Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2010, 03:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default New i5 Rig Built And Tested - Small Review

Hello everyone.
Was lurking around here for a bit starting a few threads with questions about hardware combinations. I was looking for a computer for content creation and gaming. Thanks to research and helpful tips from everyone here I was confident enough to put in an order. Everything I ordered was either from BestDirect.ca or DirectCanda.com. I had to get in on the free shipping and no pst to make the budget work. Also BestDirect.ca had the i5 for $199 yeeeah. Now this was purchased more than 2 weeks ago but due to snail mail and unrelated stuff I didn't have time until now.

Anyway I figured I'd throw together a little review.

Hardware:
CPU - Core i5 750
MOBO - Gigabtye P55M-UD2
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 5770 XTreme Edition
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
ODD - LG Super Multi DVD Burner
PSU - Antec TRUEPOWER NEW 550W
HSF - Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Logitech G9 Laser Gaming Mouse
Logitech 200 Spill Resistant USB Keyboard

Everything arrived from both places at the same time which was nice. Everything went together rather smooth and was pleased with the whole process. Rig booted right up and had no problems with any hardware. Was easily able to set the RAM to the proper timing and was on my way. All drivers and software were the latest from the websites.

Goodies

Inside My Old Case

Closeup

I'll be getting a new case soon but I didn't see it making a difference for the time being.

I will overclock the system in the future but for now everything is at stock clocks. I ran 3DMark Vantage to see what she's got. For 3DMark Vantage I didn't change anything just left it set to "Performance".

Final Thoughts:
If anyone is thinking of getting a similar system at this point in time I would recommend any of these components. As well as buying from BestDirect.ca and DirectCanada.com, good deals and who doesn't love saving a little on tax.

The system works amazingly well with the entire Adobe Creative Suite 4 and is great at multitasking.
I can be scanning the system, downloading a movie, uncompressing something with WinRAR and more. I absolutely love it!

Well once again thanks to everyone that threw a couple tips and opinions this way. It's appreciated.
Happy building everyone.
Old January 17, 2010, 08:25 PM
Top Prospect

Nice ... congrats.

Just finished my i5 build as well and now I'm trying my hand at some overclocking at 3.8 Ghz and torture testing with Prime95.

Enjoy your computer.
Old January 17, 2010, 10:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

cool mang. check your wPrime score at 32M