSODs when doing important stuff, you will find the time to either roll back your OC or up those voltages. Hopefully you will not waste anyone's time testing video cards, ram, psus, etc. only to realize that your OC was not done correctly.